Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I dropped off our Ocean at Listers Droitwich today, after I shared video evidence of the leak, below is their email this afternoon

With the jet wash finally thawed out, weve just done the first water test on your California. Sprayed for a good 10 minutes to create a solid misting around the NS area you identified. At this moment in time we haven’t seen any water come through. We will of course test again and hope for a result the same as yours shown in the video you sent over.

My concern at this stage is from a time perspective we need to create a warranty video of the failed bellows before we can order the part in. I know you’ve kindly given us until Saturday morning but with waiting on a delivery and fitting the new part it may be a push to do within the time we have.

I didn’t know whether there was another time you could leave it with us for longer?

I’ll let you know how we get on with testing in the meantime.

So I got the dealership to email further up the chain regarding the leaking bellows and if our van would have the issue or not.

They have come back with this today:

View attachment 118279
Van due to go into build w/c 29th Jan.
That sounds promising. Ours has a build date of Week 5 so hopefully we should also get the latest version of the bellows.

That sounds promising. Ours has a build date of Week 5 so hopefully we should also get the latest version of the bellows.
Ours is build week 3 (so literally being built as I type), and the VW Exec Office replied to us this week to say:
I have been advised that all new California models are being fitted with the new bellows and the old bellows are no longer produced. The new bellows have a production date of 09/11/2023 onwards and are 04S and these are the bellows being fitted.

I dropped off our Ocean at Listers Droitwich today, after I shared video evidence of the leak, below is their email this afternoon

With the jet wash finally thawed out, weve just done the first water test on your California. Sprayed for a good 10 minutes to create a solid misting around the NS area you identified. At this moment in time we haven’t seen any water come through. We will of course test again and hope for a result the same as yours shown in the video you sent over.

My concern at this stage is from a time perspective we need to create a warranty video of the failed bellows before we can order the part in. I know you’ve kindly given us until Saturday morning but with waiting on a delivery and fitting the new part it may be a push to do within the time we have.

I didn’t know whether there was another time you could leave it with us for longer?

I’ll let you know how we get on with testing in the meantime.
Are you in contact with anyone from the VW executive office? I had many contacts, but they all pushed (at least they said they did) to ensure a decent water test in a short period of time. i did leave mine with them for a week though, but that was because they couldn’t get the part and I couldn’t collect it and return it easily.

I received an email from Listers Droitwich this evening, confirming that after further tests our bellows leak on the Ocean.

They have put an order in for warranty replacement :)
Great news :) Hope the replacement goes smoothly.

I received an email from Listers Droitwich this evening, confirming that after further tests our bellows leak on the Ocean.

They have put an order in for warranty replacement :)
Make sure that they check what they receive are the 04S version with a manufactured date of 9/11/23 or later, prior to installing them. During my weekly call with VWCS this week he said that somehow some older ones had got back in to circulation, which possibly explains why my swap out ended up with another set of 03S back in November (still awaiting the next set). Sounded like this mess was a little while ago, and in theory now resolved but my own experience of checking, checking again and then again still didn’t get the right result so make sure they check the paper tag attached to the zipper before they take the current ones off your van. The dealers get paid no matter how many times they replace them for you !

My latest update. Head Office have now confirmed that this is a wide spread issue across Europe.
VW California’s are still being sold with the known fault.
The latest fix hasn’t worked and VW are working on a new fix! No date but I have been promised an update on Friday.
VW still declining to talk about compensation and are saying that the dealership may give a gesture of good will. My argument is that it’s not the dealership that’s liable. Has anyone else got anywhere with this?
I know that some owners have done this but I have registered my case with the ombudsman. What’s been the response?
I have also asked trading standards to investigate.
Would anyone be willing to join me at
Volkswagen UK
Volkswagen Group United Kingdom
Yeomans Drive
Blakelands
Milton Keynes
MK14 5AN
As a protest and to get some media coverage about the issue?

It’s news to me if the 04S post-November version hasn’t solved the issue, I am waiting to have one fitted. How sure are you?

I have asked the EO repeatedly about compensation and they always divert me back to the van centre who, other than the service manager (who it doesn’t sit with), no longer respond to me. Am still waiting for any kind of response from the dealer to my rejection letter from November, let alone anything on the goodwill side. I’ve told the EO this but they don’t care. I didn’t even have the van for a month of my ownership, it was sat at Eurovans. Still don’t care.

Have also got nowhere with the Ombudsman, it needs to have been ongoing for 6 months really. I’m almost at that point timewise but had resolved to just plough on and enjoy the van on the basis that 04S were soon to be fitted, was spending far too much time in this thread (and ultimately getting nowhere with the dealer/VW) than was good for my mental health. To be honest, it started to take its toll in a big way.

I’ve already had a bellows replacement - an 03S in November which hasn’t leaked YET - I do wonder what the dealer did to it so they could avoid the rejection.

Last edited:
I was told that the Nov fix hasn’t worked by the dealer and Head Office so as sure as I can be.
I am really sorry Jimmy that it’s affecting you in this way. It’s just not acceptable.
I’ve also contacted Trading Standards today. If you are able to do the same that would be helpful.
Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, we are entitled to goods that are of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, and as described. It is evident that our VW California’s do not meet these standards.
I’ve also sent emails of to media outlets, consumer right champions and my MP.
I’m going to go to VW UK in Milton Keynes to protest. Not sure what it will do but I’m fed up waiting.
I’m looking at taking civil action as well. Just waiting for the form

I was told that the Nov fix hasn’t worked by the dealer and Head Office so as sure as I can be.
I am really sorry Jimmy that it’s affecting you in this way. It’s just not acceptable.
I’ve also contacted Trading Standards today. If you are able to do the same that would be helpful.
Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, we are entitled to goods that are of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, and as described. It is evident that our VW California’s do not meet these standards.
I’m going to go to VW UK in Milton Keynes to protest. Not sure what it will do but I’m fed up waiting.
I think we'll have a clearer idea if the 04S is a proper fix in the Spring. Considering the number of new bellows on Cali's there is very little feedback of their performance. Oddly though, there have been no reports of 04S failings on any of the forums to date.

You’re right Paul, it’s not acceptable but as they said in the Post Office drama, ‘we’re just skint little people’. For now mine isn’t leaking when tested so not sure there’s much I can do anyway, if it was then it would be a different story.

Thanks for sharing this rather alarming info Paul. When did you speak with the Exec Office?

We asked them if the leaking bellows will impact our new van (currently in build) and they replied on Wednesday this week to say all new models are being fitted with the new bellows… we were quite confident this meant no more leaks… but re-reading their reply they haven’t actually stated it will stop the leaks.

What dealer is it that has advised you that the November fix has not worked? I like others have seen no mention that the 04S bellows have leaked.

What dealer is it that has advised you that the November fix has not worked? I like others have seen no mention that the 04S bellows have leaked.
I’ve seen no evidence they don’t leak either. There’s just been a general lack of evidence with the 04S version. Some personal experiences would be helpful.

As recently as this week I was told by EO there were still zero reported issues with bellows manufactured after 9 Nov. IMO VW EO have been very transparent with me.

Have VW since renaged on that position or is it a version problem. I heard there are still some rogue bellows in the system but that the new version is finally getting it's own part number.

My latest update. Head Office have now confirmed that this is a wide spread issue across Europe.
VW California’s are still being sold with the known fault.
The latest fix hasn’t worked and VW are working on a new fix! No date but I have been promised an update on Friday.
VW still declining to talk about compensation and are saying that the dealership may give a gesture of good will. My argument is that it’s not the dealership that’s liable. Has anyone else got anywhere with this?
I know that some owners have done this but I have registered my case with the ombudsman. What’s been the response?
I have also asked trading standards to investigate.
Would anyone be willing to join me at
Volkswagen UK
Volkswagen Group United Kingdom
Yeomans Drive
Blakelands
Milton Keynes
MK14 5AN
As a protest and to get some media coverage about the issue?
I thought some may have been built and delivered with the none latest version hence the issue. Not that post 9 Nov has a problem.

Your contract is with the company you purchased from so that's who you need to request any Goodwill from. What is the basis for your wanting redress? Has the vehicle been stuck in the dealers for weeks?

Thanks for sharing this rather alarming info Paul. When did you speak with the Exec Office?

We asked them if the leaking bellows will impact our new van (currently in build) and they replied on Wednesday this week to say all new models are being fitted with the new bellows… we were quite confident this meant no more leaks… but re-reading their reply they haven’t actually stated it will stop the leaks.
On Thursday and have another call on Monday

I thought some may have been built and delivered with the none latest version hence the issue. Not that post 9 Nov has a problem.

Your contract is with the company you purchased from so that's who you need to request any Goodwill from. What is the basis for your wanting redress? Has the vehicle been stuck in the dealers for weeks?
My redress is that the California was faulty when I purchased it, it was not sold fit for purpose under the legislation and that I’ve cancelled holidays, been totally inconvenienced and that it was a known fault that I should have been aware of etc

My redress is that the California was faulty when I purchased it, it was not sold fit for purpose under the legislation and that I’ve cancelled holidays, been totally inconvenienced and that it was a known fault that I should have been aware of etc
Of course. I will also let you know if I get any responses to my correspondence

Back