Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Motor home ban

Enforcement maybe expensive but will happen eventually and guess who will pay. You miss the point that actions happen because of others actions. Leave no trace. Obey rules of conduct. Be discreet and we have nothing to fear. Hope the big whites and hired motorhome users learn. Failure to recognise the potential problem will result in definite controls being introduced!

Enforcement can be £0 cost if the fines are large enough.

In Bristol they have recently issued a formal policy on dealing with van encampments. There is a flow chart and everything. It basically monitors sites for their impact, and if they are low impact, with respect to noise, waste etc, then the official policy is now to leave them alone. If they are a problem then there are all sorts of measures available to them already to resolve the problem, from injunctions to Public Space Protection Orders to enforcement of parking resurrections.
People just move on if they are stopped from camping in a spot. If you are out in the wilds there is nobody around to enforce the rules. Sea side car parks are an easy target and local businesses like campsites strongly object to wild camping near them because they think they are entitled to your business.

To each their own. It is not my style to live ignoring laws.
But i use the Cali for holiday not permanently living. With a small child i love to stay on campsites for safety first, for the child to freely move in a enclosed and fenced area and make friends with the neighbour campers, to enjoy the facility the camping has to offer like multiple swimming pools, play areas, evening entertainment for young and adults, horse/pony riding etc.
I certanly would want my child to play in a parking area between wasts of other people, bio or not. Even less i'd find acceptable for myself to be told to move.

Trust me on this. I'm not one for mincing my words as you all know. I mentioned this and put the photo on a Facebook forum thing and they all bit my head off. So these people clearly think it's OK to do this. The abuse was so bad I had to leave the forum.because I couldn't keep up with it. The excuse is well when you wash your van at home the soap goes down the drain. And your patio and windows. Etc etc. dirty motorhomers

Trust me on this. I'm not one for mincing my words as you all know. I mentioned this and put the photo on a Facebook forum thing and they all bit my head off. So these people clearly think it's OK to do this. The abuse was so bad I had to leave the forum.because I couldn't keep up with it. The excuse is well when you wash your van at home the soap goes down the drain. And your patio and windows. Etc etc. dirty motorhomers
Oh dear. There is no possibility you could be wrong then I suppose?

Tea bags and banana skins are probably the worst, but even a quick decomposing apple core can damage a vulnerable ecosystem, so unless you happen to be passing an orchard, it’s best to take your apple core home for the compost bin.
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Oh dear. There is no possibility you could be wrong then I suppose?

Problem is that it’s not a case of being right or wrong it’s a case of perception.
If it’s perceived, rightly or wrongly, that ditching your grey water is wrong then it will negatively impact on how motor homes are received. Simple.

Mike

Problem is that it’s not a case of being right or wrong it’s a case of perception.
If it’s perceived, rightly or wrongly, that ditching your grey water is wrong then it will negatively impact on how motor homes are received. Simple.

Mike
The perception is mistaken, so let’s share the good news.

We could all be angelic campers and vested interests will still implement these bans. People don’t like perceived free loaders and they don’t like a wall of white vans hogging all the prime parking.

Only the uninformed and the obsessive compulsives seem to really care about a bowl of washing up water in car park.

Having children is far more damaging to the environment. Shall we ban that too?

Simple.

We could all be angelic campers and vested interests will still implement these bans. People don’t like perceived free loaders and they don’t like a wall of white vans hogging all the prime parking.

Only the uninformed and the obsessive compulsives seem to really care about a bowl of washing up water in car park.

Simple.
Unless your child happens to be named Greta Thunberg or David Attenborough

Simple.

I see you are shifting this from dumping grey waste as in @flying banana original post to a bowl of soapy water to justify your position.

Just try considering that others may interpret pools of water underneath a camper van as something other that eco friendly washing up liquid.

Perception !

Good luck

Mike

I see you are shifting this from dumping grey waste as in @flying banana original post to a bowl of soapy water to justify your position.

Just try considering that others may interpret pools of water underneath a camper van as something other that eco friendly washing up liquid.

Perception !

Good luck

Mike

That’s what grey waste is. It’s water from the sink, from washing your face or your plates. No shifting. From my sink it’s eco friendly.

I do understand your point about perception, I just think it’s not significant in triggering these bans. I think most people would realise it’s harmless.

It’s the harmful issues like litter, toilet waste, annoying neighbours, perceived free loading and all the local vested interests which result in bans.

That’s what grey waste is. It’s water from the sink, from washing your face or your plates. No shifting. From my sink it’s eco friendly.

I do understand your point about perception, I just think it’s not significant in triggering these bans. I think most people would realise it’s harmless.

It’s the harmful issues like litter, toilet waste, annoying neighbours, perceived free loading and all the local vested interests which result in bans.
Perceptions are absolutely significant. Facts, biodegradable or otherwise are irrelevant. To the average passerby, discharge from a campervan is offensive. They don’t know whether it comes from the sink or the toilet. They complain and the authorities take action.

Perceptions are absolutely significant. Facts, biodegradable or otherwise are irrelevant. To the average passerby, discharge from a campervan is offensive. They don’t know whether it comes from the sink or the toilet. They complain and the authorities take action.
It’s because the facts are irrelevant that how we behave has no little bearing on wether bans are implemented or not. The motivation for the bans is largely unrelated to how we behave and more closely related to pressure from local commercial business. Harmful actions don’t help, harmless actions don’t harm.

You may be right. Discharge is offensive to local commercial businesses too.

You may be right. Discharge is offensive to local commercial businesses too.
Yes, it’s probably a primary concern of the local campsite that somebody emptied a bowl of washing up water through a pipe into a car park. They are deeply offended and want you to use their drain.

Yes, it’s probably a primary concern of the local campsite that somebody emptied a bowl of washing up water through a pipe into a car park. They are deeply offended and want you to use their drain.
That’s right. They have invested in a proper infrastructure and would like to encourage you to use it. Just as towns and cities invest in sewers so those who live in houses no longer have to empty their waste into the streets.

That’s right. They have invested in a proper infrastructure and would like to encourage you to use it. Just as towns and cities invest in sewers so those who live in houses no longer have to empty their waste into the streets.
Yes, I choose not to support their business. Other options are available.

...and long may those options be available to you. Isn’t that the whole point of this thread?
Yes, and wether or not I empty washing up water into a car park will not affect the outcome.