Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Picked up my new Cali Monday, this is my tag in the pop top, not sure if it is anything new, but thought I would share.

IMG_0440.jpeg

Well, these part numbers seemed better controlled than I thought, as in our bellows the part number and serial number is on a product label, as well as the serial number on the little white QC tag.

So ours didn't have the C (no surprise there) and the dealer confirmed it's been superseded with the C version which is arriving mid-October. They have been in close contact with VW technical.

I doubt there's going to be a different one shipped out to the 'C' variant so it's fingers crossed.

I'm not sure what happens if / when the C variant leaks but you never know, maybe some of us get lucky...

Picked up my new Cali Monday, this is my tag in the pop top, not sure if it is anything new, but thought I would share.

View attachment 114964
You can't tell from that. Given the QC date of 24.07.23 it's likely to be the 'C' version. If you look at a previous post of mine there are two pictures which show where the product label is. If you can see that label it that will confirm to you precisely which version it is.

Also there's a dealer computer system which lists the parts installed so that would also give a good indication if your dealer were to look it up for you...

Is yours watertight so far?

You can't tell from that. Given the QC date of 24.07.23 it's likely to be the 'C' version. If you look at a previous post of mine there are two pictures which show where the product label is. If you can see that label it that will confirm to you precisely which version it is.

Also there's a dealer computer system which lists the parts installed so that would also give a good indication if your dealer were to look it up for you...

Is yours watertight so far?
I will check next time I’m up there, no idea re leaking, fist night away at weekend but TBH, if it rains there will be a wrap going on, I will not have anything spoiling the first few times away!

Just received an email from vwcv, View attachment 114963
So did this come from Shahid? Would you be able to share the whole email please (redacting any person info obviously!). I’ve heard nothing from him yet. I’m also due to get a replacement bellows fitted sometime in the next week or so (stock expected early next week which has been on back order) so I’m watching closely.

One thing I’ve noticed with the new bellows is that the fabric absorbs water. I’ve never noticed that with the old bellows, the water just seems to run off whereas the new one goes several shades darker when wet.

One thing I’ve noticed with the new bellows is that the fabric absorbs water. I’ve never noticed that with the old bellows, the water just seems to run off whereas the new one goes several shades darker when wet.
And this is one contributing factor to this sorry debacle. A culmination of several design errors and oversights. Getting the fabric saturated is the first step for an effective leak test. After that the wicking starts through the enlarged stitch holes along the seams and zippers.
Its not rocket science and whoever VW contracted to make these bellows should know better.

Easiest solution to stay dry is to fit an internal Isotop to create a cavity. Any water that penetrates the roof seams will be prevented from entering sleeping area so your bedding will remain dry and will avoid a damp van.

Easiest solution to stay dry is to fit an internal Isotop to create a cavity. Any water that penetrates the roof seams will be prevented from entering sleeping area so your bedding will remain dry and will avoid a damp van.
Have you seen how much water can penetrate the new bellows? An internal isotop might delay things a few mins but that's it. The water will just pool and enter underneath. The internal ones are not designed to be water tight.
Best temporary fix is a waterproof external topper.

Have you seen how much water can penetrate the new bellows? An internal isotop might delay things a few mins but that's it. The water will just pool and enter underneath. The internal ones are not designed to be water tight.
Best temporary fix is a waterproof external topper.
Agree 100%. See the attached photo of my flood!!

IMG_0819.jpg

So did this come from Shahid? Would you be able to share the whole email please (redacting any person info obviously!). I’ve heard nothing from him yet. I’m also due to get a replacement bellows fitted sometime in the next week or so (stock expected early next week which has been on back order) so I’m watching closely.
I had a phone call yesterday from a lady called Madihah Rafaqat at VWs executive office. She is now dealing with all the leaking bellows as Shahid is off work at the moment. She is collating the details of all who are having this issue and liaising with VW in Germany.
My van goes in on Monday for new bellows, and she has promised contact me next week to see how I get on. If anyone has leaking bellows and hasn’t notified VW executive office, I would urge you to contact Madihah at the email address she has given me: executive.office@vwcv.co.uk

I had a phone call yesterday from a lady called Madihah Rafaqat at VWs executive office. She is now dealing with all the leaking bellows as Shahid is off work at the moment. She is collating the details of all who are having this issue and liaising with VW in Germany.
My van goes in on Monday for new bellows, and she has promised contact me next week to see how I get on. If anyone has leaking bellows and hasn’t notified VW executive office, I would urge you to contact Madihah at the email address she has given me: executive.office@vwcv.co.uk
Thanks. I will email the details of my rejected California so it’s on the list.

And this is one contributing factor to this sorry debacle. A culmination of several design errors and oversights. Getting the fabric saturated is the first step for an effective leak test. After that the wicking starts through the enlarged stitch holes along the seams and zippers.
Its not rocket science and whoever VW contracted to make these bellows should know better.
If you want to see the test rig setup I used and replicated by @Jimmylondon07, here is the video. This test is more structured than the VW dealerships will likely do.

I've had 2 phone calls this week from VWCV. The call today, they said they want the van back in to test again. Hopefully they will authorise a Cali Wrap so can get back to enjoying the Cali this autumn.

Have had a call from VWCV today to advise that there is a new set of replacement bellows available. My van is already booked in for 10th Oct for a water test at the local dealer, but they now won’t be authorised to provide the temporary bellows cover because the hope is that they may have the new version of the bellows in stock by then or if not then shortly after.

If only they had said a couple of weeks ago that they were hopeful of delivering a replacement part in this time frame ! Its still yet to be seen and tested by us owners in the wild but lets hope they have thoroughly tested it before roll out this time around ……….

Make sure you get the dealer to photograph the product details part number etc.

Have had a call from VWCV today to advise that there is a new set of replacement bellows available. My van is already booked in for 10th Oct for a water test at the local dealer, but they now won’t be authorised to provide the temporary bellows cover because the hope is that they may have the new version of the bellows in stock by then or if not then shortly after.

If only they had said a couple of weeks ago that they were hopeful of delivering a replacement part in this time frame ! Its still yet to be seen and tested by us owners in the wild but lets hope they have thoroughly tested it before roll out this time around ……….
@Tomdbreeze do you know anything about this please?

just emailed my photos and name to add to the list, thanks

So I've had a similar call and I questioned on the "C" type / part number side of it and I was told the replacement is carrying the same part number, but is a genuinely revised part. So it would seem hunting for part numbers and tags might be a pointless exercise.

Mine is due to be fitted sometime next week hopefully - I'll report back.

Back