Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress toppers for downstairs bed

I'm interested in the Sea To Summit Comfort Deluxe Self Inflating Mat Camper Van, how does it compair to the Duvalay 5 cm memory foam topper for support and firmness

Is the sea to summit better than the matras in the 6.1 ?

I've asked the same. Even though I've now got one, rolled up with bungee cords, and plan to remove the Comfort mattress next time we go away and see how we get along.

I want to know if people also remove the upstairs mattress, too.
Hi Calikate,
Did you find the best storage solution?

I'm interested in the Sea To Summit Comfort Deluxe Self Inflating Mat Camper Van, how does it compair to the Duvalay 5 cm memory foam topper for support and firmness
You van increase firmness of sea to summit if you want to and it is 10cm(4inch).

Well I’ve had a good few days trialing then sea to summit and I must say top marks for overall comfort ! I am delighted with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I’ve had a good few days trialing then sea to summit and I must say top marks for overall comfort ! I am delighted with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Chriskeily, a few questions:
Upstairs or downstairs?
Did you deflate it every day?

We use the sea to summit upstairs, you really need to deflate before you lower the roof but it’s very easy. Absolutely the best quality. Inflate takes a couple of minutes

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

@Vlamos - A few questions on using the S2S upstairs if I may:
  • Do you have to remove the S2S to deflate it enough to close the roof, or can you just open the valve (and roll on it?!)
  • Given the corner cut-out, does it work ok with the valve(s) towards the front of the van to make it easier to inflate?
Thanks.

I’ve never use it upstairs but have read others have. You would need to either remove it or remove vw mattress maybe when closing roof. It’s very easy to get the air out once you know how.

@Vlamos - A few questions on using the S2S upstairs if I may:
  • Do you have to remove the S2S to deflate it enough to close the roof, or can you just open the valve (and roll on it?!)
  • Given the corner cut-out, does it work ok with the valve(s) towards the front of the van to make it easier to inflate?
Thanks.

No need to remove it, just roll and deflate

The valve needs to point to the back otherwise the roof will not close however I’m still experimenting with this

Thanks. I'm considering it as a replacement for the upper mattress (with added advantaged of bring amor to use downstairs when needed), but like not having to mess around with setting it up/deflating each time we raise/lower the roof. Something to think about...cheers :thumb

bring amor??! Should have read "being able"! I need to pay for VIP membership just to correct my clumsy typing!

The S2S sounds great but with 4 of us we need to use both beds and maximise storage. Is it possible to store the deflated S2S on top of the upstairs standard VW mattress and close the roof or is it too thick? Haven’t got space to store another roll of bedding without loosing a kiddy!

Not possible, you need to remove the vw mattress

Can you fit 2 downstairs in a Beach (3 seater) - looks like it’s made for the ocean?

Can you fit 2 downstairs in a Beach (3 seater) - looks like it’s made for the ocean?
You would no doubt have gaps each side. The width of the STS campervan version is 115cm, so it fits between the ocean kitchen doors and the other side. As the beach 3 seater has no kitchen the mattress would be narrower than the space you have. If you fit the cut out corner to the actual van corner all the gap would be on the left side (as you face to the front of the van).

Maybe an ordinary double would be better for you or 2 singles you could clip together.

You really need to know the width of the 3 seater bench seat. In 2014 a post stated it was 150cm (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/3-seat-bench-help-width-measurement.6703/post-58961). I don't know if it's the same these days.

In another post @Borris said that the 3 seater is designed more for comfort when sitting and doesn't lie flat as a bed, like the 2 seaters that are designed flat & more for sleeping (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/from-the-ocean-to-the-beach.23304/post-269754). But a SIM would level that out.

Hope this helps.

I have read several comments on sites selling the S2S mat that it is not easy at all to deflate.

I think it should not be difficult to deflate partially to be able to put in the boot but probably more difficult to deflate completely and put in the bag.

I have read several comments on sites selling the S2S mat that it is not easy at all to deflate.

I think it should not be difficult to deflate partially to be able to put in the boot but probably more difficult to deflate completely and put in the bag.
I agree, like most things that come from factory in a bag difficult or impossible to put it back in original bag. A few straps are a better solution if you want the mattress rolled up in the trunk.
I used an electric pump to suck air out, with valves reversed to allow only air out, a few times . But to be able to store the mattress upstairs under the lowered roof you only need to roll it up, pushing most air out en unroll again. It will fairly easy shrink to 2 inch. This takes not more than max 2 min time.

We have just bought two Duvalay fresh tech 4cm sleeping bags and we use them upstairs and downstairs. They are fantastic. So comfortable. We use them on top of the supplied mattress up top and on top of the VW comfort mattress downstairs. I didn't find the downstairs comfort mattress that great but with the Duvalay on top it's fab! We roll and store them in the bag that came with sleeping bag set. Highly recommended