Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I think you might be confusing the black mosquito netting that is stitch into all the window seams but not into the vertical side seams. My side seams look like they have got a clear film on the back of them.
no don't think so. You've treated yours with a supplementary sealant tho haven't you?

Where did you get the information that these seems are not taped. It seems strange that they wouldn't be, when they are so vulnerable?

I’ve got a 05S fitted and the front vertical seams are taped. Not crawled to the back to check those. In fact all seams, including those which support the folding mechanism, are taped.

Is this what you mean:

IMG_5748.jpeg

I’ve got a 05S fitted and the front vertical seams are taped. Not crawled to the back to check those. In fact all seams, including those which support the folding mechanism, are taped.

Is this what you mean:

View attachment 126493
No, the vertical corner seam that water is still dripping through is the one your knuckles are resting on to the right of your fingers, not the seams to do with the zips, they are already taped as you are demonstrating in your photo. The last effected ones are these four thin corner seams.

Last edited:
No, the vertical corner seam that water is still dripping through is the one your knuckles are reading on to the right of your fingers, not the seams to do with the zips, they are already taped as you are demonstrating in your photo. The last effected ones are these four thin corner seams.
The question is, to what nth degree does this go to. Fix those vertical seams and give the bellows enough of a drenching and a new weak point will surface (perhaps drain hole capacity as alluded in recent posts), just one that's perhaps not been evident previously because the attention is on more serious leak points.

The question is, to what nth degree does this go to. Fix those vertical seams and give the bellows enough of a drenching and a new weak point will surface (perhaps drain hole capacity as alluded in recent posts), just one that's perhaps not been evident previously because the attention is on more serious leak points.
I wasn’t suggesting it was taped I was just correcting the seam in the photo.
I wouldn’t be surprised if these last seams have been applied with waterproofed and just at this location on this one seam it hasn’t been applied enough. Once I get authority I’ll be using Aquatex on these four seams, which will take 5 mins and £10 for a can and then job done my O5S don’t leak and I can enjoy the van.

WOW! A 161 page thread is way too daunting for someone coming to this very late. Could someone summarise the situation, perhaps confirming / clarifying my understanding?
The leaking affects models registered only from 2023 onwards?
And only those with double-skin 03s and 04s bellows?
That are cream coloured on the inside?
Aquatex spray seals the leaks?
VW have recognised the issue and the 05s bellows has improved, but not definitively solved the problem?

WOW! A 161 page thread is way too daunting for someone coming to this very late. Could someone summarise the situation, perhaps confirming / clarifying my understanding?
The leaking affects models registered only from 2023 onwards?
And only those with double-skin 03s and 04s bellows?
That are cream coloured on the inside?
Aquatex spray seals the leaks?
VW have recognised the issue and the 05s bellows has improved, but not definitively solved the problem?
TLDR: any bellows post late 2022 with cream inside / dark outside may or may not leak, and no it's not been concluded yet. If it leaks, see your dealer. Some advocate DIY waterproofing, but may cause warranty issues.

Ours are O5S, cream inside/dark outside, June 2024 reg, and the fabric is almost 100% OK. I intend to get the dealer to Aquatex the corners when they fix the fridge lid that won't stay closed.
The problem we have is the fabric is so taut in the front corners it's lifting the rubber seal allowing water ingress in heavy rain.

Ours are O5S, cream inside/dark outside, June 2024 reg, and the fabric is almost 100% OK. I intend to get the dealer to Aquatex the corners when they fix the fridge lid that won't stay closed.
The problem we have is the fabric is so taut in the front corners it's lifting the rubber seal allowing water ingress in heavy rain.
Wasn’t overly taut corners a problem with the O2S bellows?

In very hot weather our roof can sag a tiny bit, I mean a cm perhaps - it's only noticeable because the tension in the fabric reduces. What also becomes immediately noticeable is how much "flappier" it is. This is probably why the tension is set high, so it remains taut (and peaceful) even in breezy weather.

no don't think so. You've treated yours with a supplementary sealant tho haven't you?
Before I treated them I looked at all the seams / Zips. The vertical seams on mine looks though they have a film laminated to the fabric. On the zip seams you can see a black edge buy when you fold the seam back you can see that it is actually the edge of the black mosquito net.

Screenshot_20240717_160030_Gallery.jpg

How did your new Bellows get on with all the rain?
Well it absolutely chucked it down with the most vertical rain ever. The only rain hitting the fabric was the splash back from hitting the van. We had no wind during the downpour and as my van is on the drive betwen two houses it is effectively protected without a reasonable amount of wind blowing. the only real amount was on the small back portion as the deluge ran of the roof, this showed no signs of water penetration and looked beady on the fabric, again what small amounts bounced on to the rest of the fabric looked beady also. So no answer yet to how it is going to perform, will update as soon as we can.

Are all the leaks on the front face of the bellows? Has anyone had any leaks on the side windows or back seams? I’m picking up my new Cali next week and, if the problem is entirely at the front, I’m thinking about making a short external topper that wraps round the front and attaches to the front struts.

Are all the leaks on the front face of the bellows? Has anyone had any leaks on the side windows or back seams? I’m picking up my new Cali next week and, if the problem is entirely at the front, I’m thinking about making a short external topper that wraps round the front and attaches to the front struts.
I tried this approach way back when, but it was difficult to make work (you may have better success than me!). In the end, I just bought a proper wrap (Comfortz, from the club shop).

I tried this approach way back when, but it was difficult to make work (you may have better success than me!). In the end, I just bought a proper wrap (Comfortz, from the club shop).
I’ve got a Comfortz topper which I use when the weather is foul, I was just thinking something smaller and easier to put up might be an option. It needs to be self supporting so I was thinking of using thermal bubble wrap from Screwfix. Of course this can only work if the rest of the roof doesn’t let water in.

I’ve got a Comfortz topper which I use when the weather is foul, I was just thinking something smaller and easier to put up might be an option. It needs to be self supporting so I was thinking of using thermal bubble wrap from Screwfix. Of course this can only work if the rest of the roof doesn’t let water in.
Just buy a £10 spray can of Aquatex and spray all the seams. Job done, no more worries.

If you go that route, DM me and I’ll show you what I made

Had the new 05S bellows fitted today , fingers crossed it’s a fix , the dealer (Birmingham VW Commercial) could not have been more helpful , less than a month from reporting the issue to the bellows being replaced.
Just waiting for some rain now to test them

Had the new 05S bellows fitted today , fingers crossed it’s a fix , the dealer (Birmingham VW Commercial) could not have been more helpful , less than a month from reporting the issue to the bellows being replaced.
Just waiting for some rain now to test them
We’re your old bellows O5S too or previous generations?

After last weeks little drips development on my new O5S Bellows , result this morning and great customer service from Breeze + Poole. I’m off on hols for a week in the van and got written authorisation to use Aquatex today without affecting VW warranty and following on from my photo / video evidence the invite to exchange for O6S if the bellows are revised again …result …meanwhile dry top bunk and enjoy the van without the Dealer too & fro hassle with hosepipe test etc…with the promise of an upgrade if one becomes available …what’s not to like about that?
Anyway..3 cans of Aquatex inside and out & 30 mins later…not a mark or residue on fabric…as if invisible…Job done .. Simples!
Photos…post application.

IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_0818.jpeg

Hi , Did you use 3 can doing the whole canvass or just doing the seams ?
I bought a can today but wondering if I need to go back tomorrow and get a couple more ?

Depends what you want to do? I concentrated on seams but also covered the complete inside and out in view that I thought this is the cleanest the bellows will ever be and instructions stress cleanliness. I thought this first initial, perhaps only application should be thorough with the need for top ups with just perhaps one can annually / bi annually or just if any ingress developed again ..maybe never?
Spray evenly but don’t worry if you get the odd build up and run…it totally dries streak free and just takes mins to apply.

Depends what you want to do? I concentrated on seams but also covered the complete inside and out in view that I thought this is the cleanest the bellows will ever be and instructions stress cleanliness. I thought this first initial, perhaps only application should be thorough with the need for top ups with just perhaps one can annually / bi annually or just if any ingress developed again ..maybe never?
Spray evenly but don’t worry if you get the odd build up and run…it totally dries streak free and just takes mins to apply.
Thank you I was thinking similar that this is the cleanest the bellows will ever be

Back