Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress replacement or topper?

Larkrise

Larkrise

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I am wondering if the various mattress toppers (lower bed) are designed to go on top of the comfort mattress, or if they dispense with that and work with the folded down seat only? (Just thinking about saving space (but not at the expense of being comfortable!) (I'm sure this is answered elsewhere, but couldn't spot it). Chris

Hello :thumb

Our mattress toppers can be used either on the standard bed or on top of the comfort mattress.
That said, I think (and maybe wrong) if you removed the comfort mattress you'd have nothing left at all on the parcel shelf board so you'd need a replacement for the standard piece of mattress on there, which we can supply if needs be - all food for thought! :thumb

Cheers
Nick

I think you are incorrect Nick, unless they have changed things, you get a cushion/matress on the rear parcel shelf & any topper / comfort mattress should go on top of that.
At least that is my understanding, & I stand to be corrected as VW are doing some strange stuff nowadays with the packs !!

Out of interest the mattress on the rear parcel shelf is about 1 cm lower than the seat back when in the bed position, so quite a thick topper is required to over come this.

Hi Andy - I wasn't 100% sure but which mattress is the one that's 4" thick on the very back - with two more 2" section that pull forward? Brandrup?
I may have dreamt it :laugh2 but a coulple of people have sent me photo's to make covers for what i thought was the comfort mattress and parcel shelf part looked 4" thick!

You are right, Nick, you have not dreamt it. The 'comfort mattress' that is made by VW can be added separately when ordering your Cali these days (or comes with the comfort pack option, which is what we chose). It is definitely the very thick back section sitting on the shelf with two zipped on attachment sections which are folded when stored but extend over the folded down seats for sleep time. The zipped extension section can't just be removed and be replaced with a standard full length memory foam mattress as the parcel shelf section would sit proud of the folded down seat base.

Having slept on ours for the first time last weekend ( in our driveway in our 3 week old Cali :D ) I definitely wondered how it could be called 'comfort mattress' - ok, maybe better than sleeping on just the folded down seats, but pretty firm..... If you wanted to put a topper on top of this you you would have to replace the whole thing including the parcel shelf section - or you could see if a Nick could make a topper that fitted all the way over the comfort mattress - but in that case your boot would be completely full before even packing any luggage.... :shocked

Tricky one... but hope this confirms the queries at least! I have taken lots of pics of our comfort mattress and sent them to the people who make the inka car seat covers as I want a waterproof cover for ours. Can send pics to anyone else interested. :thumb

We had a two week hire trial with the comfort mattress and found it reasonably ok; it does however take up quite a bit of room when folded away which is why I was wondering if the other options replaced it or not (& would therefore save space)...but we would not want to wind up with anything less comfortable.

Hi I don't think the other options can strictly replace the VW comfort mattress because they are designed to sit as a full layer of the whole bed on a flush surface, I.e on top of the 'standard' parcel shelf section which is flush with the folded down seats. With the comfort mattress this is not the case as the parcel shelf section is thicker and higher than the folded down seats, so that when the two section extension piece is folded down over the seats you end up with a flush overall finish. Therefore it is not really possible to replace the comfort mattress unless someone makes you a new parcel shelf section too... but you would still not end up saving space as the whole thing needs to be designed to have the thickness to provide an extra layer over the folded down seats to achieve the extra comfort.

So whilst there are probably differences to be had with the level of comfort that can be achieved depending on what material is used for the extra layer I don't think it is possible to save space. I do hope we will get used to our comfort mattress once we have had more sleeps on it... If you are happy with the comfort of it then I think it will be difficult to improve on what you have.

Hope that helps and makes sense!

Thanks Oxcal, all makes sense....we'll see how we get on...not even ordered the vehicle yet! Chris

You are welcome and good luck, we have only had ours for three weeks and love it! Lots to think about at ordering stage but we too found the forum really really helpful :cool

Back