Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

The 05S will have additional black waterproofing membrane along the horizontal and zipper seams
Think mine may have to go in for this. Despite early positivity, over the summer it’s spread by a bigger leak than the Titanic.

Over on Calibord.de, 06S bellows have been installed....

These appear to have a transparent seam tape over the two vertical seams, which, if I've followed the latest posts here were the last one's to remain untreated.

I ripped a photo from their site...

View attachment 128578
Is this actually labelled 06S or is it an “enhanced” 05S?

From what I can gather it's a new product variant ie 06S
Mine has gone in today for new bellows. I asked about the 06S. He said they’ve only fitting 05S but some 05S may have some enhancements, or something along those lines. It may just be dealership speak of course.

Mine has gone in today for new bellows. I asked about the 06S. He said they’ve only fitting 05S but some 05S may have some enhancements, or something along those lines. It may just be dealership speak of course.
I have been in touch with VWEO as mine is waiting to go in to get 05S fitted. VWEO are unaware of 06S and have asked for an update from factory technical on this. Guess need to wait and see what the situation is, Rhiannon is going to call me when she has this information.

It all depends if the 06S is seen as an "evolution" or a "replacement" of the 05S. If it's the former, then old stock will have to be "used up" first (how much of that there is in the UK/Germany is anyone's guess), but if it's the latter it's a case of waiting for a) stock to reach UK shores and b) for VWUK and dealers to be adequately communicated with. This all seems reminiscent of previous new iterations of the bellows where the first we hear is from calibord, then slowly they trickle (sorry) into the UK.

The addition of seam sealing tape is the first really significant improvement I’ve seen since this issue was raised and a tacit admission from VW that the bellows design/construction with the new material was flawed.

I've just had my second 05S fitted.

The first was dated early April, this one is the 11th June, if that's at all relevent.

I tested it in the rain this morning, (misty drizzle with little to no wind), and it started to leak at the bottom of the 2 front vertical seams, then the rain stopped and everything dried up.

Interestingly it was also starting to soak in at various places at the bottom all along the front, where the bellows attaches to the van roof. Just as it did on our previous 05S.

I'm not sure how the apparent 06S changes will help with this?!

In addition, we've just discovered that we also have a leak in the tailgate. It's coming through between the rubber seal and the door. Nothing like a refreshing drip on the head at 3am!

In addition, we've just discovered that we also have a leak in the tailgate. It's coming through between the rubber seal and the door. Nothing like a refreshing drip on the head at 3am!
Mine has been doing this since new. Its going in for a long list of niggles on the 17th. I will inquire re the 06S bellows as I'm in Germany. The slow boat to the UK hasn't left port.

Good to hear, so what's the adjustment?
Yank on it to pull it away from the lip to which its attached. Its on pretty tight so needs firm adjustments. The idea is that the seal presses harder against the tailgate. Personally I think the water is is gaining access behind the seal.

Yank on it to pull it away from the lip to which its attached. Its on pretty tight so needs firm adjustments. The idea is that the seal presses harder against the tailgate. Personally I think the water is is gaining access behind the seal.
Yeah, I also tried that too :thumb Didn't work! :sorry

Perhaps someone should develop a Tailgate topper!!! ...and then VWEO could furnish us all with one of those as well :D

Perhaps someone should develop a Tailgate topper!!! ...and then VWEO could furnish us all with one of those as well :D
Yeah its called pipe insulation tubing cut to fit, so that water never reaches the VW 'seal':rolleyes:

Rejuvenate rubber seal with silicon oil spray, regularly.

I spray it on the wife's convertible a couple of times a year to stop little leaks and whistling noises.

You can sometimes get it in the middle of Lidl, far cheaper than replacing the entire seal.

You can also use it to ease cables through rubber grommets.

Back