Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

my 23 Cali came with 3S bellows they leaked then got the 4S pre 9/11 fitted they leaked and now on 3rd set of post 9/11 bellows fitted and after some moderate rain one night they leaked slightly. Now at my wits end and unsure on what to do next… maybe wait a while longer to see if the 5S work but seems they are no better from reading above?. I have since purchased calicap cover to use until such time as we get a proper fix from VW. maybe I should ask for compensation to cover the cost or would this be deemed as accepting the faulty bellows?

View attachment IMG_3114.jpeg

View attachment IMG_3113.jpeg

my 23 Cali came with 3S bellows they leaked then got the 4S pre 9/11 fitted they leaked and now on 3rd set of post 9/11 bellows fitted and after some moderate rain one night they leaked slightly. Now at my wits end and unsure on what to do next… maybe wait a while longer to see if the 5S work but seems they are no better from reading above?. I have since purchased calicap cover to use until such time as we get a proper fix from VW. maybe I should ask for compensation to cover the cost or would this be deemed as accepting the faulty bellows?

View attachment 123507

View attachment 123508
Depends what dealer you are with. Some have been reimbursed for their toppers or wraps I believe. You are probably doing the right thing. Enjoy your Cali and use the topper until there’s a proper fix. I’ve got the 03S bellows but I haven’t seen any water ingress as yet. I will be treating the seams with Aquatex at some point though.

View attachment 123507

View attachment 123508
The VW exec office have told dealers that they will be reimbursed if they buy a pop top cover for their customers with leaking bellows - so without delay contact your dealer and ask them to order your preference - Comfortz or Pucer Screen. It appears that the M1A and 05S bellows versions are not guaranteed fix so I believe the best course of action is:

1) Get your dealer to buy a pop top cover.
2) Get your van booked in at the dealer for a warranty tick box exercise - effectively they will prove that it leaks by leaving out in rain or using a hose pipe with sprinkle head if no rain. Emphasize that you do not want the M1A or 05S or a new 04S set of bellows and that you will only agree to replacement once there is a new set which is actually proven.
3) Once you get your van back treat with aquatex which has repeatedly solved the problem.
4) Relax, enjoy the van and in the meantime pressure VW to come up with a proper solution. I would suggest that we all actively share our experiences on any social media campaign that VW marketing run for any vehicle in the UK.

The VW exec office have told dealers that they will be reimbursed if they buy a pop top cover for their customers with leaking bellows - so without delay contact your dealer and ask them to order your preference - Comfortz or Pucer Screen. It appears that the M1A and 05S bellows versions are not guaranteed fix so I believe the best course of action is:

2) Get your van booked in at the dealer for a warranty tick box exercise - effectively they will prove that it leaks by leaving out in rain or using a hose pipe with sprinkle head if no rain. Emphasize that you do not want the M1A or 05S or a new 04S set of bellows and that you will only agree to replacement once there is a new set which is actually proven.
3) Once you get your van back treat with aquatex which has repeatedly solved the problem.
4) Relax, enjoy the van and in the meantime pressure VW to come up with a proper solution. I would suggest that we all actively share our experiences on any social media campaign that VW marketing run for any vehicle in the UK.

I have done this except for step 3. If I were to do that (VW risk of any damage accepted) can someone briefly explain the approach. Is the aquartz applied to the stitched horizontal and vertical seams on the outside only?

I have done this except for step 3. If I were to do that (VW risk of any damage accepted) can someone briefly explain the approach. Is the aquartz applied to the stitched horizontal and vertical seams on the outside only?
I applied Aquatex spray to all seams and zips both inside and out on a dry day. Leave to dry for at least 2 hours before you close the poptop.

As per @P600BOO .

Inside and out on the seams and zips. No need to spray the whole of the fabric.
After the 1st coat had fully dried, I applied a 2nd coat for good measure.

I also used a piece of old cardboard to mask the roof at the base of the pop top in the areas I was spraying to keep the Aquatex off the paintwork. I don't think it would damage the paintwork, but it saved having to wipe off a lot of overspray. For the small amount that did get on the paintwork, I just wiped it up with absorbent kitchen roll.

As per @P600BOO .

I also used a piece of old cardboard to mask the roof at the base of the pop top in the areas I was spraying to keep the Aquatex off the paintwork. I don't think it would damage the paintwork, but it saved having to wipe off a lot of overspray. For the small amount that did get on the paintwork, I just wiped it up with absorbent kitchen roll.
This was really helpful, thank you.

As per @P600BOO .

Is it just the standard 400ml can of aquatex at about £10 per can?..there are no different versions of it?

And if you’ve bought a topper already, send VW Exec office the receipt. He is reimbursing me.

Is it just the standard 400ml can of aquatex at about £10 per can?..there are no different versions of it?
I used about one and a half of the the 400ml cans to do two coats, inside and out on all seams and stitching, including the front window seams/zips, the front horizontal stitching, the side seams, side window seams/zips and the seams on the back panel.

You can get it in 1 litre and 5 litre bottles but you would then need to use a suitable pump spray.
The aerosol cans just seemed more convenient and at £10 each they don't work out massively more expensive than buying a 1 litre bottle.

And if you’ve bought a topper already, send VW Exec office the receipt. He is reimbursing me.
Mine arrived yesterday, one of those cheques, remember the good old days when poptops didn't leak. Oh sh*t, got to go into the bank now.

You really couldn't make this up. VW/ dealers paying us to make the bellows water tight. What next? Get paid to put the top coat of paint on? I am seriously reconsidering trading in our 18 month van for one of the last Californias.

Hi need some advice. Took the van in to the dealer SMG in Croydon had the van for 3 days said it did not leak they used a pressure washer funny thing was it did rain while they had it but had the roof down. When I left in rain it did, will wait and check again in the rain . Was told its in the manual that water might come in heavy rain. I did explain that you cant put something in the manual that effect the use of any product that the customer was not aware of before they made thier purchase. If it was on there website in the advert to buy only use on dry days then ok.

Hi need some advice. Took the van in to the dealer SMG in Croydon had the van for 3 days said it did not leak they used a pressure washer funny thing was it did rain while they had it but had the roof down. When I left in rain it did, will wait and check again in the rain . Was told its in the manual that water might come in heavy rain. I did explain that you cant put something in the manual that effect the use of any product that the customer was not aware of before they made thier purchase. If it was on there website in the advert to buy only use on dry days then ok.
Did you take any photographs of the leaks you found? And if so, did you share those with SMG?

I would do further testing yourself and take more photographs to support your case.
If you do see more leaks then report this to SMG and insist they get the VW Executive Office involved. The problem is well documented and it's unacceptable for the dealership to hide behind what it says in the manual.

I've had a quick look through the Owners Supplement on the Cali On Tour App and all I can find about rain and the pop top are the following statements :

• Close the pop-up roof if there is a strong wind or strong wind with driving rain.

"During rain showers, water could enter the vehicle via the open windows or front opening and cause damage to the vehicle.

• Close the windows when it is raining. "

Strong Wind and driving rain are open to interpretation, but when my pop top leaked I would say the wind was light and the rain only moderate. Once the outer surface of the bellows had rain falling on it for around ten to fifteen minutes, the leaks started to appear.

If all they did was waft a pressure washer at the bellows from a distance for a minute or two, then they probably wouldn't leak. When you present them with your own photographic evidence, I would ask them how they conducted their test and which part of the manual they are referring to.

I've had a quick look through the Owners Supplement on the Cali On Tour App and all I can find about rain and the pop top are the following statements :

• Close the pop-up roof if there is a strong wind or strong wind with driving rain.

"During rain showers, water could enter the vehicle via the open windows or front opening and cause damage to the vehicle.
  • Close the windows when it is raining. "

Strong Wind and driving rain are open to interpretation, but when my pop top leaked I would say the wind was light and the rain only moderate. Once the outer surface of the bellows had rain falling on it for around ten to fifteen minutes, the leaks started to appear.

The caveats around strong wind are I'm sure to do with structural integrity, not waterproofness. That excerpt I'm pretty certain has been a feature of the Cali owners manual for years, including when the bellows were better performing. Admittedly if the rain is driving, it can blow through the top vents, so again it might be to do with that.

With the odd exception (such as a few posts back), I don't think VW are pretending the issue doesn't exist anymore, there does seem to be an acknowledgement of the issues and some effort going into resolving it, unfortunately it's just taking a long time!

I would have something to say to the Dealership if they used a pressure washer on my roof bellows. Hose spray yes, pressure washer too powerful and could damage fabric. Bodgers.

Ok so I keep reading about this and now wonder if mine is going to leak. Mine is a July 2022 registered Ocean so how do I tell if mine is safe or dubious??

Ok so I keep reading about this and now wonder if mine is going to leak. Mine is a July 2022 registered Ocean so how do I tell if mine is safe or dubious??
You're safe. The dodgy bellows were introduced for the end of Sept 2022 and on, builds. Unless your single skinned bellows were replaced......
You can tell the difference because the colour of the interior layer is lighter than the external fabric layer

July 2022 should be the old O2S bellows, so should be fine. The newer O3S are a lighter colour on the inside and were introduced in autumn 2022.
If you have 02S, look after them!!

You're safe. The dodgy bellows were introduced for the end of Sept 2022 and on, builds. Unless your single skinned bellows were replaced......
You can tell the difference because the colour of the interior layer is lighter than the external fabric layer
Phew - thanks. Mine appear same colour

July 2022 should be the old O2S bellows, so should be fine. The newer O3S are a lighter colour on the inside and were introduced in autumn 2022.
If you have 02S, look after them!!
Trust me they will. I have a mountain tent I've had for 15 years which I look after and still bomb proof. I have a Rab waterproof jacket in eVent fabric - loads of folk say leaked - mine is now 13 years old and washed every time it gets abuse and still waterproof.........................

Trust me they will. I have a mountain tent I've had for 15 years which I look after and still bomb proof. I have a Rab waterproof jacket in eVent fabric - loads of folk say leaked - mine is now 13 years old and washed every time it gets abuse and still waterproof.........................
eVent = Great fabric! I have a 20+ year old jacket that still looks good, but does require re-proofing :)

Back