Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I wondered whether to start a new survey / post or ask the question here. I'll start with here...

Anyone on here taken delivery of a California since 01st August 23?

If so, do your bellows:

Leak
Watertight
Don't know
Yes. 1st September. It leaked two days ago in light rain In France. build date does say end of April on the tag though.

Critical build for a more water resistant bellows is beginning of July. Probably a little too soon to see those at the dealers

There’s another 23 Ocean on the campsite we’re on (Mull) that has lowered its roof about an hour into a rainstorm hitting. Coincidence perhaps?!

Critical build for a more water resistant bellows is beginning of July. Probably a little too soon to see those at the dealers
Agreed, but anecdotally the number of new folks reporting issues here seems to have reduced to a trickle.

(Sorry couldn't resist the pun)

I wondered whether to start a new survey / post or ask the question here. I'll start with here...

Anyone on here taken delivery of a California since 01st August 23?

If so, do your bellows:

Leak
Watertight
Don't know
Yes!
- Collected on 2nd August.
- Leaked when tested (twice)
- Rejected 30 days later
- Two days later back up for sale again!

My biggest concern for those with the issues are the owners who aren't 'in the know' via forums, groups and so on, and not actually testing/experiencing wet weather yet.

We've had our Ocean for 3 years now, and I can count on one hand the amount of times the roof has been hit with moisture, let alone rain. If we had a new Cali and not part of this forum, we'd be none the wiser.

I worry some owners wont know theirs aren't waterproof for a little while and potentially outside of a warranty window.

My biggest concern for those with the issues are the owners who aren't 'in the know' via forums, groups and so on, and not actually testing/experiencing wet weather yet.

We've had our Ocean for 3 years now, and I can count on one hand the amount of times the roof has been hit with moisture, let alone rain. If we had a new Cali and not part of this forum, we'd be none the wiser.

I worry some owners wont know theirs aren't waterproof for a little while and potentially outside of a warranty window.
Even more troubling for a euro spec Cali owner and the standard 2 year warranty.

Yes!
- Rejected 30 days later
Wow ok. I’m sorry to hear you decided to reject. And quite shocked to hear they ignored the issue and just put it straight up for sale. Goes to show how seriously this dealer takes the leaking bellows problem…!

Wow ok. I’m sorry to hear you decided to reject. And quite shocked to hear they ignored the issue and just put it straight up for sale. Goes to show how seriously this dealer takes the leaking bellows problem…!
Tough one as I’m not really sure what else to expect in the absence of any info from VWCV…I can’t see any dealer leaving it sat deprectiating on their forecourt for potentially months in the hope (and that’s all it seems to be at this stage) that a fix might come. Not least because these vans need to be driven regularly to avoid other issues.

Thankfully Kayleigh is now free of the worry at least, which I am very pleased about.

Tough one as I’m not really sure what else to expect in the absence of any info from VWCV…I can’t see any dealer leaving it sat deprectiating on their forecourt for potentially months in the hope (and that’s all it seems to be at this stage) that a fix might come. Not least because these vans need to be driven regularly to avoid other issues.

Thankfully Kayleigh is now free of the worry at least, which I am very pleased about.
Yes but just 2 days later? Seems like they haven’t taken it very seriously.

I get that of course, but how long is reasonable for them to put it back up for sale to show they’ve taken it seriously? They have no fix right now so whether it’s two days or two months, the van is in the same state when they sell it. I am not saying EV are perfect don’t get me wrong, but ultimately they and everyone else need something from VWCV. If they get a fix I’ve got no doubt they’ll sort everyone’s vans out.

It’s almost like a few affected owners need to get together with an emerging Cali youtube channel to discuss the issue and make others aware *cough :D*

Also because any prospective owner will think twice about buying one if they see it and that’s something VWCV will care about…

It’s almost like a few affected owners need to get together with an emerging Cali youtube channel to discuss the issue and make others aware *cough :D*

Also because any prospective owner will think twice about buying one if they see it and that’s something VWCV will care about…
What happened with your dialogue with the Exec office? Has it all just gone quiet?

I did get a response but not one to my satisfaction so it's still ongoing :)

Some progress - hopefully positive - I have had a call from Shahid at VWCS this afternoon advising that he has been appointed to coordinate the leaking pop top issues. In essence saying that he Is collating details of those of us with leaking roofs, and will be raising that with the “factory”. So no indication of a fix at this stage, but a clear sign that there is now some traction in the UK. Indicated that his view is that there is no point replacing bellows with a like-for-like replacement until they hear what the factory has to say. Similarly isn’t able to authorise a pop top cover until he has a feel for what the likely response will be from VW around fix/timings. Felt like he was listening though and had a good grasp that this was more than just a few people moaning, so I would say encouraging at this stage that there is the beginnings of a coordinated response. He did say that I would get an introductory email from him, and I then should get regular updates on what’s happening - he suggested weekly was the aim.

So for those of you that have registered your complaint of leaky bellows with VWCS, expect a call.

If you haven’t yet put it on record via the VWCS email address then I would suggest it’s worth doing, even if your dealer is handling it, as that will ensure you are in the statistics and hopefully the email updates going forward. The email address is customercare@vwcv.co.uk

I finally got a reply from Customer care - but not from the co-ordinator (in your message above), so the approach still appears piecemeal.

It was a long response from the Customer Relations Manager. They acknowledge all my points including an intent to reject if no fix. They appreciate my proactive approach in connecting with like-minded folks experiencing similar issues.

Regarding updates from how Volkswagen plans to address these issues, there are no specific details but I should be re-assured they are actively working to assess and address these concerns.

So whether I will get a call from Shahid or not, I have no idea...

Mine is being replaced in a couple of weeks, I'm not expecting much though

Mine is being replaced in a couple of weeks, I'm not expecting much though
Interesting. Last time I checked they were still all out of stock. I wonder if that situation has changed.

Might I ask which dealer and how old the van is?

Interesting. Last time I checked they were still all out of stock. I wonder if that situation has changed.

Might I ask which dealer and how old the van is?

Van was picked up June 23, had it less than 2 months! Jct600 in yorkshire are doing the work but I got it from Breeze. In fairness they only rang me today so I doubt they’ve even tried to order one yet, imagine that’ll be the next phone call

Last edited:

Yes, I’m glad to be free of the worry for sure. If it was just the bellows I might have waited for a solution, but there was a problem with the paint on the roof as well.

Having spent a whole day carefully washing and waxing the van, it was only when I did the roof at the very end I noticed some pimples in the paintwork. When I spoke to the dealer they tried to tell me it was just sap from having sat at the port for a while!!
It’s actually more like grit under the paint. That final issue made me decide to hand it back.

I’m going to wait and see if VW resolve the bellows issues before the order book closes. If they do, I may purchase again, but at the moment I’m keeping the T6. :)

Van was picked up June 23, had it less than 2 months! Jct600 in yorkshire are doing the work but I got it from Breeze. In fairness they only rang me today so I doubt they’ve even tried to order one yet, imagine that’ll be the next phone call
**** Please - message to all affected MY23 owners ****

Send a complaint to:

customercare@vwcv.co.uk

Chase it after 1 week and then every few days.

Well I'd be ok with a few drops of rain in an orange weather warning but a showery night with big puddles in each corner is a real issue.

So, ours was returned for diagnosis weeks ago and a report submitted to VW. I called today because we are away in the dry and one of the pop top pistons has failed. Apparently VW haven't approved the bellows repairs and want the van back for more diagnosis, bellows version and so on.

The van now needs to go back for further diagnosis and repair of the pop top piston.

Our first 2 nighter away we spent the second night mopping up.

Our second trip half way through we have to live without the extra space. Actually relieved the pop top closed.

Looks like when raising the pop top you need a spotter outside to make sure this doesn't happen.

View attachment 114064
Absolutely
Well I'd be ok with a few drops of rain in an orange weather warning but a showery night with big puddles in each corner is a real issue.

So, ours was returned for diagnosis weeks ago and a report submitted to VW. I called today because we are away in the dry and one of the pop top pistons has failed. Apparently VW haven't approved the bellows repairs and want the van back for more diagnosis, bellows version and so on.

The van now needs to go back for further diagnosis and repair of the pop top piston.

Our first 2 nighter away we spent the second night mopping up.

Our second trip half way through we have to live without the extra space. Actually relieved the pop top closed.

Looks like when raising the pop top you need a spotter outside to make sure this doesn't happen.

View attachment 114064
£70k for this. Absolutely atrocious vehicles.

Yes!
- Rejected 30 days later
Some other poor customer is going to fork out their hard earned money , on Vehicle that doesn’t do it’s Job.
This really shows what vw thinks of its customer base .

Some other poor customer is going to fork out their hard earned money , on Vehicle that doesn’t do it’s Job.
This really shows what vw thinks of its customer base .
I think this is a reflection of that dealer and not VW in all fairness.

Back