Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

When our van arrives at the dealership in the UK I’ll be asking them to look at the label and tell me what revision the bellows are which may result in an instant rejection of the van.

It’s far easier to reject on day 1 if it’s not right.

From VW on 27th Nov 2023
2nd Para most interesting.
1706204980515.png

VW will inevitably seek to minimise the matter in any statement they might make. Fortunately they appear to be taking it seriously in developing revised bellows?

From VW on 27th Nov 2023
2nd Para most interesting.
View attachment 118478
I might be reading too much into this but, I take it that potentially the 04S post 09/11/23 are the “replacement part with further improvements”. It would make sense that the improved bellows go on the production Cali’s and that it would take time to get the stock levels out to dealers to replace the faulty bellows. Well can only hope that is the case :oops:

I think realism is needed here; the Cali isn’t designed to withstand extreme weather and nor do people expect it to be (or should do anyway); that’s what the user manual caveat is about. However it should withstand non-extreme typical weather and it appears VW are taking this component seriously and are trying to establish a fix.

I think realism is needed here; the Cali isn’t designed to withstand extreme weather and nor do people expect it to be (or should do anyway); that’s what the user manual caveat is about. However it should withstand non-extreme typical weather and it appears VW are taking this component seriously and are trying to establish a fix.

The older fabric(s) / seams are very water resistant, even in heavy storms…so don’t let VW fob you off with something that’s not fit for purpose just because they might have switched to a cheaper supplier.

Reading all the posts …might be better off buying a used van with the older style fabric. Resale value of new vans is bound to be impacted by this roof issue, especially if further issues develop outside of the warranty period.

Cali roof has always been its Achilles heel..galvanic rust, leaking hydraulics, sagging and now leaky seams…

Last edited:
I also rejected mine (back on 2nd November 2023). Couldn't be dealing with the mental stress any longer. I took delivery on 30th June 2023.
VW replaced the original OEM bellows twice. Both leaked. My van was less than 6 months old and so under the Consumer Protection Act 2015 I was entitled to a refund (The price I paid less a usage figure). I am 70 years young and value my peace of mind and mental health even if VW do not!!
We will find another way to satisfy our travelling lust but sadly I very much doubt it will be in a VW Cali. Very sad.
Hi Jabberwocky.
We took delivery of a new Cali, and, like you not wanting VW grief being 70+++ years young and having gone though the early days of the roof corrosion saga, we decided to sell and we've now bought a 2 year old 4Mo via the club adds. Hopefully this will avoid early engine problems, roof corrosion, and leaky bellows!

Hopefully you can regain the VW faith and continue to be a much valued Forum member.

There won't be a "recall" in the official sense as it's not a safety issue, it'll get replaced on an as and when basis as customers flag up with their dealership they're having problems - it'll just happen more readily than some other warranty complaints as there'll be a case for replacement already there. I suggest you call VW Customer Services and log a complaint; eventually you'll end up on "Adrian's list" and he can speak to the van centre on your behalf.
You will need Adrian to enable the process in my experience, dealer denied any knowledge of the issue.

I might be reading too much into this but, I take it that potentially the 04S post 09/11/23 are the “replacement part with further improvements”. It would make sense that the improved bellows go on the production Cali’s and that it would take time to get the stock levels out to dealers to replace the faulty bellows. Well can only hope that is the case :oops:
i had my weekly call with Adrian at VWCS yesterday and he says there are still no reports of 04S bellows leaking. Obviously it will take time and into at least the summer before we all dare to dream that maybe this is the end of the saga, but as each week goes by and no reports of leaks on here or anywhere else then it starts to look more hopefully - hope I haven’t jinxed it now !
To be fair to Adrian he is speaking to my dealer weekly to make sure their order of my replacements is still progressing - due next week we hope. I also asked him about whether the 04S dated pre-9th Nov were also the latest version, to which he says he is still awaiting a reply from Germany, but he and somebody else higher than him are chasing that nearly daily for about the last 3 weeks. Hence his official line still has to be that it’s only 9th November onwards that are the latest version but only because that’s all VW have said. All new vans on the production line should have 04S now which is good for all new owners and as each day goes by more 04S being released in to the wild should give a bigger sample of test cases. One day we can sleep easy I am sure but still not quite yet ……..

This is what i am hoping for :)

Hi Jabberwocky.
We took delivery of a new Cali, and, like you not wanting VW grief being 70+++ years young and having gone though the early days of the roof corrosion saga, we decided to sell and we've now bought a 2 year old 4Mo via the club adds. Hopefully this will avoid early engine problems, roof corrosion, and leaky bellows!

Hopefully you can regain the VW faith and continue to be a much valued Forum member.
I think you made the right call for your situation :) Hope you are enjoying your new van!

We had our new bellows fitted yesterday - 04S but a tag date of 23 October 2023. Discussion with the parts manager at the dealer said that they’d had issues with older bellows being mixed in with newer versions and struggling to get clarity over what was the latest version. I’ve been back in touch with Adrian at VWCV and the dealer to get them to work together on getting the latest version fitted as not believing that an October 23 version will be the long term fix.

Very frustrated.

We had our new bellows fitted yesterday - 04S but a tag date of 23 October 2023. Discussion with the parts manager at the dealer said that they’d had issues with older bellows being mixed in with newer versions and struggling to get clarity over what was the latest version. I’ve been back in touch with Adrian at VWCV and the dealer to get them to work together on getting the latest version fitted as not believing that an October 23 version will be the long term fix.

Very frustrated.
I suppose when it comes to the 04S variants the only way to find out is to test them.

I'd have thought the variant code would be more important than the date.

It really shouldn't be this hard to get this information from VW. With that being said, if VW actually release a statement publicly they'd be inundated by people wanting bellows replaced which I'm sure they are trying to avoid.

The longer I follow this thread the more I want to wait a little longer to get the replacement bellows installed. There is so much misinformation, miss messaging from VW (eg the Jan release of latest new new newer bellows) and supposition, that I want to wait until there is far more universal, realworld testing in the field (or driveway) in favour of the 04S before scheduling any work. The continued use of the same part number is not helping either, which only leaves the date of production as a marker and extrapolate something from that.

The longer I follow this thread the more I want to wait a little longer to get the replacement bellows installed. There is so much misinformation, miss messaging from VW (eg the Jan release of latest new new newer bellows) and supposition, that I want to wait until there is far more universal, realworld testing in the field (or driveway) in favour of the 04S before scheduling any work. The continued use of the same part number is not helping either, which only leaves the date of production as a marker and extrapolate something from that.
Out of interest. When you take delivery of your new van and you get the invoice. Does it include all part numbers for items installed?

Last edited:
Out of interest. When you take delivery of your new van and you get the invoice. Does it include all part numbers for items installed?
That info is not supplied to the new owner. It is likely on an internal VW database and stored during the build process. I bought a Belgian-spec Coast but I assume that is true in all markets.

Has anyone with 04S bellows done a full (eg. 5 mins duration) hose spray test as per the tests that many done on 03S bellows earlier in this thread?

That could help give confidence on the 04S bellows.

Has anyone with 04S bellows done a full (eg. 5 mins duration) hose spray test as per the tests that many done on 03S bellows earlier in this thread?

That could help give confidence on the 04S bellows.
Yes. Read my post #1557 in this thread.

Back