Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED Headlights?

Transporter HQ are selling a plug and play replacement unit form£450.00 https://transporterhq.co.uk/product/vw-t6-led-headlights-pre-order/

I’ve order a set for our Cali as it’s the one thing I wish the van has

Nowadays I think all new cars/ vans should be coming with LED lights as standard

I am not sure I would like to fit something like this until my warranty has expired, also why does it say they include LED DRLs and bright white bulbs? So the actual headlight part is still a bulb?

Currently that would be extremely expensive as not only headlights would be required + £600 each it also needs self levelling sensor on front anti-roll bar plus headlight wash system. After that the canbus system needs to be updated.

I've been following LED bulb development and there are replacement LED bulbs coming onto the market (fully developed ones which will have cheap clones following) for H4 & H7 as used on Beaches and Oceans. Technically LED headlights must have self levelling plus washers.
I don't think I'll be a test case guinea-pig.
Levellers and washers according to the MOT inspection manual "may be fitted", if fitted, they should work. It would seem they aren't compulsory.

image.png

i have gone from bi-xenon to LED on Albert 2.

I really do like to see what I am hitting ☹️

Me too ! Out of interest do you think there is any difference between Xenon and LED ?

I see that you have gone LED but my findings on Ocean are that after having a BMW with active Bi-Zenon lights the Cali was poor especially on dip.
I put Phillips Racing 150% bulbs in and a definite improvement.
What I now find is that the headlights have a very acute cut off in dip, good lighting up close but no light in front of that., even cats eyes give no reflection. More of a problem when Continental driving.

I couldn't justify the LED price at the time but now would make a few more moths homeless and empty my wallet.

I did similar and fitted some Philips as they were on an offer from euro Parts at the time. Slightly improved the stock lights.
Had such a good offer not been available at the time then I would have stuck with the originals as I thought more than adequate and certainly better than my BMW series 1 (that too has now a new set of H7)

Me too ! Out of interest do you think there is any difference between Xenon and LED ?

After an hour of driving over unlit Chiltern roads last night I can say not a lot! Both work very well. As it was around rush hour I also had a lot of oncoming traffic and was not flashed once.

+1 for LEDs, wouldn’t be without them.

They are twice as bright as the xenons on my Audi. Wouldn’t be without them (especially now Vw have fixed the beam angle) :)

Really pleased with my LEDs they look cool and they are very bright :thumb

I don't have LED's on my Cali Ocean, but wondering if anyone know's if it can be added as an after sale upgrade?
Yes Vw will fit them and set them up for you but it won’t be cheap :confused:
Although I’m unsure if the washers in the front bumper have to be added. Hmmm

It is the problem with this sort of question. Is EXPENSIVE Option A better than CHEAPER Option B?

No one who has spent an extra £1,500 on LED lights is ever going to say they are not worth the extra money. Yes, they might be brighter and Yes they might look cool BUT are they £1,500 brighter or £1,500 cooler than the standard headlights with quality bulbs?

I have driven many, many miles at night and have never felt the need to change/complain about my standard H7 headlights. I have no comment about the H4 headlights on the Beach as I have never driven with them, but I see plenty of commercial vans with those lights and those drivers don't seem to be bothered and are certainly not driving behind a man with a torch.

Transporter HQ are selling a plug and play replacement unit form£450.00 https://transporterhq.co.uk/product/vw-t6-led-headlights-pre-order/

I’ve order a set for our Cali as it’s the one thing I wish the van has

Nowadays I think all new cars/ vans should be coming with LED lights as standard
I hope you understand these are Standard Halogen Headlights using H7 and H1 bulbs but with a built in LED DRL light source - So NOT the same as the LED Headlights.

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 13.33.41.jpg

I found H4s on my Cali Beach to be woeful so upgraded to some Phillips brighter bulbs - marginal improvement. Bought some aftermarket led's. Lighting now is superb - will dig out details and post if anyone is interested.

I found H4s on my Cali Beach to be woeful so upgraded to some Phillips brighter bulbs - marginal improvement. Bought some aftermarket led's. Lighting now is superb - will dig out details and post if anyone is interested.

please do so, i'll be sitting down in readiness for the cost.

You can use somebody like autobulbs and upgrade the bulbs.

Also if it's not the daily driver I don't see the point due to the cost and it's the equivalent of over two years running costs....

I am not sure I would like to fit something like this until my warranty has expired, also why does it say they include LED DRLs and bright white bulbs? So the actual headlight part is still a bulb?
I got caught out when I ordered my T6 as it said 'seperate DRL's' which i mistakenly thought meant LED ones, got ones that are part of the headlight with a tungten 21watt bulb, same as normal indicator/brake light bulb rating.

Last edited:
I've driven them all; with both standard and aftermarket bulbs [with the exception of the LEDs].

H4s are basically awful. There's lots of commentary on the other VW forums and threats of class action :). They can be improved with aftermarket bulbs but it's still like looking in to the murk with a tilley lamp.
H7s are better, but still not great. After market bulbs again improve the experience.

That said, I drive my H4 Beach with upgraded bulbs and you do get used to it. A week away in the far NW of Scotland was OK. However, I step in to another car which has LED's and it's a completely different experience. They really do light the road and a considerable way ahead.

Bottom line is Beach owners would be crazy not to tick the exterior pack option.
Ocean and SE owners you pay your money and take your choice.
With hindsight I definitely wish I had LEDs and that I knew the Beach came with H4s (I wrongly assumed they were the same as the H7s on my old Caravelle) !

I had no choice with either of my vehicles. They were both pre-reg. and both had Xenons and then LED's.

My own personal choice is the brightest possible without being a pest to everyone else on the road and I will be honest if the vehicles did not come with that then I probably would not have bought them. I still have less than fond memories of being driven home a few years ago in someone's pride and joy jaguar and hitting a stag lying dead in the road.

We both agreed it was all but invisible until too late but I am sure that the whiter light of Xenon's would have picked it up much earlier. The damage to the jag, which was extensive, was immaterial to the "what might have been" to driver and passenger.

My personal choice, I am not happy driving in the dark at the best of times and anything that ameliorates my nervousness and makes me feel more in control I also feel gives me more control. Yes, they are ridiculously expensive but when I've invested £60k in a vehicle adding a bit over 2% to the bill and giving me peace of mind for the many hours I spend driving around in the dark it is worth it.

Last edited:
if people think the LED's are expensive why don't they make their own and save a few quid ?

Or just get a set of these.
9DED57EB-4CB0-480F-ADC3-495629C9D8C4.jpeg

As I said, I cannot comment on the Beach headlights as I have never driven one and my observations regarding the commercial vans, was just that, an observation not a comment.

Please, how does one 'observe' that commercial drivers aren't 'bothered' with their lights? By not seeing them crash?

Didn't take me long with a quick Google to find some FACTS that I know you like. I shall pre-empt your rebuttal that a few people moaning on a forum doesn't count for squat.

Given you know the H4 Beach lights are the same as fitted in the commercial platform can you not appreciate that your comments could read that you are being just a little dismissive of Beach owners concerns?

As I said, I cannot comment on the Beach headlights as I have never driven one and my observations regarding the commercial vans, was just that, an observation not a comment.
Oh WelshGas you are funny :)

Yes Vw will fit them and set them up for you but it won’t be cheap :confused:
Although I’m unsure if the washers in the front bumper have to be added. Hmmm
I don't believe VW will upgrade them but HazzyDayz will for the bargain price of around £3500!