Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I’m about to get a new Cali Coast so wanted to know if there are many people who have purchased in 2024 or had the replacement bellows 04/05 who haven’t experienced major leaks?
Why can’t VW apply a waterproof protector to bellows mentioned by many in same way as they charge for the seats and body work protector ?

I’m about to get a new Cali Coast so wanted to know if there are many people who have purchased in 2024 or had the replacement bellows 04/05 who haven’t experienced major leaks?
Why can’t VW apply a waterproof protector to bellows mentioned by many in same way as they charge for the seats and body work protector ?
2024 or had the replacement bellows 04/05 who haven’t experienced major leaks? Mixed bag. Some have been lucky and not seen a repeat of the leak. Others have found them as bad if not worse than the bellows they replaced

Why can’t VW apply a waterproof protector to bellows Not authorized by VW Headquarters. Some have applied Aquatex or Fabsil and not seen further leaks. Caveat emptor regarding warranty although it seems Aquatex at least leaves no trace if carefully applied, so the dealer is unlikely to know. Just remember the dealer has to demonstrate the bellows leak themselves. Pics and vids are not going to cut it. So if by some miracle VW do indeed solve this longstanding problem you may not be able to use the warranty for a replacement.

Anyone rain tested the 05S bellows (without any aftermarket treatments)?

Last edited:
Applied Aquatex last week and then tested yesterday, a mixture of light rain and hose pipe. Mixture of blasting it and then spraying it, on and off over 2 hours.
No leak’s experienced.
I have 03S but never really tested in the rain, always used a cover.
I am not saying it’s 100%, but I will definitely risk it in rain now.

Used 2.5 cans of Aquatex. 2 coats on all the outside of the bellows and 2 coats on all internal seams.

Fingers Crossed

PS, It’s possible my bellows never leaked, but better safe than sorry.

I have replacement 04S bellows that haven’t leaked yet. they haven’t experienced a mega storm yet but have so far survived in conditions the 03S predecessors didn’t. Not yet confident enough to say it’s 100% fixed and have purchased a can of Aquatex which I think I will apply anyway.
We also have an external pop top cover (courtesy of VW) but haven’t used that yet - probably would when get proper wet weather conditions just to be sure !

It’s gone fairly quiet on this thread, not much being reported on the latest 05S bellows. Must be a fair few sets in circulation now either from new vans or replacements. What say you do they leak or is the lack of info a good sign?

It’s gone fairly quiet on this thread, not much being reported on the latest 05S bellows. Must be a fair few sets in circulation now either from new vans or replacements. What say you do they leak or is the lack of info a good sign?
I think we are all waiting with baited breath. To change or not to change?

Hopefully new Cali owners with 05S will start to report soon. Last time I spoke with VW Executive office there had be 0 reports of leaks

Last edited:
What exactly is the change on 05S v 04S post 9/11?

I think we are all waiting with bated breath. To change or not to change?

Hopefully new Cali owners with 05S will start to report soon. Last time I spoke with VW Executive office there had be 0 reports of leaks
I’m having a new 05S fitted next week. Bizarrely, nothing to do with a leaker (although my 03S does a bit) bit because there’s a slight tear in the bottom rubber seal. My dealer is hugely pragmatic and just ordered a replacement

Went back to dealer, they confirmed my bellows are leaking. The dealer said they are unable to replace bellows as they have been told that they have to wait for a fix from VW. As one thread said, we should let Adrian Burns know who is dealing with the bellow problem. When I phoned the number last Friday, I was told I had to make a complaint, they would not confirm that they would let Adrian know. I had an email saying they were going to close the case, so I rang again this morning, the operator said that my contact person was not there, but she was going to pass it on to Adrian ! Awaiting with baited breath.
Adrian won’t have anymore reports of leaking bellows if they are making it impossible to get through to him!

Went back to dealer, they confirmed my bellows are leaking. The dealer said they are unable to replace bellows as they have been told that they have to wait for a fix from VW. As one thread said, we should let Adrian Burns know who is dealing with the bellow problem. When I phoned the number last Friday, I was told I had to make a complaint, they would not confirm that they would let Adrian know. I had an email saying they were going to close the case, so I rang again this morning, the operator said that my contact person was not there, but she was going to pass it on to Adrian ! Awaiting with baited breath.
Adrian won’t have anymore reports of leaking bellows if they are making it impossible to get through to him!
Adrian retired last week, Rhiannon is taking over his cases.

Rhiannon Owens has taken over from Adrian. I think the important thing is not to allow your case to close until a successful conclusion has been achieved. I think VW Uk are working hard for their customers however some dealers are more proactive than others to report the issues.

Had an email from Rhiannon today saying that she is going to instruct Reading Van Centre to fit the 05S bellows. They already fitted the 03S which promptly leaked in the first heavy rain. She has offered £500 in the meantime for me to purchase a top cover. Had anyone else had this offer? I’m wondering if this is VW’s way of making the problem go away by paying for us all to get top covers. Personally I don’t particularly want a top cover because it’s just more piece of equipment to carry around when storage space in my Cali is already near its limit when going away for a long trip.

Had an email from Rhiannon today saying that she is going to instruct Reading Van Centre to fit the 05S bellows. They already fitted the 03S which promptly leaked in the first heavy rain. She has offered £500 in the meantime for me to purchase a top cover. Had anyone else had this offer? I’m wondering if this is VW’s way of making the problem go away by paying for us all to get top covers. Personally I don’t particularly want a top cover because it’s just more piece of equipment to carry around when storage space in my Cali is already near its limit when going away for a long trip.
Could you possibly tell me the email address for Rhiannon.Im about to order a poptop cover but want to find out if VW will cover the cost..

I think we are all waiting with baited breath. To change or not to change?

They said this to me about 04S

Looking for other peoples' experiences with the new double lined pop top roof (the one that is grey outside / cream inside), and any potential solutions to the problem of leaking though the seams and fabric.

In the last week we've had complaints from customers on all four of our March 2023 Oceans that the new style pop tops have leaked, mostly though the seams in heavy rain or constant drizzle. Each of them has the new double lined lined pop top roof (grey outside / cream inside). It's not a problem that we had with our "old style" 2022 vehicles (the ones with the single grey pop top fabric) - I think it might be an issue with the new design.

I've read on the forums that putting the pop tops through a few wet / dry cycles will sort the issue as the fibres tighten up - has anyone experienced this with the new style pop top?

If not, has anyone tried something like a Nikwax application to improve waterproofness?
Hi, the latest advice I have about this from the VW Executive Office is they have released a new version 05S and they claim this seems to have solved the problem but they are still being tested in the field by a van centre.

Hope this helps.

In a nutshell

Reject vehicle?
Get it assessed by a van centre then claim for refit of latest bellows by a VW Van centre via VW Executive Office.

Could you possibly tell me the email address for Rhiannon.Im about to order a poptop cover but want to find out if VW will cover the cost..
It’s Rhiannon Jones and she used the generic VWCS email address so I don’t have her specific rmail address

Hi, the latest advice I have about this from the VW Executive Office is they have released a new version 05S and they claim this seems to have solved the problem but they are still being tested in the field by a van centre.

Hope this helps.

In a nutshell

Reject vehicle?
Get it assessed by a van centre then claim for refit of latest bellows by a VW Van centre via VW Executive Office.
But we already have a report of 05S leaking in here do we not?

By way of an update - I sprayed my 3S below upon receipt of my California a month ago. Just weathered my first bad weather night (35mph wind & heavy rain) and not a single drop of water went in. I just sprayed the exterior fabric (seems only) with Fabsil gold.

This is not conclusive yet but we have 2 more nights in the same weather to go. Looking forward to it.

I had my S03 replaced with an S05 - have only been out once when it's rained but no leaks yet

Back