Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Order + Spec Reasoning

nevertheless ....when VW are sending Beaches to the U.K. why deny their customers the ability to spend more money for the options they want?
Example: There are a measly three duo colour options available to UK buyers. Customers in mainland Europe get seven! Since the paint application proceedure is the same regardless of which side the steering wheel is or where the vehicle goes after it leaves the factory, why do UK customers receive a reduced choice?

Last edited:
Example: There are a measly three duo colour options available to UK buyers. Customers in mainland Europe get seven! Since the paint application proceedure is the same regardless of which side the steering wheel is or where the vehicle goes after it leaves the factory, why do UK customers justify a reduced choice?
And why cant U.K. Beaches be spec’d with blue or red bellows, Sports or Style packs, several alloy wheel styles or privacy glass...etc? Is this part of the tiered marketing (premium Ocean...) strategy? As you say they are different vehicles

Cable defo on the list - cheers.

1 x 15m plus 1 x 10m is better than 1 x 25m as it gives 3 length options for very little extra £££

10m or 15m or 25m

(I misunderstood the advice when buying 4 years ago and got a 25m and 15m lead giving us a stonking 40m option!!!)

And why cant U.K. Beaches be spec’d with blue or red bellows, Sports or Style packs, several alloy wheel styles or privacy glass...etc? Is this part of the tiered marketing (premium Ocean...) strategy? As you say they are different vehicles
I agree.
I also accept that there can sometimes be various reasons, either technical and/or legislative, why some options aren't possible. However, I fail to see how VW are able to export a swb 205ps 4Motion, van, Ocean or Caravelle to the UK, but can't offer these same options to Beach customers. They could but they won't.

I agree.
I also accept that there can sometimes be various reasons, either technical and/or legislative, why some options aren't possible. However, I fail to see how VW are able to export a swb 205ps 4Motion, van, Ocean or Caravelle to the UK, but can't offer these same options to Beach customers. They could but they won't.
I think VW UK is the problem. They take the view that if someone can afford a 4mo they can afford an Ocean.

I think VW UK is the problem. They take the view that if someone can afford a 4mo they can afford an Ocean.
But that's the key language problem: "afford". This ends up going both ways "they got a Beach because they can't afford an Ocean"... The whole language is wrong, as we are saying, price should have nothing to do with it, I wonder if anyone's actual choice was swayed because of this perception of California hierarchy!

Nerd alert: even the word "afford" doesn't actually mean you do or do not have the money in the bank, it's an old French word meaning "give oneself permission". There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying "I would prefer to spend this amount, than that amount". Do the work, get some money, buy some stuff you like, simple!

Of course it can be about budget, and for many people the lower price of the Beach means they can get in to the game and enjoy a day out with picnic by the lake, 4 bikes thrown inside, maybe stay overnight if you want... Awesome!

Whilst sat with my cat this morning I was smiling thinking, imagine if I said "well I could get a cat, but I thought I'd go "all in" and get a Great Dane instead!" :)

But that's the key language problem: "afford". This ends up going both ways "they got a Beach because they can't afford an Ocean"... The whole language is wrong, as we are saying, price should have nothing to do with it, I wonder if anyone's actual choice was swayed because of this perception of California hierarchy!

Nerd alert: even the word "afford" doesn't actually mean you do or do not have the money in the bank, it's an old French word meaning "give oneself permission". There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying "I would prefer to spend this amount, than that amount". Do the work, get some money, buy some stuff you like, simple!

Of course it can be about budget, and for many people the lower price of the Beach means they can get in to the game and enjoy a day out with picnic by the lake, 4 bikes thrown inside, maybe stay overnight if you want... Awesome!

Whilst sat with my cat this morning I was smiling thinking, imagine if I said "well I could get a cat, but I thought I'd go "all in" and get a Great Dane instead!" :)
Eghhh should have had coffee before posting, I mixed up the language reference, it's Spanish where afford ends up being "give oneself permission", in English it's "to go further / to be in a position to"... Still a bit wishy washy when you think of it!

You may be right. In which case they must only have a minimal understanding of their customer base, but of course, that isn't news!

You may be right. In which case they must only have a minimal understanding of their customer base, but of course, that isn't news!
What happened to the laws of supply and demand? Surely VWUK can’t be that inept? Can they?

What happened to the laws of supply and demand? Surely VWUK can’t be that inept? Can they?
What's this crazy talk of giving the customer what they want? :)

Don't worry, not just UK, see my post about not being able to order all-season tyres in Switzerland... Yeah the same Switzerland with The Alps *palm face*

Hi All - soon to be new member (waiting till closer to the Cali delivery to join fully and use discounts) with an order placed a week ago for delivery in "Q2" - So anytime between April and June 2022!

Friend of mine actually got one recently and seeing her and her partner in the wild in it gave me the bug and after weeks of research and lurking pulled the trigger. My experience is over here.

So - what did I eventually order? With the LONG LONG LONG wait I decided to go all out and get the exact spec I wanted, no compromises and save the difference during the wait. Things I hummed and hawed a lot over:

Colour - The images on VW are terrible and I used this forum and videos to get a better idea.
Engine - 150 vs 205 - which to get long term, would 150 be enough? I never once thought about 4WD.

I knew it was an Ocean I wanted, in the end, with all the extras as std, was the same as a fully loaded Beach.

Final order was:

6.1 Ocean - reasons above
204 Engine - mainly because I like the grunt and it's the same as my Tiguan. 150 by all accounts is mostly fine but I read some steep hill issues and I like to visit the lakes.
Colour - White and Green. I thought about white, blue and red, but in the end this is THE colour. I may yet change for the white/bronze. But, maybe not. I can change up to Xmas apparently.
Wood floor - Just looks great in the videos and sets off the grey interior better. As I'm not tap dancing in there sure the durability will be fine.
Bed Mattress. Should be std TBH.
Upgraded to 18 Palmerston. They just look amazing with the white/green paint
Shower attachment - some great tricks out there to use as a full shower and great to wash dirty boots
80L tank - almost a no brainer for the price
Sat Nav Upgrade - I have this on the Tiguan and would not be with out it
Driver assistance upgrade - same, I have on mine and things like lane steering are vital for a chilled long ride
Storage net thing - probably not required, but hey ho, in for a penny.

And now, as mentioned on my previous post - just wait. With so many options I'm also shooting myself in the foot slightly because one kink in the covid ridden supply chain and its delays for me. But still. The Camper I want is the camper I want.

First try out mid Sept as we have one hired for a tour of Northern Wales for a week. Porta potties here we come.

Happy to answer any questions on my reasoning or comments on the spec - looking forward to lurking more with some interaction here and there.

View attachment 82132
A669F760-4676-40AE-ADDE-F45B7464F04B.jpegA669F760-4676-40AE-ADDE-F45B7464F04B.jpeg
A669F760-4676-40AE-ADDE-F45B7464F04B.jpeg

Just wondering what Indium Grey and Silver Awning would look like…we’ve taken a punt and ordered it anyway…just hope it’ll look good. If anyone has any pictures that’d would be interesting for sure.

Just wondering what Indium Grey and Silver Awning would look like…we’ve taken a punt and ordered it anyway…just hope it’ll look good. If anyone has any pictures that’d would be interesting for sure.
Hope my post shows this. Let me know if you would like some more pics

I have 4M, and it reduced PCP payments by £50 a month due to higher residuals
And presumably upped the final payment by both the original difference in price and the £50x however months you rented it for?

the choice of what to stock/sell is usually driven by what will sell and at what
That makes sense in theory. But when you are building Californias with all options at the factory, why deny your Beach customer a blue roof bellows or a sports pack?

That makes sense in theory. But when you are building Californias with all options at the factory, why deny your Beach customer a blue roof bellows or a sports pack?
You only have to read VWs description against each model to see how their advertising suits think.
Screenshot_20210730-204249_Drive.jpg
The Beach, " For camping beginners".
The Ocean, " For the discerning".

What utter crap!

Come on VW, wake up and let your customers decide who your products are best suited for. Those statements are both misleading and verging on the insulting.

If the reduced option policy comes from VW UK then perhaps someone could explain the reasoning behind it? UK customers get a vastly reduced options menu compared to the smörgåsbord our continental cousins are offered.

Last edited:
You only have to read VWs description against each model to see how their advertising suits think.
View attachment 82309
The Beach, " For camping beginners".
The Ocean, " For the discerning".

What utter crap!

Come on VW, wake up and let your customers decide who your products are best suited for. Those statements are both misleading and verging on the insulting.

If the reduced option policy comes from VW UK then perhaps someone could explain the reasoning behind it? UK customers get a vastly reduced options menu compared to the smörgåsbord our continental cousins are offered.
Borris, If they gave UK customers too many option choices with the Beach, it would massively cut into sales of the other trim/models. VW have reason behind their madness.

Borris, If they gave UK customers too many option choices with the Beach, it would massively cut into sales of the other trim/models. VW have reason behind their madness.
But that's the point, why would it? Beach is a daily driver, Ocean is a weekend driver.

I could more see that the Beach takes the Multivan / Caravelle buyers, but then VW still get the sale, so why would they care