Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I don't subscribe to dodgy thread or hot needles and oversized stitch holes.

The latest bellows have special seam sealers integrated into the seams which I expect pretty much guarantees a watertight result.

They haven't just fixed a QC problem but rather addressed a design issue.
Has it been confirmed that the 04 bellows has an integrated seal? I recall it being mentioned several pages back but i don’t think it’s stated in the VW note and can’t remember if it’s been verified.

I placed my order for a California Ocean last week and I should be receiving it March / April I think.

Fingers crossed for the updated bellows.

Has it been confirmed that the 04 bellows has an integrated seal? I recall it being mentioned several pages back but i don’t think it’s stated in the VW note and can’t remember if it’s been verified.
In one of his recent weekly calls to me, Adrian at VWCS said that they had been told that the post 9th November variant incorporates an extra layer in the seam below the window (he said window, and wasn’t sure when I tried to clarify that presumably he meant windows x3) - he also said in addition to this that the new variant was advised to them as incorporating a new “treatment” but had no clarification as to what that actually meant. I will ask him again - he is as regular as clockwork at phoning me and my dealer weekly at the moment even if has no update other than the new bellows are coming through, albeit still slowly as they are focussed on production line first with the surplus then sent out to dealers (UK and Europe mentioned). In this weeks call he did say that he still hadn’t received any reports of a leak in the new version, but recognised that it’s still very early days so is still only quietly confident at this stage rather than saying its definitely resolved

Anyone getting replacement bellows would be advised to keep on top of what is being installed. Already one person here got an 03S when they were told it was an 04S.
On Calibord someone is on their 4th bellows, installed 18/12/23. The 3rd dated to October and the 4th....wait for it.....May 2023. o_O:headbang

Anyone getting replacement bellows would be advised to keep on top of what is being installed. Already one person here got an 03S when they were told it was an 04S.
On Calibord someone is on their 4th bellows, installed 18/12/23. The 3rd dated to October and the 4th....wait for it.....May 2023. o_O:headbang
Frustrating to say the least. But yes it’s all about detail!

Had a call from Adrian yesterday saying bellows are in stock. Call from dealer today to book in for replacement, they said bellows have been ordered. So booked in for the end of the month.
Same as above (call from Adrian and dealer), now booked in on 31st Jan for replacement.

Picked up our new Ocean yesterday (build week 20/11/23) and it has the 04S bellows fitted. Comparing it to the 03S bellows fitted in our previous June 2023 Ocean:

no sign of any visible “seal” it all looks identical to me
when the roof is up there is definitely less tension in the fabric esp at the front
cannot see any pin holes on the stitching
the fabric feels a bit different - a kind of slightly slippery texture

I think we’ve run out of rain now so no water test as yet.

Picked up our new Ocean yesterday (build week 20/11/23) and it has the 04S bellows fitted. Comparing it to the 03S bellows fitted in our previous June 2023 Ocean:

when the roof is up there is definitely less tension in the fabric esp at the front

Thanks for the update and the comparison this is really useful. Your previous Cali was June 23, do you change it every 6months for a new one!!????

Is it just a one day job - in and out?
They have told me 2 days and possibly one further part day? Not sure what the VW authorised hours are for this as it may simply be belt and braces to give plenty of time for the sealant to set.

Interesting to hear 03S and 04S appear almost identical, all fine if they do not leak of course :) Thanks for the update.

Does anyone have the new 04S bellows with production date after 9/11/23 fitted yet? If so, is it possible to post a couple of pictures of the seams to show this ‘foam layer’ that’s been added please?

Cheers.

They have told me 2 days and possibly one further part day? Not sure what the VW authorised hours are for this as it may simply be belt and braces to give plenty of time for the sealant to set.
This. The sealant has to be left overnight to cure I believe.

Mines been moved back to early febuary 24 , hoping it will be a single visit!

Back