Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

We bought the van from VW Liverpool but they were not very helpful when the roof leaked so eventually we took it to VW Van Centre Llandudno Junction. They have sorted it although, I am not sure how far we would have got if Adrain from VWEO hadn’t been on the case. It seems as though that was the best way to keep things moving to a hopefully successful conclusion. To be fair, once everyone was on the same page Llandudno were excellent at communicating and doing what they said they would. The biggest problem was the need for three booked visits, once to show them the issue, once for them to follow the official “does it leak” VW test and once to actually get it fixed.

I did also speak with Hereford and Birmingham dealers in November but both said they had no knowledge of a bellows problem!
I have had the same experience, dealers deny any problem, prevarication over testing and failure to deliver.
Progress is only made by engaging VWEO.

I have had the same experience, dealers deny any problem, prevarication over testing and failure to deliver.
Progress is only made by engaging VWEO.
I have heard good things about Breeze VW van centre in Poole.
My take away from all of this roof stuff, is that the dealership you choose can make a big difference to your ownership experience :)

Not so great weather for drying them with a cold snap approaching though! I had mine up in showers at the weekend and it performed perfectly, but the conditions were hardly conclusive.

Not so great weather for drying them with a cold snap approaching though! I had mine up in showers at the weekend and it performed perfectly, but the conditions were hardly conclusive.
There’s a cold snap coming?

I just saw a dry day tomorrow.

Initial test sounds promising but as you say a little inconclusive.

Didn't your replacements leak, about the same time ours were installed? Have you since had the very latest 04S bellows installed. Fingers crossed if you have!!

Didn't your replacements leak, about the same time ours were installed? Have you since had the very latest 04S bellows installed. Fingers crossed if you have!!
I am currently on an 04S after many many replacements, but it's not the "latest latest" as it's pre the "magic date".

I am currently on an 04S after many many replacements, but it's not the "latest latest" as it's pre the "magic date".
You're very patient.
Has the fitting been done with care? Complicated process to replace bellows, making the likelihood of damage to the van a high possibility?

Good news. And i hope in time all will stay that way :)
I don't see it likely to fail in that way, I'd be more concerned about when the (final?!) bellows reaches end of life in say 10-12 years time, how easily it is replaced then. I guess a bridge to cross when the time comes!

You're very patient.
Has the fitting been done with care? Complicated process to replace bellows, making the likelihood of damage to the van a high possibility?

It's not complicated, in simple terms it's pushing a rubber seal into a groove with a bit of glue. Far easier than replacing a windscreen. Only difficult bit is making sure the centre of the bellows is lined up with the centre of the roof

I don't see it likely to fail in that way, I'd be more concerned about when the (final?!) bellows reaches end of life in say 10-12 years time, how easily it is replaced then. I guess a bridge to cross when the time comes!
The longest i have had a California from new is 7 years, and the bellows looked to be perfect as far as i could judge...no leaks, marks or visible wear. Treated with care i would guess they should be good for 20 odd years (these were single skin, factory fitted ones of course). I had a type 2 van that had the stripy plasticy bellows and they were 30 odd years old, a few stains and holes, but they were fine too!

It's not complicated, in simple terms it's pushing a rubber seal into a groove with a bit of glue. Far easier than replacing a windscreen. Only difficult bit is making sure the centre of the bellows is lined up with the centre of the roof
Reassuring. Thanks.

Great weather to test those newly fitted poptops.
For those interested, yesterday I had my new bellows up in 6 hours of rain which was continuous and at times very heavy. The canvas got a complete soaking over that period and my old 03S would have been leaking like a sieve after the first 15 minutes.

I am delighted to report that my 22/11/2023 04S replacement did not let a drop in. I dropped the roof before we went to bed and raised it again this morning and whilst the outer canvas still seemed wet to touch there had been no leakage or damp transference whilst it was down.

I know this is not an absolute test but I am delighted so-far and am now rather more confident, in appropriate conditions, not to bother with our topper which had become our best friend! I will report back later in the year after multiple nights away or sooner if it leaks.

Hope that helps someone.

For those interested, yesterday I had my new bellows up in 6 hours of rain which was continuous and at times very heavy. The canvas got a complete soaking over that period and my old 03S would have been leaking like a sieve after the first 15 minutes.

I am delighted to report that my 22/11/2023 04S replacement did not let a drop in. I dropped the roof before we went to bed and raised it again this morning and whilst the outer canvas still seemed wet to touch there had been no leakage or damp transference whilst it was down.

I know this is not an absolute test but I am delighted so-far and am now rather more confident, in appropriate conditions, not to bother with our topper which had become our best friend! I will report back later in the year after multiple nights away or sooner if it leaks.

Hope that helps someone.
Great news, although for an owner of a pre 9/11/23 04S, it leaves me still unsure, but at least we are getting the confidence that the "latest latest" genuinely do seem to perform very well indeed (or rather, "as they should").

Hope that helps someone.
Thanks. More reassurance :)

Well, our van is in for bellows replacement today/tomorrow. I asked them to just check the manufacturing date before fitting and the ordered set were 04S dated 081023! So it’s hold fire for now. I’m glad the servicing guy checked and called me, I’d be even gladder if he’d done so before taking my van in. In his defence, apparently the labels aren’t visible until the replacement is opened. Ho–hum. Good to hear the new new seem to be working as expected.

Update on my 04S 13/10/23 bellows. Good amount of light to medium rain today with a steady breeze. Opened it up before lunch and had a look around 6:30. Drips in 3 places along the front and 1 on the front of the side seem (side the wind was blowing). A lot better than the original 03S bellows, am I expecting too much? Stopped the test for today as wasn't sure if it was going to get worse.

20240208_191247.jpg

20240208_191222.jpg

Last edited:
Update on my 04S 13/10/23 bellows. Good amount of light to medium rain today with a steady breeze. Opened it up before lunch and had a look around 6:30. Drips in 3 places along the front and 1 on the front of the side seem (side the wind was blowing). A lot better than the original 03S bellows, am I expecting too much. Stopped the test for today as wasn't sure if it was going to get worse.

View attachment 118992

View attachment 118993
Is that the first “wetting” it’s had? I certainly wouldn’t accept that though. If you’re in touch with Adrian you definitely need to raise it with him.

Update on my 04S 13/10/23 bellows. Good amount of light to medium rain today with a steady breeze. Opened it up before lunch and had a look around 6:30. Drips in 3 places along the front and 1 on the front of the side seem (side the wind was blowing). A lot better than the original 03S bellows, am I expecting too much? Stopped the test for today as wasn't sure if it was going to get worse.

View attachment 118992

View attachment 118993
You're pre 9/11. Let the water whet the stitching and repeat. Pretty sure they will leak again. If they do get them replaced. Yet more proof to insist on the post 9/11 bellows.

Is that the first “wetting” it’s had? I certainly wouldn’t accept that though. If you’re in touch with Adrian you definitely need to raise it with him.
First time wet, thought people were saying this thread swelling was a myth with synthetic materials. Email sent to Adrian, I'm on a weekly update with him.

Back