Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

First time wet, thought people were saying this thread swelling was a myth with synthetic materials. Email sent to Adrian, I'm on a weekly update with him.
You're probably right, but can't help to double check after the initial wetting.

Update on my 04S 13/10/23 bellows. Good amount of light to medium rain today with a steady breeze. Opened it up before lunch and had a look around 6:30. Drips in 3 places along the front and 1 on the front of the side seem (side the wind was blowing). A lot better than the original 03S bellows, am I expecting too much? Stopped the test for today as wasn't sure if it was going to get worse.

View attachment 118992

View attachment 118993
That is unacceptable. The bellows on our T5.1 have never leaked in even moderate driving rain, which is what you should reasonably expect (in my opinion)

First time wet, thought people were saying this thread swelling was a myth with synthetic materials. Email sent to Adrian, I'm on a weekly update with him.
Hi I very new to this forum so forgive my ignorance, but who is Adrian?

You're probably right, but can't help to double check after the initial wetting.
Its pretty much universal advice that fabric structures like tents and awnings need to go through 2-3 wetting and drying cycles. This applies to natural and man made products. I would do this before confirming a leak. Here is one piece of advice on the topic

Its pretty much universal advice that fabric structures like tents and awnings need to go through 2-3 wetting and drying cycles. This applies to natural and man made products. I would do this before confirming a leak. Here is one piece of advice on the topic

While I agree with the concept (and certainly the old cotton/polycotton tents it was essential), I've owned half a dozen modern nylon tents, from extreme mountaineering tents to campsite behemoths and none of them have required any wetting cycles before performing, all have been completely waterproof from the outset.

Hi I very new to this forum so forgive my ignorance, but who is Adrian?
He works for VW Commercial Vehicles, some people say VWEO, exec office I think. He's the contact in VW customer services that many of us are talking too about resolving the bellows issue.

Just off the phone to them, and apparently the other two sets of ordered bellows for other folk also 'old stock'. New ones on back-order.

I'd very much suggest getting confirmation of bellows model and date if you're booked for the replacement.

Dealers shouldn't be fitting anything other than the last bellows

Dealers shouldn't be holding old stock.
The issue is that VW are still sending out 04S variants that pre-date 9th November incl. the set my dealer received for me last week dated 20th October. But at the same time VW are still not able to confirm to Adrian and others at VWCS whether the pre 9th November variants of 04S are viable. Hence the only advice that VWCS can issue currently is don’t fit the pre 9th November version. I know Adrian is as exasperated as all of us that what should be a simple question between VW and the bellows manufacturer, just isn’t getting through.

The issue is that VW are still sending out 04S variants that pre-date 9th November incl. the set my dealer received for me last week dated 20th October. But at the same time VW are still not able to confirm to Adrian and others at VWCS whether the pre 9th November variants of 04S are viable. Hence the only advice that VWCS can issue currently is don’t fit the pre 9th November version. I know Adrian is as exasperated as all of us that what should be a simple question between VW and the bellows manufacturer, just isn’t getting through.
Except now there's a new part number so this shouldn't be happening any more

Except now there's a new part number so this shouldn't be happening any more
I’ve been told it’s the same part number from Adrian. This is causing the issues of older versions still being sent out. They have not removed them from the supply chain.

I’ve been told it’s the same part number from Adrian. This is causing the issues of older versions still being sent out. They have not removed them from the supply chain.
Adrian told me in January that there was going to be a new part to stop those problems. My dealer ordered that part number 2 or 3 weeks ago and they were originally on Back Order but now my dealer has a batch of them.

Adrian told me in January that there was going to be a new part to stop those problems. My dealer ordered that part number 2 or 3 weeks ago and they were originally on Back Order but now my dealer has a batch of them.
Will be interesting to see the date on the label. If the dealer has stock of them can you ask them to check the label?

While I agree with the concept (and certainly the old cotton/polycotton tents it was essential), I've owned half a dozen modern nylon tents, from extreme mountaineering tents to campsite behemoths and none of them have required any wetting cycles before performing, all have been completely waterproof from the outset.
Absolutely correct there, I bought my awning at the same time as the van. The awning is completely waterproof unlike the van.

Will be interesting to see the date on the label. If the dealer has stock of them can you ask them to check the label?
Sorry but I've been a real pain in the arse over this issue and I've now been getting regular updates from the dealer and Adrian which I believe indicates they are totally on top of this, finally.

You could ask your dealer because as far as I know, the dealers can now only order this new product code and not the old one.

Sorry but I've been a real pain in the arse over this issue and I've now been getting regular updates from the dealer and Adrian which I believe indicates they are totally on top of this, finally.

You could ask your dealer because as far as I know, the dealers can now only order this new product code and not the old one.
I currently have a new build on order. I was more asking for others.

The pop top would have been fitted this week so I just hope new builds are getting the latest version and aren’t working their way through old stock.

Still a bit nervous for when we take delivery.

I would suggest the evidence is building that the pre 09/11 bellows are different to those after that date (and/or those with the new part number, which I believe to have been issued sometime in mid-January), certainly judging by the multiple examples here now of them leaking.

I understand Adrian's frustration, but his level is still second to that of the owners!

I currently have a new build on order. I was more asking for others.

The pop top would have been fitted this week so I just hope new builds are getting the latest version and aren’t working their way through old stock.

Still a bit nervous for when we take delivery.
I’m in the same position having returned my Ocean to the dealer in Sep last year. I immediately ordered a new Ocean which was scheduled for 03 week build (mid Jan 24). It’s now sat in a UK port and will soon be with the dealer for my collection on 1st March. I am still not confident that my bellow’s will be dated 091123 or later?
Has anyone recently taken delivery of a new Ocean as I would be curious to know what date is showing on the bellows.

I’m in the same position having returned my Ocean to the dealer in Sep last year. I immediately ordered a new Ocean which was scheduled for 03 week build (mid Jan 24). It’s now sat in a UK port and will soon be with the dealer for my collection on 1st March. I am still not confident that my bellow’s will be dated 091123 or later?
Has anyone recently taken delivery of a new Ocean as I would be curious to know what date is showing on the bellows.
Someone has if you go back a few pages I’m sure they said they have the new bellows.

I might be wrong though.

Took delivery of ours on 6 January Build Week49 and ours are 04S manufactured on 15 November 2023.

Took delivery of ours on 6 January Build Week49 and ours are 04S manufactured on 15 November 2023.
Thanks, that gives me much more confidence.
We can’t wait to collect our California after the disappointment with the previous leaking bellow. Breeze Poole have been excellent in taking back our previous California (without question), they were fully supportive and we are so pleased that we purchased through them.

Thanks, that gives me much more confidence.
We can’t wait to collect our California after the disappointment with the previous leaking bellow. Breeze Poole have been excellent in taking back our previous California (without question), they were fully supportive and we are so pleased that we purchased through them.
Did they just replace the bellows and put it back up for sale?

Back