Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Was there water pooling outside around the base of the bellows, it could be your front roof drains blocked.
Interesting!... so where are the drain holes? The left side certainly has a puddle of water. See beow.

IMG_8171 drainholes.jpg

Interesting!... so where are the drain holes? The left side certainly has a puddle of water. See beow.

View attachment 129748
You need to remove the black plastic cover - it just lifts off - and you should be able to see the drain hole under the wiring loom going in the front cowling - pretty much where the lower red arrow points to.
Sure looks like it’s not draining.

View attachment 129748
Before you start poking around, search on here what to do. Basically, when you have the cover off, don't poke anything down the hole, you will probably disconnect the pipe and your in a whole heap off a mess then. You should try with a syringe of water and a small piece of rubber hose once you clean any crap away from the hole.

Last edited:
Before you start poking around, search on here what to do. Basically, when you have the cover off, don't poke anything down the hole, you will probably disconnect the pipe and your in a whole heap off a mess then. You should try with a syringe of water and a small piece of rubber hose once you clean any crap away from the hole.
Thanks. Im not gonna touch it. New bellows are due, so I will have the dealer look at it when its in.

Surely I am not expected to do this as routine maintenance?

Thanks. Im not gonna touch it. New bellows are due, so I will have the dealer look at it when its in.

Surely I am not expected to do this as routine maintenance?
I would say it's your problem to clean out periodically. If you park in a forest and it gets filled with debris, it's your fault not VW. Saying that, it's easy to clean once you know how to. There loads of posts on here covering how to do it and clearing the bottom end of the drain.

I would say it's your problem to clean out periodically. If you park in a forest and it gets filled with debris, it's your fault not VW. Saying that, it's easy to clean once you know how to. There loads of posts on here covering how to do it and clearing the bottom end of the drain.
okay,. I'll check them out thanks.

Assuming the bottom end of the drain is accessible and is a pipe end and the whole pipe run is push-fit, I wonder if some sort of suction might be better from the bottom (this would hold all the connections together), with a pool of water at the top to act as a flushing agent? A syringe sounds obvious but in reality it would need to be pretty decent in size to draw through any measurable amount of water.

Assuming the bottom end of the drain is accessible and is a pipe end and the whole pipe run is push-fit, I wonder if some sort of suction might be better from the bottom (this would hold all the connections together), with a pool of water at the top to act as a flushing agent? A syringe sounds obvious but in reality it would need to be pretty decent in size to draw through any measurable amount of water.
I used a syringe at the top and followed the sound advise of 'suck dont blow'. It's now gargling nicely.

I cut off the closing flaps on the end bongs.
They are located behind the black metal covers under the front windscreen.
Those are held with 2x torx 30 screws.
The end openings are now completely free, making the water drain directly. Only when there is a lot of tree debris, the very small drain holes get clogged up, but after a few syringe squirts, the water flows again.

Sorry to report 05S leaks in somewhat challenging weather (albeit quite typical in the UK).

Worse, it leaked from most of the front seams in the driving rain.

Anyone experienced leaks bubbling up from the rubber gaiter around the base?
Yes my 03S ones leaked here. Everyone seems preoccupied with the seams leaking, but we have leaks at the base too where the rubber is stitched on. Don’t see that remedied on the 06S but sounds like for most it’s not an issue.

Our O5S let the water pour in from UNDER the rubber seal at the base of the bellows. This happened during a heavy downpour. The drain holes were not blocked, i suspect they just can't cope with heavy downpours. We took a video and sent it to VW. They told us to get it tested by a VW dealer, which we did last week. They replaced with O6S bellows with nice new clear seals on the corners and it doesn't look as if it's pulling the rubber up as much as was happening with the O5's. Hopefully now water tight.
To my mind the drain holes being too small to cope is the problem, but l don't recall this under-seal leaking being reported previously. Does anyone else?

View attachment 129745
Yes it’s been reported before. Everyone seems to have forgotten about that but though, probably because the seam leakage is worse, and you would discount water at the base as just coming from the seams if your seams leak.

Yes it’s been reported before. Everyone seems to have forgotten about that but though, probably because the seam leakage is worse, and you would discount water at the base as just coming from the seams if your seams leak.
In fact, here’s a video of mine I shared over a year ago showing the rubber seam at the base leaking.

I do, as do others on the forum. Dead simple, to do.

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09NZW6...AVD0HHJCENFWGPA25&starsLeft=1&skipTwisterOG=1

I use a mix of detergent and water and empty and dry the oil can between use as it is not really designed for this use and the internal springs will rust if left wet.
I am embarrassed to admit that my repurposed drain clearer has (today, I find) seized up with rust, so I apologise if others have the same problem off my suggestion.

I took the tube and spout off the defunct unit and added it to a small Otex pump (from chemist) to make this as an alternative although I suspect that the syringe below from Amazon suggested by others may be a better alternative so I have ordered one of those too:

roof drain pump.jpeg

MY24, built Feb 24, was fitted with 04S bellows which leaked under quite mild conditions from the bottom seal. I took photos and sent them with comments to my dealer.
They took their own photos of the test/s they did and agreed to my warranty claim.
The new bellows (06S) were fitted this week with the front "A" pillars drains being cleared at the same time. They now make a satisfying guggling sound as they do their work of draining!
The use of adhesive and sealant is, I believe, applied at the corners to prevent the bellows pulling away (front and rear) and becoming detached in hot, direct sunshine. As for the drainage capacity at the front do not forget the "V" which drains down the outside of the "A" pillar. The flow would be left to right / down as seen in photo. Also there should be no water pooling. Its a clear indication that you have a blocked "A" pillar drain. Hope this is useful.
1728565643476.png

Last edited:
Tested the replacement 06S bellows in driving rain on Wednesday, 40mph winds and it was chucking it down. Tried the van in various angles and please to say there were no leaks, so it look like it's worked

I have notice the new bellows always need tucking inside to avoid being pinched when bringing the roof down, the 05S never needed any manual intervention but I can live with that

My new Ocean 6.1 (bought in May 24) leaked really badly last weekend (albeit in pretty awful wind and rain all night).
Bought some aquatex today as I’m wary of a) how effective any replacement bellows will be and b) the faff of taking back to VW to replace?!
Am I wrong?
PS don’t have label to confirm what version of the bellows I have.

My new Ocean 6.1 (bought in May 24) leaked really badly last weekend (albeit in pretty awful wind and rain all night).
Bought some aquatex today as I’m wary of a) how effective any replacement bellows will be and b) the faff of taking back to VW to replace?!
Am I wrong?
I think you’re putting a lot of faith in aquatex there to be honest, by the sounds of it you have pre 05s bellows, the aquatex route seems to be advised on minimally leaking bellows which by all accounts would be 05s onwards. Hope this helps

I think you’re putting a lot of faith in aquatex there to be honest, by the sounds of it you have pre 05s bellows, the aquatex route seems to be advised on minimally leaking bellows which by all accounts would be 05s onwards. Hope this helps
It does thanks. Leaks were on prevailing wind side (other side was completely dry) with significant pooling of water at the front where the light switch and 12v socket are, so no doubt if the wind had been coming from the opposite direction may well have had the same issue there? I’m assuming from your comments my experience would not be described as “minimally leaking”?
I think I’ll give the dealership a call to see what they say first before applying the aquatex.

Am I wrong?
The bellows version is also printed on the label that hides inside the top of the reinforcement batten sleeve above the driver's side B pillar. Easier to get at it by just partially elevating the roof.

The bellows version is also printed on the label that hides inside the top of the reinforcement batten sleeve above the driver's side B pillar. Easier to get at it by just partially elevating the roof.
Ah, good to know, thanks that’s really helpful. Will check that out.
Cheers.
PS nice van btw

After a year of thinking my 03S bellows didn’t leak I experienced the right type of rain in Cornwall in early September. It took a day of constant rain but eventually the drips started where the others have experienced them. Booked it in to JCT Hull for an inspection on Monday… got a call in the afternoon to confirm the fault and that 6S bellows would arrive and be fitted first thing the following morning. I picked up the van the following morning to give the glue time to set. It could not have been an easier experience so hopefully VW are getting their act together on this issue (or I have been lucky). So a big thank you for all the early warriors on this thread and if you haven’t raised the issue yet on your van hopefully my experience gives you some reassurance that it is painless….will now spend the weekend in the lakes to give the new bellows a good test.

Back