Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress toppers for downstairs bed

N

Nelly72

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Any recommendations ? - just wondering how comfortable the Duvalay 2.5cm topper is, or any other suggestions?

We have blown the budget. Now have a Brandrup topper on top of another Brandrup topper. A Cali is not cheap, so why penny pinch getting a good nights sleep, which we now get, and like Cali's,. Brandrup gear has good residuals should you want to sell

It’s not cheap and you would think for the price comfortable beds would be standard.our comfort mattress with a topper is nice and comfortable but upstairs isn’t I may need some black out and also a topper for up there...
We never sleep upstairs but really would like to start using the top bed.

It’s not cheap and you would think for the price comfortable beds would be standard.our comfort mattress with a topper is nice and comfortable but upstairs isn’t I may need some black out and also a topper for up there...
We never sleep upstairs but really would like to start using the top bed.
After years sleeping downstairs this summer we spent every night upstairs in France. Brilliant and so much easier not to have to ‘pack away’.

Do you use a topper or just the standard mattress ???
this is what I plan to do now our teenage son doesn’t come with us much

After years sleeping downstairs this summer we spent every night upstairs in France. Brilliant and so much easier not to have to ‘pack away’.

You have joined those of us on the ‘pro ventilation ’ & ‘minimal hassle’ side.

I have slept in my Cali for well in excess of what must be 700 nights and only once have I slept down below, it was stuffy and too much hassle to move everything about.

During one period I slept every night for 15 months while crossing 23 countries, every night ‘up top’

Do you use a topper or just the standard mattress ???
this is what I plan to do now our teenage son doesn’t come with us much
We bought a cheap topper from amazon. I’m sure there are better options out there but I find the price some people pay for ‘extras’ a bit over the top really. We travel really light

Sounds great
I think we will use our standard double topper too and maybe chop it down a bit as I think it’s possible it’s too wide.being too wide downstairs doesn’t really matter but upstairs I think it probably will? With the canvas ect

we replaced upstairs vw mattress and downstairs comfort vw matress with 1 sea to summit 4 inch self inflating mattress special for california. Sits under the roof when not in use , takes 2 minutes to push the air out so it shrinks to 2 inches height. We use it when sleeping downstairs and upstairs. After trying toppers and other mattresses we finally are happy with this solution. You make it as hard/soft as you need. Not obvious to find: use "sea to summit comfort deluxe si campervan double" in google to find a shop.
1568473575880.png

we replaced upstairs vw mattress and downstairs comfort vw matress with 1 sea to summit 4 inch self inflating mattress special for california. Sits under the roof when not in use , takes 2 minutes to push the air out so it shrinks to 2 inches height. We use it when sleeping downstairs and upstairs. After trying toppers and other mattresses we finally are happy with this solution. You make it as hard/soft as you need. Not obvious to find: use "sea to summit comfort deluxe si campervan double" in google to find a shop.
Roger, looks awesome. Do you have a photo of when it is deflated please? Where do you store it? Thanks.

take a look here , and scroll trough all pictures :
I try to take some pictures in our cali with matress stored under the roof .
What you do is , you roll the mat up and unroll it again, the special valve prevents the matress to self inflate again, the volume is only half in height and fits effortless under the roof.

Last edited:
I didn’t know you could buy a Cali specific SIM! :thumb I can definitely recommend one for unbeatable comfort. We have an Exped SIM DUO 7.5 for upstairs and it’s way more comfortable than the Zonesleep topper on top of the standard mattress that we were using before...

I recently posted the following on the T4 section:
We used this all summer and have no complaints, spent our best nights sleep in the van so far...

Beds are pretty personal in terms of preference, so what might work for some, wont suit everyone. We went to Ikea. They have a range of toppers and the staff laid each one out for us to lie on and try. We went for one called Taldje. It has made all the difference to comfort and fits remarkably well. It is soft enough to sit around the bulge light cluster at the back. We loosely roll if from the front when we fold the bed, leaving the the last third in place. It just sits behind the rear seats when they are up. That keeps the hassle to a minimum. Its machine washable and is MUCH cheaper than bespoke items.

Beds are pretty personal in terms of preference, so what might work for some, wont suit everyone. We went to Ikea. They have a range of toppers and the staff laid each one out for us to lie on and try. We went for one called Taldje. It has made all the difference to comfort and fits remarkably well. It is soft enough to sit around the bulge light cluster at the back. We loosely roll if from the front when we fold the bed, leaving the the last third in place. It just sits behind the rear seats when they are up. That keeps the hassle to a minimum. Its machine washable and is MUCH cheaper than bespoke items.
We used a Talgje (£80 for the 150 x 200 cm king) for three months in Scandinavia and the Baltic states. It was fine for short periods but if using it extensively feels harder and more lumpy each night.

Any recommendations ? - just wondering how comfortable the Duvalay 2.5cm topper is, or any other suggestions?

I’m using a mattress topper I got from John Lewis ages ago for a spare bed at home that was too hard. Hardly anyone uses that spare bed so I’ve rolled it up and put it in the Cali.

People have some amazing suggestions on these forums for all kinds of toppers. Some bespoke and especially made. Some from Dunelm. Some cheap. Some very expensive.

Our John Lewis one was £100 I think. It’s lush. Does the trick for now. Good luck

Freezeproshop.com currently have it on sale as well as additional discount for purchases over £150. Very tempted!
£20...Or if you sign up for the newsletter you get 10% off first purchase = a few pounds more :)

On its way@ £202.45 :bananadance2
Mine arrived today. Took a few hours to regain its shape but the instructions said it would. Daughter and I were tempted to sleep on the floor in her bedroom as it feels very comfortable! I like the fact that it has two zones so that you tweak each side to get a softer or firmer bed. Can’t wait to try it in the van. Should definitely be easier to store than a normal topper too.

No you could use this in both and free up space. When ours arrived I tried it out a few times on driveway to get the best out of comfort position before going away.
Just go for it if you can find a dealer who has any left I think I started something when adding to post a week or so. Good luck.

Just noticed Vango do an inflatable mattress. A lot less cost not sure how it compares. Can’t put a price on a good night snooze tho.

E732CC28-6BFF-471A-B8E9-89BD14DD968A.png