Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Hi All, Ive heard that the new bellows are now double skinned, and wondered if anyone has noticed improvements with thermal qualities etc?
I have a t5 with original bellows, and fitted a Thais internal thermal liner which is great at making it darker, and warmer in the winter also cooler in the summer.
I am going to replace the bellows this year - Ive been waiting for the leaking issues to be hopefully better before I ordered, but im wondering whether I would still need the internal liner inside? I would either have to purchase a newer version to fit the panoramic front window which is probably the easier option, ot take my current one to be modified with additional zip.
But if the new bellows are better now, I may not even need the liner at all.
Many thanks!

Hi All, Ive heard that the new bellows are now double skinned, and wondered if anyone has noticed improvements with thermal qualities etc?
I have a t5 with original bellows, and fitted a Thais internal thermal liner which is great at making it darker, and warmer in the winter also cooler in the summer.
I am going to replace the bellows this year - Ive been waiting for the leaking issues to be hopefully better before I ordered, but im wondering whether I would still need the internal liner inside? I would either have to purchase a newer version to fit the panoramic front window which is probably the easier option, ot take my current one to be modified with additional zip.
Many thanks!
Yes the new bellows are definitely thicker and warmer than the previous 02S on MY22 and earlier vans. Not sure about a T5 comparison though.

So glad I rejected mine. I did consider buying again, but if the O4S leaks, I will definitely stick with my old T6. I concur with @Jimmylondon07 regarding affecting my mental health. I really hope VW find a proper solution soon for the sake of everyone affected.

Yes the new bellows are definitely thicker and warmer than the previous 02S on MY22 and earlier vans. Not sure about a T5 comparison though.
Excellent! Thankyou! We camp all year round, so it comes in handy in the winter, but I may change the bellows and leave the liner and see how we get on, and worry about it when we get to the winter.

I also rejected mine (back on 2nd November 2023). Couldn't be dealing with the mental stress any longer. I took delivery on 30th June 2023.
VW replaced the original OEM bellows twice. Both leaked. My van was less than 6 months old and so under the Consumer Protection Act 2015 I was entitled to a refund (The price I paid less a usage figure). I am 70 years young and value my peace of mind and mental health even if VW do not!!
We will find another way to satisfy our travelling lust but sadly I very much doubt it will be in a VW Cali. Very sad.

Many thanks!
The new bellows don't solve the problem of rain being driven through the top vents - someone needs to come up with a pair of mini roof liners just to cover those.

The new bellows don't solve the problem of rain being driven through the top vents - someone needs to come up with a pair of mini roof liners just to cover those.
Are those vents new with the double skin bellows?

Are those vents new with the double skin bellows?
No they've been on every version Ive owned - I'm talking about the bit of mesh in the top front corners on the sides. The mesh is very good at converting large rain drops into a refreshing mist of cold water.

New bellows being the 04S variant?

I also rejected mine (back on 2nd November 2023). Couldn't be dealing with the mental stress any longer. I took delivery on 30th June 2023.
VW replaced the original OEM bellows twice. Both leaked. My van was less than 6 months old and so under the Consumer Protection Act 2015 I was entitled to a refund (The price I paid less a usage figure). I am 70 years young and value my peace of mind and mental health even if VW do not!!
We will find another way to satisfy our travelling lust but sadly I very much doubt it will be in a VW Cali. Very sad.
I’m really sorry to hear this. Can I ask did your dealer deal with the refund or VW direct. Can I also ask how much you agreed on the usage figure.
I really hope you are able to find a solution there are some great van conversions out there. I would be interested in hearing about what you decide and hope you can enjoy your travels.
We’ve cancelled our holidays and put are trips on hold. I don’t want to hand the keys back but i feel it’s becoming more likely

I’m really sorry to hear this. Can I ask did your dealer deal with the refund or VW direct. Can I also ask how much you agreed on the usage figure.
I really hope you are able to find a solution there are some great van conversions out there. I would be interested in hearing about what you decide and hope you can enjoy your travels.
We’ve cancelled our holidays and put are trips on hold. I don’t want to hand the keys back but i feel it’s becoming more likely
The dealer is responsible for the payment but VW have to agree and sign-off any usage fees.

If you are past 30 days you also have to give them 1 chance to fix. I'm assuming you bought less than 6 months ago and more than 30 days.

Which dealer did you use?

The dealer is responsible for the payment but VW have to agree and sign-off any usage fees.

If you are past 30 days you also have to give them 1 chance to fix. I'm assuming you bought less than 6 months ago and more than 30 days.

Yes. Swindon. They havent even got a part to try a fix

Many thanks!

Would just stick with your trusty old waterproof bellows and a save some £.

Would just stick with your trusty old waterproof bellows and a save some £.
Trouble is theyre getting a bit old, tatty and have a few repairs now from small rips / tears, and the plastic spline in the middle of the front has broken near the top of the roof, which makes it snag when closing and prevents the roof closing fully unless I tuck it in when the roof is about 1" off of closed.

Dealer was Birmingham VW Van Centre and the usage payment is calculated by this formula.
Your purchase price/100,000 x Mileage
Edit
Sorry missed part your question. Your Contract is with whom ever you bought the Cali from and as a result any refund will be paid by the dealer directly to you. You must get a case number from the VW executive once a claim has been made and validated by them.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

You are correct. All contact was via the Birmingham VW Van Centre and the VW Executive office in MK.

Get them to Check the version and manufacture date beforehand. I was booked in today but the part that arrived on Saturday was manufactured 10/10/23, before the 9/11/23 key date. So I rejected it and cancelled the work. I will be going back to VWCC to find out why these non-valid parts are still in circulation

Get them to Check the version and manufacture date beforehand. I was booked in today but the part that arrived on Saturday was manufactured 10/10/23, before the 9/11/23 key date. So I rejected it and cancelled the work. I will be going back to VWCC to find out why these non-valid parts are still in circulation
Phew that was a lucky spot before they fitted them - do you happen to know if they were tagged 03S rather than 04S? Just curious as it’s still never been 100% confirmed that post 9/11/23 equals 04S, albeit the assumption is that is the case.

in my weekly call with VWCS last week, Adrian did say that somehow some of these older variants had got out in to the wild, despite VW previously saying they had stopped that happening. Suspect it has something to do with them still having the same part no. as the 03S variant, and to the uninitiated they all look the same.

I'll drop them an email asking the question, they said they've been doing a few lately

Phew that was a lucky spot before they fitted them - do you happen to know if they were tagged 03S rather than 04S? Just curious as it’s still never been 100% confirmed that post 9/11/23 equals 04S, albeit the assumption is that is the case.
Adrian stated this to us last week via email: I have been advised that all new California models are being fitted with the new bellows and the old bellows are no longer produced. The new bellows have a production date of 09/11/2023 onwards and are 04S and these are the bellows being fitted. (Still doesn’t fill me with much confidence though that the new ones won’t leak)

It’s so frustrating to hear that old bellows are still doing the rounds, thank goodness this wasn’t a new part linked to a safety concern, though perhaps they’d have better processes under those circumstances.

They’re still in circulation because they didn’t change the part number. This is so incredibly basic, I just don’t understand how it can even happen with a company as big as VW….!

The bellows in my new Cali were manufactured on 13/11/23 and are the 04S. The van went into production w/c 20/11/23. Not had a chance to test them yet so can’t offer any performance feedback.

IMG_4033.jpeg
IMG_4034.jpeg

Back