Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress toppers for downstairs bed

Beds are pretty personal in terms of preference, so what might work for some, wont suit everyone. We went to Ikea. They have a range of toppers and the staff laid each one out for us to lie on and try. We went for one called Taldje. It has made all the difference to comfort and fits remarkably well. It is soft enough to sit around the bulge light cluster at the back. We loosely roll if from the front when we fold the bed, leaving the the last third in place. It just sits behind the rear seats when they are up. That keeps the hassle to a minimum. Its machine washable and is MUCH cheaper than bespoke items.
which size Taldje mattress did you get ? i have recently got the king size for bed at home and think it might work well on top of the Duvalay 5cm (if we find that not quite enough) and i did consider for Cali when looking in Ikea,however, would the single not be too small, the double too big for the downstairs bed?

Hi Andy P
I've been following this thread with interest as I think this night be a solution to free up space in the van. I've assumed, based on the posts, that the SIM can be used for both beds. Taking into consideration it'll only ever be my wife and I in the van we could leave the SIM up top and remove both of the VW mattresses. We'd then have the option to store a mixture of "stuff" at the back without worrying about damaging the mattress for example and we'd still have the choice where to sleep in the van, assuming the SIM fits up top. In your opinion, or anyone else, is there a fault in my thinking? Thanks
It would fit upstairs too. I wouldn’t leave it there with the roof closed. I’ll partially deflate it and leave it folded behind the back seats.

This is the best price I can see it at now online

we replaced upstairs vw mattress and downstairs comfort vw matress with 1 sea to summit 4 inch self inflating mattress special for california. Sits under the roof when not in use , takes 2 minutes to push the air out so it shrinks to 2 inches height. We use it when sleeping downstairs and upstairs. After trying toppers and other mattresses we finally are happy with this solution. You make it as hard/soft as you need. Not obvious to find: use "sea to summit comfort deluxe si campervan double" in google to find a shop.
View attachment 50320
Sounds perfect. Can I ask do you have it direct on the rear wire section on the higher setting?

Sounds perfect. Can I ask do you have it direct on the rear wire section on the higher setting?
Yes, the wire section in the higher position makes a flat surface with the rear seat , we do have however some thin carpet on the wire section.

It would fit upstairs too. I wouldn’t leave it there with the roof closed. I’ll partially deflate it and leave it folded behind the back seats.

This is the best price I can see it at now online

I used it this summer in sweden on 18 locations during 22 days, it is sitting deflated under the roof ever since.
highest comfort , frees up space downstairs . After a few times you need only a minute or 2 to deflate (partially).
I bought a electric pump at first to suck the air out but never use it any more , deflating is easily done rolling up once and unroll again.

Hi Roger, are you saying that you have removed the both of the VW mattresses and only use the SIM? I.e the SIM sits directly on top of the wooden slates when used up top and when used below it sits on top of the bench and wire shelf? Many thanks
Yes indeed exactly as you describe , even the small matress part at the foot end . I am very happy with the weight and space savings and never slept better. If we want to sleep with more than 2 of course I have to reinstall either the matress of the top bed or the comfort matress downstairs. The SIM is 4 inch high when inflated , it is my believe that if you want more comfort you need a matress with more thickness: either a topper on the existing matress or a whole new matress like the SIM. The SIM has the advantage you can choose how hard/soft it must be. Unfortunately you and your partner must choose the same softness/hardness but I couldn't find a pair of SIM that fitted both up and downstairs and are 4inch high. One last point: the SIM is 1 inch narrower than the original upstairs matress but that is not a problem.

??? Ours has two seperate air chambers for each half, so each can choose how hard/soft one’s half should be.
I Will check this again, but I was shure when blowing air in one valve the whole mattres became harder.

I too am very pleased with this mattress. Much more comfortable than the comfort mattress and 30mm memory foam topper I have been using. Weight is 13kg less than before which makes it so easy to pull outside for stargazing etc. Also useful to now have the boot shelf on the higher setting. Did find when the other half moves at night you do feel it more but sure I’ll get used to that. Just need to get into the habit of releasing the valves as saw the warning about leaving it inflated on hot days.

Another fan of the Sea to Summit SIM here! Tried it for the first time this weekend and it was so comfortable. Would have slept like a log had it not been for the wind trying to remove the roof.
I do find that it takes ages to inflate itself fully but a few puffs into the valves does the trick.
So much easier to store than the VW Comfort mattress + topper.
Thanks for the recommendation :thumb

Let us know what it is like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likewise! I’m going to try it out in my home first and foremost. Gotta work out what we’re doing with the current mattresses!!

Just realised on my statement that they have added vat to the £192 price quoted on google. Tut tut.

Just realised on my statement that they have added vat to the £192 price quoted on google. Tut tut.

yeah, it’s not cheap. It was the only place I could find it in stock. Wasn’t bothered about the price really. It’s in the lounge self inflating now...