Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

new bellows fitted! Another 5 in the workshop at Liverpool having same done at same time. Hopefully this works as date is pre 9/11. Asked about this and was assured these are the latest version/new stock. Fingers crossed

IMG_2814.jpeg

new bellows fitted! Another 5 in the workshop at Liverpool having same done at same time. Hopefully this works as date is pre 9/11. Asked about this and was assured these are the latest version/new stock. Fingers crossed

View attachment 118529
Picked my Cali back up yesterday, they are the bellows after yours. No A on any of them though.

20240127_164809.jpg

Picked my Cali back up yesterday, they are the bellows after yours. No A on any of them though.

View attachment 118540
I think the A sticker might be a quality control sticker. I remember when I had my 03S set replaced when this all started the VW parts guy mentioned something about them being checked and stickered before being sent out. My replacement 03S set were a much better fit (far less tension) than the original set, though still leaky, just not as bad. Overall they were definitely a better made set of bellows.

Got the chance to do a quick first test today - 15 mins of constant rain-like spray and glad to see no drips coming through, where it would have been dripping internally with the original bellows.

Will need to repeat it a few more times with gradually increasing water pressure to be fully confident.

I’m still waiting on a response from the dealer and VW CV Exec Office as the manufacturing date is still a big concern.

Got the chance to do a quick first test today - 15 mins of constant rain-like spray and glad to see no drips coming through, where it would have been dripping internally with the original bellows.

Will need to repeat it a few more times with gradually increasing water pressure to be fully confident.

I’m still waiting on a response from the dealer and VW CV Exec Office as the manufacturing date is still a big concern.
If the bellows don’t leak when tested properly why would the manufacturing date be a concern?

If the bellows don’t leak when tested properly why would the manufacturing date be a concern?
Because - according to VWCV - there appear to be more than one iteration of the 04S bellows in circulation and reports of earlier 04S versions failing. If there is a later version then you have to wonder what was the reason that was implemented by VW and what conditions the previous version failed in.

Yes, they have kept a light hose test out but that doesn’t mean that they’re acceptable for the conditions that we can expect to be using the van in, such as prolonged rain.

Because - according to VWCV - there appear to be more than one iteration of the 04S bellows in circulation and reports of earlier 04S versions failing. If there is a later version then you have to wonder what was the reason that was implemented by VW and what conditions the previous version failed in.

Yes, they have kept a light hose test out but that doesn’t mean that they’re acceptable for the conditions that we can expect to be using the van in, such as prolonged rain.
Where are the reports of earlier 04S bellows failing? I’ve not seen these.

No of course a light hose test isn’t good enough - I didn’t suggest it was. I said they need to be tested properly. So if they’re tested properly and then don’t leak why would the date of manufacture matter?

Perfectly reasonable.

Perfectly reasonable.
To focus on getting the best possible outcome (best possible bellows) seems very reasonable/sensible to me. In purchasing a California you opted for what is marketed as the premium product. VW recognise this hence why they are putting in place a number of revisions to get things back to where they should have been (if the defective bellows had not been fitted). You want the final revised version/best version.

To focus on getting the best possible outcome (best possible bellows) seems very reasonable/sensible to me. In purchasing a California you opted for what is marketed as the premium product. VW recognise this hence why they are putting in place a number of revisions to get things back to where they should have been (if the defective bellows had not been fitted). You want the final revised version/best version.

Ideally you want try to leave the roof up on your driveway etc everytime it rains heavily to test any new canvas properly, any issues can then be reported / hopefully resolved before warranty expires.

Ideally you want try to leave the roof up on your driveway etc everytime it rains heavily to test any new canvas properly, any issues can then be reported / hopefully resolved before warranty expires.
It doesn’t help current owners but those that are waiting on orders have a bit of relief as the vans come with a five year warranty.

It doesn’t help current owners but those that are waiting on orders have a bit of relief as the vans come with a five year warranty.
Well. Everyone who bought a van in the last three years has a 3 year warranty. 5 if you paid for the upgrade, or got as part of an offer.

Given the new bellows came in only last year anyone with failing bellows still has around 2.5 years warranty left. More if they upgraded.

This has been the point all along to everyones ire on this topic.

It’s been pants and VW screwed up but they were always going to put it right eventually and everyone affected get their van fixed for free on request.

Edit - new bellows came in late 22 Not late 23. Still - 1.5 to 3.5 years warranty.

Last edited:
You’ll have a job getting VW to replace a product under warranty that isn’t faulty just because it isn’t the most recent version of it. It wouldn’t be reasonable at all.

Well. Everyone who bought a van in the last three years has a 3 year warranty. 5 if you paid for the upgrade, or got as part of an offer.

Given the new bellows came in only last year anyone with failing bellows still has around 2.5 years warranty left. More if they upgraded.

This has been the point all along to everyones ire on this topic.

It’s been pants and VW screwed up but they were always going to put it right eventually and everyone affected get their van fixed for free on request.
Actually the new bellows appeared 9/22. Us poor folks on the Continent only get 2 years, so time is even more of the essence. I can see some owners not figuring out a problem exists within the warranty period assuming they are fair weather campers and don't subscribe to forums like this.

Back