Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED Headlights?

Hi,

I know the OP is about an Ocean but i just wanted to ask more about the beach as this has been mentioned in a few posts. So, it seems the beach has poorer headlights as standard than the ocean but by adding exterior pack they become equal (?).

Can I ask opinion about the exterior pack option..... am I correct this package is added halagen lights so brighter? It also states on the online VW build your own page it includes "black exterior mirror housing and door handles in body colour". Does this mean standard mirrors and door handles are not body coloured? if this is the case I think I need to add exterior pack option to my order. Thanks for any advice
It's a strange one. Standard door handles are body coloured so nothing changes there. But by selecting exterior pack, the standard body coloured mirrors get changed to matt black ones! Who knows why :)

And why are H7s hidden inside "exterior pack"? On the Transporter they are inside "light and vision plus" which makes a lot more sense. Anyway...

Please, how does one 'observe' that commercial drivers aren't 'bothered' with their lights? By not seeing them crash?

Didn't take me long with a quick Google to find some FACTS that I know you like. I shall pre-empt your rebuttal that a few people moaning on a forum doesn't count for squat.

Given you know the H4 Beach lights are the same as fitted in the commercial platform can you not appreciate that your comments could read that you are being just a little dismissive of Beach owners concerns?
I’m just stating my observations. I cannot comment about the Beach, that’s upto Beach Owners. I can only comment about the commercial vans around here that I see at night with standard H4 lights.
Obviously you have a grater knowledge so I will bow to your obviously greater intellect in this matter.

as we talk about this Philips are already looking at manufacturing LED upgrades for current cars etc, this news from Autocar. It does however mean a change in the current laws regarding LED headlights. there are a number of ways of improving the standard lighting, better bulbs are available, and I remember many years back when I ran a disco mk1 that a good fix for poor lighting was to input a servo into the wiring from the light switch and hard wire the main bean dirrect to the battery as the discos headlights ran off nothing more then 2 thin copper wires so next to know current, this was a massive improvement. my understanding that the lights on the VW also run at a poor power output at the headlights, so an improvement can be made here if its not a warranty issue. adding LED spots which fit between the grill slats is one thing I have seen in Germany. the spots came on with main beam and did not effect the air flow or the lines of the van.
so its not all bad news, and improvements can be made if need be, but don't be fooled into buying a LED upgrafe kit just yet as its illegal, and they are not very good. F

Levellers and washers according to the MOT inspection manual "may be fitted", if fitted, they should work. It would seem they aren't compulsory.

View attachment 27720

I believe I'm right in saying that just because the MOT rules say 'where fitted', that doesn't mean that they are not compulsory on some vehicles.

To check when and where they are compulsory you'd need to look at the Construction & Use regs.

I believe I'm right in saying that just because the MOT rules say 'where fitted', that doesn't mean that they are not compulsory on some vehicles.

To check when and where they are compulsory you'd need to look at the Construction & Use regs.
Completely agree, which is why I referred to legal requirements earlier. I did some digging/research into this some months back and got into a quagmire of EEC legislation and specifications. Bureaucratic nightmare.

Amazing anything ever gets passed, with all the cross referencing going on. Job creation?

I thought all Xenons had to have washers but Apparently within the current regulations it states that the washers & even the automatic self levelling are are only required on lamps brighter than 2000 lumen.

A normal halogen bulb is about 1400 lumen & an old style xenon i.e. T5.1 is about 3500 lumen. Ive picked it up from some new car info where they offer different xenon & LED headlamp options. Its only with the introduction of lower power xenons being fitted to fairly low spec cars that the savings are being made.

Just a thought. It's my understanding the light bulbs are not covered by warranty. Is this also true of LED lamps?

Just a thought. It's my understanding the light bulbs are not covered by warranty. Is this also true of LED lamps?

Although not a direct answer, I had a 2003 Golf GT-TDI which I had with factory xenon/HID lights and they WERE covered, bulbs, ballasts etc. I suspect because of the nature of LEDs (ie difficult to replace, complex with heatsinks etc) they will be covered too.

Would be classed as a consumable item and not warranted although a failure in a few weeks would be good reason to make a claim, even if only a % discount given on the eye watering cost.

What information have T6 owners been given regarding complying with the requirements in many European countries that a Spare Bulb Set is required to be carried?

None and not possible with LED rear lights.

I carry an assortment of bulbs that I hope will get me through if asked to show them.

Pretty well impossible to change any bulbs at the roadside.

what a rip off. my bulbs work fine. lots of threads about dazzling people here. why do people need a football stadium on their bonnet these days

None and not possible with LED rear lights.

I carry an assortment of bulbs that I hope will get me through if asked to show them.

Pretty well impossible to change any bulbs at the roadside.

Only brake and side lights LED. Indicators are bulbs

Only brake and side lights LED. Indicators are bulbs

These are the details I have for front and rear lights.

I carry the spares I can change and the pictures on my phone to show why.
632949f07de3e2266fe82804a223b143.jpg

c2314ccb8761eaa97bb4dd994856695c.jpg

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not often I need to drive the Cali in the dark but pootled off to work this morning pitch black and had no issues with the standard headlights, mainly unlit country roads. I have upgraded the lamps to Osram Nightbreaker or Philips Xtreme vision lamps (can't remember which one) which made a difference but very happy with them. I like the look of the LED units but £1500 is steep, other options would be higher up my list, depends on your purse.

What information have T6 owners been given regarding complying with the requirements in many European countries that a Spare Bulb Set is required to be carried?
I carry this set, EU EUROPEAN BULB KIT CAR H1 H4 H7 for VW TRANSPOTER T6, £5.99. If the policeman knows that the van has LEDs he will also know they are not user replaceable.

what a rip off. my bulbs work fine. lots of threads about dazzling people here. why do people need a football stadium on their bonnet these days
Must admit that I'd like the LED lights but to be honest there is an element of bling and ego boosting attached to the desire.

If at least 30% cheaper then they'd have been on the tick list, did expect active ones for £1500.

I have a 2018 Ocean that runs on H7 halogens, most of my night driving is done on unlit roads with no cats eyes. I find them perfectly adequate for use at reasonable night time speeds. The option cost for LED's was just too high at over 1600 euros. LED replacement bulbs are already starting to appear on the retrofit market, so within a couple of years or so, I reckon I can have pretty much the same thing (bling) for a fraction of the original option cost.

car manufactures have all found ways to screw more money from buyers. they offer a sub standard base unit as the starting point and any improvements come in at a sky high price. we only got air/con as standard due to the fact it was cheaper to put in all cars and not as an add on ( now they charge extra for the control system) in car sat-nav is a big rip off and after 3 years you need to pay for map updates, yet go to any Halfords and you can pick up a good system with free maps. BMW have been selling cars with below par headlights for years, and upgrades cost a packet. VW are much the same.
as to LED kits, yes there are a few around, but from talking to people a lot of kits ( all of which are illegal in the UK) not only play up with the vans cambus system but mainly give out a sort of flicking light. as I stated before Philips are trying to change the law and then sell LED upgrades, but if they ever will who knows. In the mean time how much time do you drive around on full beam ??. on a drive from Bristol to somerset around 47 miles at night I think I spend most of the time on dipped beam due to incoming traffic. I did see two cars with very unaligned LED headlights which apart from blinding me and lighting up the sky did nothing to improve their safety at all. at the moment I think that LED headlights for the most part are unneeded, maybe nice for the driver, but god awful for any on coming traffic, F

car manufactures have all found ways to screw more money from buyers. they offer a sub standard base unit as the starting point and any improvements come in at a sky high price. we only got air/con as standard due to the fact it was cheaper to put in all cars and not as an add on ( now they charge extra for the control system) in car sat-nav is a big rip off and after 3 years you need to pay for map updates, yet go to any Halfords and you can pick up a good system with free maps. BMW have been selling cars with below par headlights for years, and upgrades cost a packet. VW are much the same.
as to LED kits, yes there are a few around, but from talking to people a lot of kits ( all of which are illegal in the UK) not only play up with the vans cambus system but mainly give out a sort of flicking light. as I stated before Philips are trying to change the law and then sell LED upgrades, but if they ever will who knows. In the mean time how much time do you drive around on full beam ??. on a drive from Bristol to somerset around 47 miles at night I think I spend most of the time on dipped beam due to incoming traffic. I did see two cars with very unaligned LED headlights which apart from blinding me and lighting up the sky did nothing to improve their safety at all. at the moment I think that LED headlights for the most part are unneeded, maybe nice for the driver, but god awful for any on coming traffic, F
LED is the future - surprised its taken so long to get retro-fit bulbs onto the market - cant wait to upgrade mine when they are legal and cheap as stone chips - reckon within 12 months is my guess.

im tempted to fit the non-legal phillips units to light up the sky and annoy people - but £ 170.00 is probably a bit rich at the mo

LED is the future???????? god I hope not, with at the moment 38 million cars in the UK we will all be blind within the year.as to the £170 pounds for the Philips, that will be nothing to the fine you get from the police and then the jacked up insurance. F