Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

First night in the van whilst it was chucking it down very heavily. Not a drop made it into the living area through the bellows. Whilst I have no idea if my bellows would have been waterproof. They certainly are after spraying Aquatex on all the seems.

I arrived at the dealer 300 miles away only to find they had the wrong canvas, right box wrong canvas. Apparently there is a difference between a powered and a manual roof canvas although I can't see it. They got a correct one the following morning and had the job done by lunch time. They gave me a copy of the VW bulletin about the problem and the different versions/part numbers. It seems that the replacement for a 2023 model Beach is the latest iteration of 04S for a manual roof. The good news so far is that I can't see daylight around the stitching so hopefully the problem is resolved. In any case I will wet it this weekend and then give it at annual dose of Aquatex.IMG_8340.jpeg

I thought everyone should be getting 05S now.

I thought everyone should be getting 05S now.
Like I said this is apparently correct for a 2023 Beach with a manual roof.

The bulletin I have explains some mislabeling around the version numbers. It confirms correct part numbers which is what they have fitted.

Perhaps it is only Ocean that gets an 05S. As I say it appears that hey are different sizes and I was told that someone accidentally tried to fit the one for a Beach to an Ocean and it split.

Wondering if new Ocean’s are coming with 05s now? Or, is the 05s version being reserved for those people with leaks?

Iuse
Like I said this is apparently correct for a 2023 Beach with a manual roof.

The bulletin I have explains some mislabeling around the version numbers. It confirms correct part numbers which is what they have fitted.

Perhaps it is only Ocean that gets an 05S. As I say it appears that hey are different sizes and I was told that someone accidentally tried to fit the one for a Beach to an Ocean and it split.
Useful to everyone if you post a copy of the bulletin you have.

Wondering if new Ocean’s are coming with 05s now? Or, is the 05s version being reserved for those people with leaks?
Mine hasn't turns out it is old stock built end of March.

Agreed!
I'd also appreciate seeing the written confirmation.

I'm getting the same kind of unhelpful messaging from Rhiannon, ie: VW won't accept my videos and photos as proof of leaking and a full leak test by the dealership is necessary for a warranty claim, even though the dealership fully accept and support my claim and agree the leak test is absolutely unnecessary.

I've tried to point out, that to request a new bellows, if you already have one which doesn't leak, is not logical and indeed idiotic given that non-leaking bellows are as rare as hens teeth!

We've raised an official complaint on this, and are currently awaiting to hear from Rhiannon, VW's response!!

So, I'm clearly very interested to know how @OxonCalifornia has managed to circumvent all of this frustrating red tape?
Morning like you, I’ve raised official complaints and tried to escalate but to no avail.
However, I have managed to get the Motor Ombudsman to consider my complaint. They have all the evidence and I’m now awaiting the adjudication which should be in about 4-6 weeks

Morning like you, I’ve raised official complaints and tried to escalate but to no avail.
However, I have managed to get the Motor Ombudsman to consider my complaint. They have all the evidence and I’m now awaiting the adjudication which should be in about 4-6 weeks
The short video I made of my was good enough for the dealer. Otherwise I was going to have a 600 mile round trip just to do the test which they agreed was not on. They immediately processed the claim on the basis of it. It probably helped that my video showed my method that was a shower and not pressure hose.

I have Not circumvented any Red tape.
My new van O5S Bellows leaked, I wanted authority to apply Aquatex as I was going on holiday the next day and the dealer provided authority - even if in hindsight VW would rather they hadn’t. End of.
I raised the issue with VW through Rhiannon who didn’t get back to me until I had left for holiday and applied the Aquatex. She was very understanding and said she would have applied it given the same circumstance to keep her family dry too - what was I to do on out first adventure with our new expensive Cali.. but VW will not agree formally to its use ONLY because it’s not a VW product and they cannot guarantee what’s in the can. They are just not going down that road and TBH I don’t think there will be a O6S version either. We must just live with it.
My case is closed now as the Aquatex is on there and if ( highlight unlikely) that I have an issue with the material deteriorating ( because its recommended by a leading awning supplier, Isobella) Rhiannon has agreed that the dealer would have to honour their agreement which VW would support. Also Rhiannon kindly Reimbursed me the £200 for a Comfortz Topper that I bought from campervan bitz, as some sort of Compensation. No matter how hard you argue VW will stick to their procedure and Rhiannon knows nothing from Germany , she is just the trouble shooter assigned only to bellows at the moment and doing a mighty fine job I have to say.
TBH if you haven’t formally said you have used Aquatex they will never know because the whole point is it’s invisible and Vw are not going to pay for forensic tests. In fact it wouldn’t surprise me that Vw final fix is O5S plus waterproofer applied at the bellows manufacturer or on the production line in Hanover…but we will never know that now as T6.1 Calis has stopped. It wouldn’t surprise me that dealers would apply it before handover just to eliminate all the grief of returns?
Just get the O5S bellows through warranty then if the four corner seams dribble a bit just spent £10 and Aquatex them taking 5 mins and all your worries will melt away. VW will not pay for your Aquatex as they cannot support it ..but just do it..Your campervanning future will be so much better and your anxiety levels just melt away…the Van is superb, so enjoy it!
I don’t really see what you are complaining about? it is what it is and they have sorted the best fix they can. End of otherwise you will just go on an endless spiral of changing O5S bellows for O5S bellows which may never be water tight?
I’ve been in the rain since with the van and we had a dry night upstairs, so all good - Move on , Life really is too short!

Last edited:
Really frustrating to get this response from Listers Droitwich today:

Thank you for taking the time to send me the videos.

I have discussed this with my warranty manager and master technician. As the owners manual states "Not to be used in heavy wind or rain" and there is no supporting evidence of the weather conditions at the time of the video, I would recommend another video being sent while leaking, and showing the full conditions on the outside of the vehicle. This is so we can justify a claim to Volkswagen.

Once we have this we can get it booked in and go from there.

Can someone pass me the contact at VW who are dealing with this please?

We had our bellows replaced yesterday with the 05s version at Breeze in Poole. They also say they have tested it and say it doesn’t leak. Our new van was picked up in January this year. We are away for the whole of September but not camping every night only some. Hopefully it has been solved but we will test ourselves. We do use a comfortz wrap anyway so when out camping we probably wouldn’t know but want to make sure it has been sorted in case we sell on one day. Breeze have been fantastic.

Really frustrating to get this response from Listers Droitwich today:

Thank you for taking the time to send me the videos.

I have discussed this with my warranty manager and master technician. As the owners manual states "Not to be used in heavy wind or rain" and there is no supporting evidence of the weather conditions at the time of the video, I would recommend another video being sent while leaking, and showing the full conditions on the outside of the vehicle. This is so we can justify a claim to Volkswagen.

Once we have this we can get it booked in and go from there.

Can someone pass me the contact at VW who are dealing with this please?
Hi, I’ve just had mine returned (one hour ago) from listers Droitwich where they’ve replaced the bellows. They tried that trick with me too. Speak to Mathew Hill at listers, and Rhiannon at the VW executive office. They don’t have the same view as the person who told me that manual rubbish, (Leon), neither did the service manager (Richard).
VW executive office said “if it leaks under test it’s faulty and will be replaced, why are lister’s being difficult” they got a call and mine got replaced along with the headlining that was stained where the van leaked.

Rhiannon Owens
Customer Relations Manager.

VWCV Signature Logo_Resized

CommercialVehicleLogo
T: 0800 7834 909
E: customercare@vwcv.co.uk

Volkswagen UK
Volkswagen Group United Kingdom
Yeomans Drive
Blakelands
Milton Keynes
MK14 5AN
www.volkswagen.co.uk

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve just had mine returned (one hour ago) from listers Droitwich where they’ve replaced the bellows. They tried that trick with me too. Speak to Mathew Hill at listers, and Rhiannon at the VW executive office. They don’t have the same view as the person who told me that manual rubbish, (Leon), neither did the service manager (Richard).
VW executive office said “if it leaks under test it’s faulty and will be replaced, why are lister’s being difficult” they got a call and mine got replaced along with the headlining that was stained where the van leaked.
Thanks for that.
I've forwarded the email to Rhiannon at VW with a complaint at how Listers have dealt with it.
I've already had my original bellows replaced back in January, but they were replaced with 04S which have leaked

Slept overnight in Cali down in Poole… has been non stop torrential rain since 0100.. still raining now but with O5S plus aquatex …a bone dry night .. not a drip came through , all those seams held…. I should have slept downstairs though due to the noise of the rain on the canvas and roof but very pleased with outcome this morning. Good decision..Ironically taking van back to Breeze this morning NOT for leaky bellows but for a self rising blind that has a mind of its own!

I have Not circumvented any Red tape.
My new van O5S Bellows leaked, I wanted authority to apply Aquatex as I was going on holiday the next day and the dealer provided authority - even if in hindsight VW would rather they hadn’t. End of.
I raised the issue with VW through Rhiannon who didn’t get back to me until I had left for holiday and applied the Aquatex. She was very understanding and said she would have applied it given the same circumstance to keep her family dry too - what was I to do on out first adventure with our new expensive Cali.. but VW will not agree formally to its use ONLY because it’s not a VW product and they cannot guarantee what’s in the can. They are just not going down that road and TBH I don’t think there will be a O6S version either. We must just live with it.
My case is closed now as the Aquatex is on there and if ( highlight unlikely) that I have an issue with the material deteriorating ( because its recommended by a leading awning supplier, Isobella) Rhiannon has agreed that the dealer would have to honour their agreement which VW would support. Also Rhiannon kindly Reimbursed me the £200 for a Comfortz Topper that I bought from campervan bitz, as some sort of Compensation. No matter how hard you argue VW will stick to their procedure and Rhiannon knows nothing from Germany , she is just the trouble shooter assigned only to bellows at the moment and doing a mighty fine job I have to say.
TBH if you haven’t formally said you have used Aquatex they will never know because the whole point is it’s invisible and Vw are not going to pay for forensic tests. In fact it wouldn’t surprise me that Vw final fix is O5S plus waterproofer applied at the bellows manufacturer or on the production line in Hanover…but we will never know that now as T6.1 Calis has stopped. It wouldn’t surprise me that dealers would apply it before handover just to eliminate all the grief of returns?
Just get the O5S bellows through warranty then if the four corner seams dribble a bit just spent £10 and Aquatex them taking 5 mins and all your worries will melt away. VW will not pay for your Aquatex as they cannot support it ..but just do it..Your campervanning future will be so much better and your anxiety levels just melt away…the Van is superb, so enjoy it!
I don’t really see what you are complaining about? it is what it is and they have sorted the best fix they can. End of otherwise you will just go on an endless spiral of changing O5S bellows for O5S bellows which may never be water tight?
I’ve been in the rain since with the van and we had a dry night upstairs, so all good - Move on , Life really is too short!
So, you didn't get a letter then?

Slept overnight in Cali down in Poole… has been non stop torrential rain since 0100.. still raining now but with O5S plus aquatex …a bone dry night .. not a drip came through , all those seams held…. I should have slept downstairs though due to the noise of the rain on the canvas and roof but very pleased with outcome this morning. Good decision..Ironically taking van back to Breeze this morning NOT for leaky bellows but for a self rising blind that has a mind of its own!
Great news. We were out in our 04S 2 nights ago with consistent rain and bellows seeped from the vertical seams. The rest ok though. 05S bellows being fitted soon so really pleased to hear good feedback.

So, you didn't get a letter then?
Yes I got an email from dealer to go ahead with aquatex as I was going on holiday .. Executive office (Rhiannon) state they shouldn’t have agreed formally but as they have any warranty issue , although there won’t be one because I now don’t have a leaky roof, would be paid by dealer and VW would ensure so. Please get your facts right before misquoting me . EO was very helpful. Thanks

Yes I got an email from dealer to go ahead with aquatex as I was going on holiday .. Executive office (Rhiannon) state they shouldn’t have agreed formally but as they have any warranty issue , although there won’t be one because I now don’t have a leaky roof, would be paid by dealer and VW would ensure so. Please get your facts right before misquoting me . EO was very helpful. Thanks
Misquoting?... No, that's not me.

However, I'm happy your happy buddy. Now you're leak free, I guess you're all done here.

Hi all,
I have been looking at an October 2023 registered vehicle at a dealership with only 3000 miles on the clock. It made me wonder why someone would sell up so soon after purchasing assuming it is not a demo van?
I then stumbled across this post and got to wondering if it has experienced the roof leaking issues that are raised throughout the 165 pages of peoples comments, PHEW!
I have read through quite a few pages but with the best will in the world can't get through them all so it has brought me to ask if all 2023 vans are likely to be affected or will this late 23 model be ok?

Hi all,
I have been looking at an October 2023 registered vehicle at a dealership with only 3000 miles on the clock. It made me wonder why someone would sell up so soon after purchasing assuming it is not a demo van?
I then stumbled across this post and got to wondering if it has experienced the roof leaking issues that are raised throughout the 165 pages of peoples comments, PHEW!
I have read through quite a few pages but with the best will in the world can't get through them all so it has brought me to ask if all 2023 vans are likely to be affected or will this late 23 model be ok?
All vans with manufacture date after end of Sept 2022 w/ 03S double layer bellows unless replaced with 05S bellows. Some say their 03S bellows have never leaked so there are exceptions out there. I would say it's safer to assume they leak than they don't .

Hi all,
Assuming there is not evidence of past leaks (water stains etc.) and you are reassured by the dealer there is no lack of leak induced repairs, then if you buy you would do well to read the latter part of all leaking roof postings (there are several, advance search is best but you need VIP membership which gives other advantages as well for ownership): then you have two options, one or both, (a) hose or ‘field trial’ test and report any leaks for replacement under warranty, (b) Aquatex.

It is possible that you can get a good price from the dealer by showing you know the score.

I, and apparently many others on the forum, cherish ownership of a California.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Without the tag, you can't find out what generation is fitted. I don't think the part number was changed in the early days. Does anybody know if the 05S bellows got a new part number.

Back