Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean, Moulding Fault

We also have this fault ( ours looks quite deep so it looks like the fault has worsened as time goes on) , what would be going through the fitters mind at the VW production line thinking that this is OK? This is very very poor on VW's part, however having this replaced could cause yet more problems as mentioned above. Catch 22!
T6 Beach, I agree and certainly could be a dilemma. .... However if VW don't hear about the flaw it will never get fixed. The forum is the only way we have strength in numbers.... So I hope everyone affected logs a complaint with Customer service. .... Not sure what the outcome will be... but then individuals can decide if to take the offer up of replacement if that comes about? ????

Why oh Why does everyone want perfection???? at the age of 70 years, i have been blessed with a beautiful grand daughter, who only has one kidney, not perfect but what should i do?
Get a life and enjoy what is given.

John
John, Congratulations on reaching 70..... sorry about your grand daughter....
But not sure what those things have to do with Industrial Quality Control and customer satisfaction.
Best Wishes
Paul

You could always get it covered with that stretchy grey carpet! :bananadance

Because just accept things as they are, we don't live in a perfect world.

John

Is this a joke?

So John, if you have a decorator come round and wallpaper your lounge and it does not match you pay him in full and say its not a perfect world?

I also notice you have roof corrosion problems in some of your posts, that is not perfect but you dont sound very happy about it?

Get a life

Of course you would "Disagree" . But you will have to just accept it in the end. I very much doubt if VW will do anything about it, and there is always the grey carpet.

VW probally got a few thousend of those part in thier stock....need to get rid of them first before making new( without fault) .
They need to save every penny for roof repairs , enginesoftware updates,....

Of course you would "Disagree" . But you will have to just accept it in the end. I very much doubt if VW will do anything about it, and there is always the grey carpet.

What has this got to do with you anyway, you don't even have the problem? The amount I paid for this van I expect it to be perfect or as good-as , as quoted above most people these days expect perfection on a premium product why is a campervan any different?

This is getting heavy guys ....keep it clean...;)

Haven't checked for this, not going to, just enjoying my Cali....;) to be fair it shouldn't happen but ....it's not the end of the world...just my view ....:)

What has this got to do with you anyway, you don't even have the problem? The amount I paid for this van I expect it to be perfect or as good-as , as quoted above most people these days expect perfection on a premium product why is a campervan any different?
Sorry to disappoint. I do have it. See the older thread posted above. It is basically a moulding line over a reinforcement rib as it is a larger trim piece than on the Drivers B pillar.
As far as I am concerned I bought a high end van that was then fitted with £20 + K of camping equipment, crash tested bed/seat, hydraulic roof, kitchen/wardrobe/storage/water tanks etc:, high end electrical system plus many other things not found in the normal commercial van. Manufactured by one company who warrants the whole vehicle for 3 years.
It is not a £50 K car, but is a £50 K CamperVan conversion and I LOVE IT.

Disappointing I know, but like everyone says it's based on a van not a VW Phaeton. So it is a T5.2 after all, what next after the same imperfect moulding and loose leaky brake light cover.

Just a small point..... I only raised this issue with the faulty plastic trim on here to try and help others, at the time didn't realise it was also an issue on the T5.... certainly didn't expect all this controversy, guess I'm still learning about how the forum works... Best Paul

Paul, I felt the same when I checked mine earlier in the year after it had been mentioned on the forum. Enjoying my Cali so much I completely forgot about it until now :mad:
Annoying I know but no big deal, more worrying is the high level brake light cover that likes to leak or disappear. These faults should be fixed through evolution, it must cost VW plenty to keep repairing these under warranty.

So John, if you have a decorator come round and wallpaper your lounge and it does not match you pay him in full and say its not a perfect world?

I work in Architecture (coming up to 30years now) and it certainly not a perfect world out there. The comparsion is not comparable. A better comparsion would be that there is a slight issue in one small corner. Very small and hard to notice . (More noticeable on the T6). What do you do?

Just a small point..... I only raised this issue with the faulty plastic trim on here to try and help others, at the time didn't realise it was also an issue on the T5.... certainly didn't expect all this controversy, guess I'm still learning about how the forum works... Best Paul

Hey Paul it's a good job you didn't post about politics, climate change or the Middle East!!

Thanks for pointing the fault out. I've flagged it with VW before my van is built in January. It's certainly not a major issue but we are paying a lot of money for something and it's right that it should be raised with VW.

I was always told 'Near enough isn't good enough' when providing a product or service for sale. Let's hope VW agree?

ps I've shared this thread to VW so they can see that it isn't just a one off.

Hey Paul it's a good job you didn't post about politics, climate change or the Middle East!!

Thanks for pointing the fault out. I've flagged it with VW before my van is built in January. It's certainly not a major issue but we are paying a lot of money for something and it's right that it should be raised with VW.

I was always told 'Near enough isn't good enough' when providing a product or service for sale. Let's hope VW agree?

Maybe you could share my thread with VW about the high level brake light still leaking in the new T6 as well!

We bought a transporter, my husband spent thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours converting it, it shook, rattled and rolled and eventually we got rid for a second hand T5 Cali.

It's a delight, good value for what you get and a flaw in a bit of moulding certainly doesn't affect us using it and enjoying our life in it. Trivial,

I don't think it's trivial. There's a visible part of interior trim that looks as though it's broken. Once I've noticed something like that my eye would be constantly drawn to it and it would annoy me.
I wouldn't take the van into my dealer just for that, but if it was in for a service or other warranty work I'd definitely want it replaced.
Why wouldn't you if it was under warranty? It's an easy fix.
I certainly wouldn't consider myself in need of getting a life. What a stupid comment that is.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Totally amazed at some of these comments on here, if people are willing to accept second best on a brand new vehicle that is up to them, I personally would not accept this fault on a brand new £50k van, why should VW get away with it? I bet they would love reading this thread seeing that some of you are happy to accept sub standard goods. You would not accpt this in a £25k Golf so why are we expected to except in in a Cali? Just because it is a posh builders van?

Not got a Cali before someone points it out, but if I did and it had such an obvious fault I would be pointing it out to VW. That is all this thread was doing. Due to the power of this board owners identified a manufacturing error and concern was expressed about what this says about VW.
For some reason (I suspect boredom) contributors? Feel it is ok to make personal attacks. I know that due to the very numbers who read these threads that ill considered remarks can be made but surely it is not necessary, and I don't mean just at Christmas.
Some would consider it free speech but it is more likely to stifle debate than promote it.

Dare I say it...... this fault is actually on both the Passenger and the Drivers side 'B' post !!!!!

Back