Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I thought VW were planning to make a Buzz based EV Cali, but that was shelved as it would be too heavy. Also, I haven’t heard that they plan to make a Transit based Cali.
Yeah was meant to be based off the buzz. Didn’t realise it had been scraped but did know currently the buzz cargo has a 700kg payload which is low.

Yeah was meant to be based off the buzz. Didn’t realise it had been scraped but did know currently the buzz cargo has a 700kg payload which is low.
Not sure, but isn't there a long wheel base (hopefully higher payload) Buzz..maybe that will be a California? Hope so

I spoke to VW Birmingham today who sell alot of Californias. They said they had only replaced the bellows on one vehicle, they replaced it for a second time on the same vehicle.
This doesn't make it seem that the problem is as wide spread as this thread seems to suggest. I hope not, our new Cali has just been given conformed build week 18, and I'm not looking forward to the first wet and windy day.

Cargo LWB still to be released. Think it’s targeted for the USA market but we will obviously get it too.

Payload will prob be 1000kg.

Last edited:
ID Buzz, leaking pop tops. Keep on topic lads.it

I spoke to VW Birmingham today who sell alot of Californias. They said they had only replaced the bellows on one vehicle, they replaced it for a second time on the same vehicle.
This doesn't make it seem that the problem is as wide spread as this thread seems to suggest. I hope not, our new Cali has just been given conformed build week 18, and I'm not looking forward to the first wet and windy day.
Dealers aren’t going to be shouting from the rooftops regarding how many returns they have imo. I’d take what they say with a grain of salt.

They want to sell vehicles.

The majority of buyers probably haven’t tested their pop top out in the required weather, or use a wrap or only use in summer weather.

No one really knows how widespread this issue is. Probably we will never know.

There is an issue with O4S bellows, for some this has been sufficient for them to reject their vans.

How much of an issue is this likely to be for you? This will depend on your use case...and if you are happy with the prospect of your new van (maybe) requiring a warranty replacement bellows if it leaks (in your use case).

Are you going to use the van for a few month trip touring? Will you use it mainly as a day van? Are you travelling alone? Are you a travelling family of four?

Understandably some do not want to have a new van go back to a dealership to have the roof replaced - others do not mind?

It is always going to be true that a forum thread specific to a problem/issue may have built in bias/provoke anxiety.

I think this particular thread is pretty balanced, although some may not agree.

VW have put in place some revisions. Which is good. A further revision may be required.

Not much help i know :)

Cargo LWB still to be released. Think it’s targeted for the USA market but we will obviously get it too.

Payload will prob be 1000kg.
I've always fancied the idea of a Buzz camper, so i hope it becomes a reality one day...i had an old air cooled type 2 camper (which kind of looked similar), relatively small and a bit basic, but loads of fun and took us all over.

I've always fancied the idea of a Buzz camper, so i hope it becomes a reality one day...i had an old air cooled type 2 camper (which kind of looked similar), relatively small and a bit basic, but loads of fun and took us all over.
There are 3rd party converters already doing it.

Mines being built the next week 19

I spoke to Adrian today before I am due to pick up my van next week. To be honest I think the approach is the correct one although it’s slow . He was explaining there was still an ongoing investigation with 04S bellows to determine if the leaks were due to quality issues with some or a design issue with all. He explained this would take some time to conclude given the potential consequences of not getting it right.

There is also full commitment this issue will be resolved and that he was currently waiting on confirmation that waterproofing could be used as an interim solution for affected vans.

I’ve made the descision to go ahead with my collection. If I was going to reject the van I’m sure VW would reimburse the cost of a cover as an alternative option until they get the long term fix sorted rather than the hassle of a rejected van.
Hi Mike,
I'm also picking my new Cali up in a few weeks, I like your cautious approach...

If your able to could you please let me have Adrians direct phone number, I think I will also give him a call to express my concerns over watergate saga...

That's nothing to do with the poptop, it's a windscreen cover.
The post said pop top problem areas and then a link,so I assume they are going to attach it to the front of the pop top to prevent leaks. The screen doesn't leak as far as I'm aware. As for would I be a maybe for a new 6.1? No chance

Back