Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress toppers for downstairs bed

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Freezeproshop.com currently have it on sale as well as additional discount for purchases over £150. Very tempted!
£20...Or if you sign up for the newsletter you get 10% off first purchase = a few pounds more :)

Aidy P

Aidy P

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Mine arrived today. Took a few hours to regain its shape but the instructions said it would. Daughter and I were tempted to sleep on the floor in her bedroom as it feels very comfortable! I like the fact that it has two zones so that you tweak each side to get a softer or firmer bed. Can’t wait to try it in the van. Should definitely be easier to store than a normal topper too.

B

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Mine arrived today. Took a few hours to regain its shape but the instructions said it would. Daughter and I were tempted to sleep on the floor in her bedroom as it feels very comfortable! I like the fact that it has two zones so that you tweak each side to get a softer or firmer bed. Can’t wait to try it in the van. Should definitely be easier to store than a normal topper too.
Hi Andy P
I've been following this thread with interest as I think this night be a solution to free up space in the van. I've assumed, based on the posts, that the SIM can be used for both beds. Taking into consideration it'll only ever be my wife and I in the van we could leave the SIM up top and remove both of the VW mattresses. We'd then have the option to store a mixture of "stuff" at the back without worrying about damaging the mattress for example and we'd still have the choice where to sleep in the van, assuming the SIM fits up top. In your opinion, or anyone else, is there a fault in my thinking? Thanks

Blueeyedboy

Blueeyedboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
No you could use this in both and free up space. When ours arrived I tried it out a few times on driveway to get the best out of comfort position before going away.
Just go for it if you can find a dealer who has any left I think I started something when adding to post a week or so. Good luck.

B

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Thanks Blueeyedboy, I've just order one from exxpozed.co.uk.

Blueeyedboy

Blueeyedboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Just noticed Vango do an inflatable mattress. A lot less cost not sure how it compares. Can’t put a price on a good night snooze tho.

E732CC28-6BFF-471A-B8E9-89BD14DD968A.png

J

jillyfish

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Beds are pretty personal in terms of preference, so what might work for some, wont suit everyone. We went to Ikea. They have a range of toppers and the staff laid each one out for us to lie on and try. We went for one called Taldje. It has made all the difference to comfort and fits remarkably well. It is soft enough to sit around the bulge light cluster at the back. We loosely roll if from the front when we fold the bed, leaving the the last third in place. It just sits behind the rear seats when they are up. That keeps the hassle to a minimum. Its machine washable and is MUCH cheaper than bespoke items.
which size Taldje mattress did you get ? i have recently got the king size for bed at home and think it might work well on top of the Duvalay 5cm (if we find that not quite enough) and i did consider for Cali when looking in Ikea,however, would the single not be too small, the double too big for the downstairs bed?

Aidy P

Aidy P

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi Andy P
I've been following this thread with interest as I think this night be a solution to free up space in the van. I've assumed, based on the posts, that the SIM can be used for both beds. Taking into consideration it'll only ever be my wife and I in the van we could leave the SIM up top and remove both of the VW mattresses. We'd then have the option to store a mixture of "stuff" at the back without worrying about damaging the mattress for example and we'd still have the choice where to sleep in the van, assuming the SIM fits up top. In your opinion, or anyone else, is there a fault in my thinking? Thanks
It would fit upstairs too. I wouldn’t leave it there with the roof closed. I’ll partially deflate it and leave it folded behind the back seats.

This is the best price I can see it at now online

B

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Thanks Aidy P. I've ordered one although still waiting for a delivery date. My aim was to remove both of the VW mattresses and use the SIM either up top of down below with the Woolroom topper. Therefore we'd have more storage space at the back along with the knowledge that we would still have sleeping options. However.....during a visit to the pub last night my wife mentioned the height difference between the lower bed, bench seat, and the grill (where the current mattress lives) which has blown my plans to pieces. So I'm going to have a look for a solution this morning. Oh well.

Skewif

Skewif

It’s not what you have, it's where you wake up.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
we replaced upstairs vw mattress and downstairs comfort vw matress with 1 sea to summit 4 inch self inflating mattress special for california. Sits under the roof when not in use , takes 2 minutes to push the air out so it shrinks to 2 inches height. We use it when sleeping downstairs and upstairs. After trying toppers and other mattresses we finally are happy with this solution. You make it as hard/soft as you need. Not obvious to find: use "sea to summit comfort deluxe si campervan double" in google to find a shop.
View attachment 50320
Sounds perfect. Can I ask do you have it direct on the rear wire section on the higher setting?

Roger Boeken

Roger Boeken

calisutra
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Sounds perfect. Can I ask do you have it direct on the rear wire section on the higher setting?
Yes, the wire section in the higher position makes a flat surface with the rear seat , we do have however some thin carpet on the wire section.

Roger Boeken

Roger Boeken

calisutra
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
It would fit upstairs too. I wouldn’t leave it there with the roof closed. I’ll partially deflate it and leave it folded behind the back seats.

This is the best price I can see it at now online

I used it this summer in sweden on 18 locations during 22 days, it is sitting deflated under the roof ever since.
highest comfort , frees up space downstairs . After a few times you need only a minute or 2 to deflate (partially).
I bought a electric pump at first to suck the air out but never use it any more , deflating is easily done rolling up once and unroll again.

B

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I used it this summer in sweden on 18 locations during 22 days, it is sitting deflated under the roof ever since.
highest comfort , frees up space downstairs . After a few times you need only a minute or 2 to deflate (partially).
I bought a electric pump at first to suck the air out but never use it any more , deflating is easily done rolling up once and unroll again.
Hi Roger, are you saying that you have removed the both of the VW mattresses and only use the SIM? I.e the SIM sits directly on top of the wooden slates when used up top and when used below it sits on top of the bench and wire shelf? Many thanks

Roger Boeken

Roger Boeken

calisutra
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi Roger, are you saying that you have removed the both of the VW mattresses and only use the SIM? I.e the SIM sits directly on top of the wooden slates when used up top and when used below it sits on top of the bench and wire shelf? Many thanks
Yes indeed exactly as you describe , even the small matress part at the foot end . I am very happy with the weight and space savings and never slept better. If we want to sleep with more than 2 of course I have to reinstall either the matress of the top bed or the comfort matress downstairs. The SIM is 4 inch high when inflated , it is my believe that if you want more comfort you need a matress with more thickness: either a topper on the existing matress or a whole new matress like the SIM. The SIM has the advantage you can choose how hard/soft it must be. Unfortunately you and your partner must choose the same softness/hardness but I couldn't find a pair of SIM that fitted both up and downstairs and are 4inch high. One last point: the SIM is 1 inch narrower than the original upstairs matress but that is not a problem.

B

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Yes indeed exactly as you describe , even the small matress part at the foot end . I am very happy with the weight and space savings and never slept better. If we want to sleep with more than 2 of course I have to reinstall either the matress of the top bed or the comfort matress downstairs. The SIM is 4 inch high when inflated , it is my believe that if you want more comfort you need a matress with more thickness: either a topper on the existing matress or a whole new matress like the SIM. The SIM has the advantage you can choose how hard/soft it must be. Unfortunately you and your partner must choose the same softness/hardness but I couldn't find a pair of SIM that fitted both up and downstairs and are 4inch high. One last point: the SIM is 1 inch narrower than the original upstairs matress but that is not a problem.
Thanks a million Roger, that is exactly what I wanted to read. Take care

B

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
My Sea to Summit SIM arrived this week and whilst I haven't slept on it yet the early signs are really good. I removed the upper VW foam mattress today and replaced it with the SIM, my wife and I jumped up and and gave it a go. It felt great, neither of us could feel the wooden slats and to be honest that is exactly what we were hoping for. I think we might have over inflated it so next time we'll not top it up too much. We plan to put our Woolroom topper on it and are both confident we've got a set up that works for us. Deflating it wasn't an issue and the roof closed without any problems. An additional piece of good news was the hatch closed so easily compared to when the VW mattress was in place. The one thing that we still need determine is will the lack of Velcro in the bottom mean it might move around, I doubt it will. So in summary it's a big thumbs up so far, we intend to have a night away next week and should it cause us any problems I'll post something. The other benefit was i was able to remove both the VW mattresses today and put them in storage.

Our Partners