Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

This was the earlier post I was referencing. Top photo in my previous post is the 04S from this quoted post, second photo was my 03S. @From tent to van suggested a few drops and it didn't get any worse, there was subsequent discussion about less waxing of the threads and they might swell after a few wettings. I'm fairly sure @From tent to van hasn't had chance to do any subsequent testing so we don't know if that theory stands.

I think this was before the new part number that's apparently been available since the 17th January and the date of the 04S bellows in this case was prior to the magic date.

There are just too many unknowns at the moment. It's the wrong time of year (depending on how you look at it!) for testing the canvas unless you've got drying facilities or a known dry spell approaching. Until we get solid confirmation from VWEO or anyone else, I think it's just going to be a case of suck it and see.
Correct. I’ve not had time for further testing and then the time to dry the bellows. Waiting for some better weather.

If only it were on request and not after testing at the dealership.
Think it depends on the dealership and/or maybe a helping hand from VWCS. My first replacement was done without a test, I just gave them a few basic photos of it leaking (frankly could have copied some off here if didn’t have my own!). They replaced 03S with 03S despite confirming they had 04S in stock for me. I haven’t even tested that second set of 03S, and they reordered for me. I know Adrian from VWCS has been chasing them too so not sure if that helped. Either way the 04S came in to them today so I am now booked in.

They have confirmed they have 04S but am waiting for them to confirm the date first!

Last edited:
Think it depends on the dealership and/or maybe a helping hand from VWCS. My first replacement was done without a test, I just gave them a few basic photos of it leaking (frankly could have copied some off here if didn’t have my own!). They replaced 03S with 03S despite confirming they had 04S in stick for me. I haven’t even tested that second set of 03S, and they reordered for me. I know Adrian from VWCS has been chasing them too so not sure if that helped. Either way the 04S came in to them today so I am now booked in.

They have confirmed they have 04S but am waiting for them to confirm the date first!
Get a pic of the tag.

Get a pic of the tag.
Have asked for that, especially after they were factually incorrect last time (some may say lied deliberately to get the work !) - a lesson for all there make sure you see the tag before letting them rip the old bellows off the van.

Have asked for that, especially after they were factually incorrect last time (some may say lied deliberately to get the work !) - a lesson for all there make sure you see the tag before letting them rip the old bellows off the van.
You couldn’t make it up - the dealership came back today to say that the date on the 04S bellows they received earlier this week for me is 23rd October I.e. before the 9th November which, for those that may not be aware, is the magic date the VWCS are still quoting as the only reliable date. So pending any confirmation from VWCS to the contrary those are not going on my van. How are these earlier dated bellows still getting sent out when VW themselves only support 9th November onwards

Had mine fitted at Vw Liverpool 4S dated 10/10/23. challenged the dealer about the key date 9th November But they seemed oblivious to this key Date. I let them go ahead and fit it but after follow up call with Adrian advised him of the issue of pre 9/11 bellows being fitted. Was assured that if they don’t preform then I could have later version fitted. You couldn’t make it up!

Had mine fitted at Vw Liverpool 4S dated 10/10/23. challenged the dealer about the key date 9th November But they seemed oblivious to this key Date. I let them go ahead and fit it but after follow up call with Adrian advised him of the issue of pre 9/11 bellows being fitted. Was assured that if they don’t preform then I could have later version fitted. You couldn’t make it up!
You would think that they must be ok but until somebody confirms it’s frustrating - have you been able to see if they have the additional black seal bellow the half moon windows per the pics in comment #1,871 above ? If they have then that would be a very good indicator that they are the new design.

You would think that they must be ok but until somebody confirms it’s frustrating - have you been able to see if they have the additional black seal bellow the half moon windows per the pics in comment #1,871 above ? If they have then that would be a very good indicator that they are the new design.
Thanks Andy, not had chance to check that yet but will take a look

Correct. I’ve not had time for further testing and then the time to dry the bellows. Waiting for some better weather.
Hi,
How long does the replacement take to complete? My dealer has had my van for 10 days and it's still in process.

Hi,
How long does the replacement take to complete? My dealer has had my van for 10 days and it's still in process.
Hi. The replacement takes 2 working days. They fit at the end of the first and leave overnight for the glue to dry.

If they wanted to water test it then add on a day or so to test it and dry it. They may want to do that both before (to confirm the failure of the one that's on the van) and after the replacement (to confirm it's watertight). It's also possible they want to confirm it's leaking before they order a replacement part - in which case you're then waiting on parts to arrive.

I'd just give them a call and ask.

If they wanted to water test it then add on a day or so to test it and dry it. They may want to do that both before (to confirm the failure of the one that's on the van) and after the replacement (to confirm it's watertight). It's also possible they want to confirm it's leaking before they order a replacement part - in which case you're then waiting on parts to arrive.

I'd just give them a call and ask.
When I took it in to them they confirmed that they had the new bellows in the workshop and Adrian had called them to authorise.
Will be called them for an update today.

had ours back today with shiny new bellows. Pleased to report 04S manufactured on 22/11/2023so there are some later ones in the system.

put it up to check but we are in North Wales at the moment and the wind is quite strong so will do a proper weather test when we get home

It went in on Wednesday and we could have had it back late Thursday but chose to get it this morning instead (Friday) as I thought an extra day not being driven could only help.

had ours back today with shiny new bellows. Pleased to report 04S manufactured on 22/11/2023so there are some later ones in the system.

put it up to check but we are in North Wales at the moment and the wind is quite strong so will do a proper weather test when we get home

It went in on Wednesday and we could have had it back late Thursday but chose to get it this morning instead (Friday) as I thought an extra day not being driven could only help.
Best test is in strong wind with driving rain

I think we are due to get our van this month. Maybe as soon as a couple of weeks time. So will be able to give insight to those waiting on a new van as to what they can expect bellow wise.

That's great, did you have the bellows done at Liverpool VW?

When I took it in to them they confirmed that they had the new bellows in the workshop and Adrian had called them to authorise.
Will be called them for an update today.
Using the VW app I can see the roof is up and the sliding door open, looks like progress!

That's great, did you have the bellows done at Liverpool VW?
We bought the van from VW Liverpool but they were not very helpful when the roof leaked so eventually we took it to VW Van Centre Llandudno Junction. They have sorted it although, I am not sure how far we would have got if Adrain from VWEO hadn’t been on the case. It seems as though that was the best way to keep things moving to a hopefully successful conclusion. To be fair, once everyone was on the same page Llandudno were excellent at communicating and doing what they said they would. The biggest problem was the need for three booked visits, once to show them the issue, once for them to follow the official “does it leak” VW test and once to actually get it fixed.

I did also speak with Hereford and Birmingham dealers in November but both said they had no knowledge of a bellows problem!

Last edited:
We bought the van from VW Liverpool but they were not very helpful when the roof leaked so eventually we took it to VW Van Centre Llandudno Junction. They have sorted it although, I am not sure how far we would have got if Adrain from VWEO hadn’t been on the case. It seems as though that was the best way to keep things moving to a hopefully successful conclusion. To be fair, once everyone was on the same page Llandudno were excellent at communicating and doing what they said they would. The biggest problem was the need for three booked visits, once to show them the issue, once for them to follow the official “does it leak” VW test and once to actually get it fixed.

I did also speak with Hereford and Birmingham dealers in November but both said they had no knowledge of a bellows problem!
That's really helpful to know, thank you. I'll probably choose between Liverpool & Manchester when getting the bellows replaced, & although I hadn't thought about it previously Llandudno Junction isn't out of the question either! I hope all goes well with your new bellows

Denial of any problem is lesson one of VWs how to man the service desk training module.

In 2020 with a previous van I had a service advisor deny that any roof had ever sagged & mine was the first he had heard of.

He looked somewhat embarrassed when I pointed out the van in the showroom about 20ft away that had a sagging roof.

Listers in Droitwich. Very good sorting mine out.

Back