Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Have you got the genuine vw stick on ones or aftermarket? Couldn't see any on the club shop but found some on ebay.
I’ve just bought some Heko ones from Cheshire Motor Caravans through eBay. Hopefully sort the condensation issues out.

As soon as I get them, I’ll want the b-pillar black vinyl to complete the look!

I have a pucer pop top screen, works very well, easy to put on and off, leaves the vents free at the top, can be wiped down easily if wet. Cheaper than most of the alternatives. I think campervan journey have a YT video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, what size Pucer top did you order?
I’m struggling to work out if I need Front 107 - rear 31 or F 103 - R 27.
Thanks Marc

How do you open those vents? just thinking the zips must be on the outside so you would have to wind in the awning & ladder up the side of the van to reach them, is that right?
Vents are secured with velcro at the top, front and back which tuck under a flap when shut. If you have your colour on the outside, yes you would need to open from the outside. Mesh on the inside is fixed shut.

If you had the wrap silver side on for the summer. You could access through the bellows window.

16975322325145553609369399287313.jpg

If you had the wrap silver side on for the summer. You could access through the bellows window.
Not sure about that! The side windows are sealed mesh and you won't be able to reach from the panoramic front. I think the wrap is intended to have the windows opened from the outside only.

A Wrap fits next to the canvas so will obstruct the vents. A topper fits over the roof and because the roof overhangs the canvas the Topper sides are held away from the canvas and so you still get adequate ventilation. Also you can open the canvas windows as they are protected by the external topper.
I did look at toppers but was worried about pulling it over a dirty roof and scratching the paint. Some report them being noisey in the wind as well as there is a gap between the bellows.

For those who don't know, you can also get toppers with a hole in the top for roof boxes and solar panels.

Not sure about that! The side windows are sealed mesh and you won't be able to reach from the panoramic front. I think the wrap is intended to have the windows opened from the outside only.
My bad, never opened the side windows on the bellows, assumed they had a zip for the fly mesh like the front. I don't know if you ever use the wrap silver side out in the summer to keep the heat out anyway.

I did look at toppers but was worried about pulling it over a dirty roof and scratching the paint. Some report them being noisey in the wind as well as there is a gap between the bellows.

For those who don't know, you can also get toppers with a hole in the top for roof boxes and solar panels.
Never had a problem with mine, but only used during depth of winter . Not noticed any increase in noise and easy to put on. But each to his own. Useful if you can't put the roof up at home to thoroughly dry canvas .

Couldn’t resist leaving a comment saying my dealer told me it’s showerproof only, and that dealer is Liverpool who washed their hands of it. Fortunately Marshall’s at Reading have been as helpful as I could expect them to be until such time as they get a proper fix from VW
On that (frustrating and a bit insulting to us owners) showerproof comment said by dealers... has anyone ever seen that written down by VW? It definitely wasn't communicated to us prior to purchase and I can't see it in the brochure either.

On that (frustrating and a bit insulting to us owners) showerproof comment said by dealers... has anyone ever seen that written down by VW? It definitely wasn't communicated to us prior to purchase and I can't see it in the brochure either.
The operating manual says “Close the pop-up roof if there is a strong wind or strong wind with driving rain” which implicates that normal and even heavy rain should be survivable. Under the zip up windows section it further adds “close the windows when it’s raining” i.e. again implies the roof being up during rain is fine (as you would reasonably expect it to be when buying a camping vehicle).

Once you develop your own technique fitting and removing isn’t a problem. I only bothered fitting mine if the weather was going to be wet to save having a wet bellows and the prospect of water wicking through onto the roof liner and mattress. The only thing I would have liked was for it to be a lighter gauge material, something liked tent nylon.

You need bigger balls mate
Well right now they're hiding behind a right to repair Jon. Have complained to the Managing Director of the JCB Group, the Franchise Manager at Crawley, The VW Executive Office, the Motor Ombudsman, Watchdog and on social channels and yet the vehicle is still sat on my driveway. Would love to hear what you'd recommend doing? Genuinely, as I am at my wits' end with it.

Last edited:
Hi, what size Pucer top did you order?
I’m struggling to work out if I need Front 107 - rear 31 or F 103 - R 27.
Thanks Marc

I just contacted Darren told him it was a t6.1 manual roof and he supplied one which was a perfect fit! I believe the electric roof has very slightly different dimensions which he is aware of, and he supplies both.

I just contacted Darren told him it was a t6.1 manual roof and he supplied one which was a perfect fit! I believe the electric roof has very slightly different dimensions which he is aware of, and he supplies both.

I was put off by confusing information on both Pucer and Rainbow wanting measurements. So opted for the Comfortz, they had an option for colour/Ocean/3 windows bellows. Probably won't fit now. Better check before my next outing.

Should have phone them

I have a 2021 Ocean and i have been in some serious winds/rain and the pop top has not leaked, i think then it is the newer model issues and it should not be just shower proof. VW have gone down the drain a little in my opinion if they think it is ok to fob people of with that bs.

We have a roofless topper which can be be fitted with roof bars which we did in winter for a ski box. Easy to put on, only used when we expect very heavy rain for a long time or snow, not difficult to fit once you know how.

Makes the van upstairs much warmer.

Used once in 2 months in our recent Europe trip, during very heavy rain for two days.

The operating manual says “Close the pop-up roof if there is a strong wind or strong wind with driving rain” which implicates that normal and even heavy rain should be survivable. Under the zip up windows section it further adds “close the windows when it’s raining” i.e. again implies the roof being up during rain is fine (as you would reasonably expect it to be when buying a camping vehicle).
We've have 2014 California from new, it's never leaked in all the years we've had it. After monsoon rain for a long period it's felt a bit damp so we got a topper for that and for winter use, we take the topper most trips but rarely use it.

We've have 2014 California from new, it's never leaked in all the years we've had it. After monsoon rain for a long period it's felt a bit damp so we got a topper for that and for winter use, we take the topper most trips but rarely use it.
I can guarantee if you had a 2023 model you would be getting much better value for money out of your topper!

Do you have any details on the toppers which don't completely cover the roof. I have a nice looking topper, non-insulated, which fits over the pop top. Am also a bit concerned about this if there is any grit in situ, but don't necessarily want the bulk of an insulated wrap...

Do you have any details on the toppers which don't completely cover the roof. I have a nice looking topper, non-insulated, which fits over the pop top. Am also a bit concerned about this if there is any grit in situ, but don't necessarily want the bulk of an insulated wrap...

I think that there’s a risk of grit damage even with the “roofless toppers” as the canvas is going to be rubbing around the edges of the roof in the same way as a fully covering topper.

I think that there’s a risk of grit damage even with the “roofless toppers” as the canvas is going to be rubbing around the edges of the roof in the same way as a fully covering topper.
I've never experienced "grit damage" in 9 years, the topper is fitted clean onto a clean roof so where does the grit come from? Road grit normally accumulates round the bottom of the van.

Road grit normally accumulates round the bottom of the van.
Not true. Water and grit gets thrown up onto the vehicle when roads are wet and you're following other vehicles especially lorries, buses etc. Without a step ladder the roof is hard to clean and it will inevitably have grit.
The only secondary cover I would consider is a Pucer-type variant that only covers the bellows.

Back