Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking for our 3rd California

A

Angela

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Looking to replace our 2018 t6 cali for a 6.1 2020 or newer.

Our last two vans have been manual gearbox. Haven’t seen any manuals for sale. Is the 6.1 only available in DSG ?

Our last two vans have been manual gearbox. Haven’t seen any manuals for sale. Is the 6.1 only available in DSG ?
I believe so.

Why would you want/need a 5 speed manual? I think it is getting harder to find new cars and some vans in anything but auto. It's like they don't want to give us a choice.

Why would you want/need a 5 speed manual? I think it is getting harder to find new cars and some vans in anything but auto. It's like they don't want to give us a choice.
It’s all down to Emission Standards. They can be better controlled with an automatic gearbox.

If you want a UK 6.1 Cali it's DSG. The DSG is really nice especially on the highway but like most of these things very average on tricky terrain. It does have manual mode which is effective in some conditions.

Why would you want/need a 5 speed manual?
You don’t get a choice, lowest powered transporters come only with 5 speed manual. My mate has one complete with a 75mph speed limiter, it’s as different from a 204 Cali as a vw beetle is from a porsche 911

Each to their own but I’ve had automatics for thirty years and I’ve never missed having to change gears myself. I’ve always wondered why others are so keen to change their own gears all the time, is this a macho, man over machine thing, I don’t know.
The DSG works wonderfully, I can fully recommend it. It has a manual setting but why anyone thinks they are better at gear changing than a computer is beyond me.

Last edited:
The DSG works wonderfully, I can fully recommend it. It has a manual setting but why anyone thinks they are better at gear changing than a computer is beyond me.
My DSG works well when on the move, but can give some hair raising moments when making a hurried standing start. And don't get me started about going uphill backwards. I know there are "remedies" but why are they neccessary?
Sorry. I'll post my own "off topic" coment.

My DSG works well when on the move, but can give some hair raising moments when making a hurried standing start. And don't get me started about going uphill backwards. I know there are "remedies" but why are they neccessary?
Sorry. I'll post my own "off topic" coment.
I wanted a manual, then there were none to be had so ended up with the dsg, my first auto, its good in general as its relaxing which goes with the vibe of the vehicle.
After initial while spinning on taker off's I got to grips with the gearbox, it just needs time to take up drive ( feel it pulling ) then its fine.
Dsg and Acc are a good match for taking the strain out of the variable speed traffic situations.

If you want your DSG improved you could always get it remapped:

If you want your DSG improved you could always get it remapped:

Does this increase fuel consumption? Presumably that is why the box seeks the highest gear, to reduce emissions by reducing fuel consumption?

Interesting read.

Attachments

• DSG.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 51
Does this increase fuel consumption? Presumably that is why the box seeks the highest gear, to reduce emissions by reducing fuel consumption?
Possibly. I think VW tweak the DSG gearbox to meet emissions targets. If you want the DSG gearbox perform as it was originally designed then its worth considering a remap. If you are happy with the way the Cali currently performs, then just leave it as it is.

I wanted a manual, then there were none to be had so ended up with the dsg, my first auto, its good in general as its relaxing which goes with the vibe of the vehicle.
After initial while spinning on taker off's I got to grips with the gearbox, it just needs time to take up drive ( feel it pulling ) then its fine.
Dsg and Acc are a good match for taking the strain out of the variable speed traffic situations.
Agreed. DSG and ACC make those autoroutes fly by.

I bought mine in 2009, it’s a 130 which 97000 miles later has proved to be plenty.
I just looked at the brochure, at the time the Auto was only available on the 174 which was an extra £3100. I have been happily changing gear myself ever since…oh and the list price was £36650, How times have changed…I should have bought 2!!

Last edited:
Back