Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Order + Spec Reasoning

2-tone you'll enjoy every time you walk up to your van, and 4wd you'll enjoy not-so-often - i'm driven by statistics!
4wd is like insurance, you hope you don’t need it but when you do you’ll be glad you have it.

Its a bit like the winch on my Defender, had it nearly 20 years and used it a handful of times. But if I’d not had I’d still be stuck in the middle of a forest somewhere..!

Sadly, I’m taking the risk this time and no 4wd…here’s hoping I don’t regret it.

4wd is like insurance, you hope you don’t need it but when you do you’ll be glad you have it.

Its a bit like the winch on my Defender, had it nearly 20 years and used it a handful of times. But if I’d not had I’d still be stuck in the middle of a forest somewhere..!

Sadly, I’m taking the risk this time and no 4wd…here’s hoping I don’t regret it.
You could pay several thousand pounds for said insurance. On the other hand, you could just give someone a tenner to pull you out IF you ever get stuck.

I specced the silver awning... money for nothing in a way but I think it matches the white upper half of the two tone paint better - maybe worth considering seeing as you've gone tonto with the options anyway (also chrome pack for the black A pillar?)

2021-volkswagen-california-beach-van-green-1200x800-%283%29.jpg
I’ve got the two tone as above but stayed with the black awning. For not much more money I can get a Fiamma awning that is longer and in white, so may do that eventually.

Sadly, I’m taking the risk this time and no 4wd…here’s hoping I don’t regret it

True, and you'll hear all the stories... "i had it and didn't need it" "i love it and use it all the time"... my story is as above, and where I had the absolute worst conditions (Arctic circle) I had a 1985 2wd saab 900 turbo, with spikes in the winter tyres, was awesome

True, and you'll hear all the stories... "i had it and didn't need it" "i love it and use it all the time"... my story is as above, and where I had the absolute worst conditions (Arctic circle) I had a 1985 2wd saab 900 turbo, with spikes in the winter tyres, was awesome
Loved those 900 turbo’s

A couple of other things you might want to consider adding are heavy duty anti roll bars (if that’s still an option - makes a massive difference to the wallowing) and also the set of four keys - not v expensive at this point point but really bank breaking if you need them later in its life

Hi All - soon to be new member (waiting till closer to the Cali delivery to join fully and use discounts) with an order placed a week ago for delivery in "Q2" - So anytime between April and June 2022!

Friend of mine actually got one recently and seeing her and her partner in the wild in it gave me the bug and after weeks of research and lurking pulled the trigger. My experience is over here.

So - what did I eventually order? With the LONG LONG LONG wait I decided to go all out and get the exact spec I wanted, no compromises and save the difference during the wait. Things I hummed and hawed a lot over:

Colour - The images on VW are terrible and I used this forum and videos to get a better idea.
Engine - 150 vs 205 - which to get long term, would 150 be enough? I never once thought about 4WD.

I knew it was an Ocean I wanted, in the end, with all the extras as std, was the same as a fully loaded Beach.

Final order was:

6.1 Ocean - reasons above
204 Engine - mainly because I like the grunt and it's the same as my Tiguan. 150 by all accounts is mostly fine but I read some steep hill issues and I like to visit the lakes.
Colour - White and Green. I thought about white, blue and red, but in the end this is THE colour. I may yet change for the white/bronze. But, maybe not. I can change up to Xmas apparently.
Wood floor - Just looks great in the videos and sets off the grey interior better. As I'm not tap dancing in there sure the durability will be fine.
Bed Mattress. Should be std TBH.
Upgraded to 18 Palmerston. They just look amazing with the white/green paint
Shower attachment - some great tricks out there to use as a full shower and great to wash dirty boots
80L tank - almost a no brainer for the price
Sat Nav Upgrade - I have this on the Tiguan and would not be with out it
Driver assistance upgrade - same, I have on mine and things like lane steering are vital for a chilled long ride
Storage net thing - probably not required, but hey ho, in for a penny.

And now, as mentioned on my previous post - just wait. With so many options I'm also shooting myself in the foot slightly because one kink in the covid ridden supply chain and its delays for me. But still. The Camper I want is the camper I want.

First try out mid Sept as we have one hired for a tour of Northern Wales for a week. Porta potties here we come.

Happy to answer any questions on my reasoning or comments on the spec - looking forward to lurking more with some interaction here and there.

View attachment 82132
Great van spec’ @dspuk
Are you now going to spend the next 9 - 11 months waiting time, collecting accessories to fill your spare room ? :) Many of us have done that.

Everybody will have different ideas about what’s worth getting and what’s not and there’s plenty of comment on here for your reference.

Essentials for most are:
Hookup cable
907 gas bottle
Portapotti (Thetford 335)
Pots and pans
Crockery and cutlery
Bed linen/duvet

Other things to consider:
Levelling ramps
30mm lowering springs
Solar panels
Slide out tray for the boot
Extra drawers for kitchen cupboard
Windscreen thermal cover
Pop-top thermal wrap
Wardrobe shelves
Seat covers
Front & rear dash-cams
Awning front/side panels

Plus all the normal camping bits and bobs.

Have fun.

I specced the silver awning... money for nothing in a way but I think it matches the white upper half of the two tone paint better - maybe worth considering seeing as you've gone tonto with the options anyway (also chrome pack for the black A pillar?)

2021-volkswagen-california-beach-van-green-1200x800-%283%29.jpg
Looks amazeballs. I kept the awning stock and probably keep - I like the black against the wheels and mused I may be able to change later if needed (or paint...)

Great van spec’ @dspuk
Are you now going to spend the next 9 - 11 months waiting time, collecting accessories to fill your spare room ? :) Many of us have done that.

Everybody will have different ideas about what’s worth getting and what’s not and there’s plenty of comment on here for your reference.

Essentials for most are:
Hookup cable
907 gas bottle
Portapotti (Thetford 335)
Pots and pans
Crockery and cutlery
Bed linen/duvet

Other things to consider:
Levelling ramps
30mm lowering springs
Solar panels
Slide out tray for the boot
Extra drawers for kitchen cupboard
Windscreen thermal cover
Pop-top thermal wrap
Wardrobe shelves
Seat covers
Front & rear dash-cams
Awning front/side panels

Plus all the normal camping bits and bobs.

Have fun.
Fabulous list. Cheers for that.

Thought about most of these, esp the 335!

Does it not come with a gas bottle?
I thought it had a hookup cable in the draw?

Ramps on the list now. Looked at the sliding tray etc but will do those as we expand with the van.

Thermal wrap too - will look at these closer to time and use club discounts.

One to add is a bike rack - happy to buy used so just have a rolling search on eBay till a cheap one comes up.

Space cleared in the garage!

A couple of other things you might want to consider adding are heavy duty anti roll bars (if that’s still an option - makes a massive difference to the wallowing) and also the set of four keys - not v expensive at this point point but really bank breaking if you need them later in its life
Key's I did think about - will prob add later and pay cash - save the cost over 4 years :D

Welcome dspuk,
It's interesting to read about someone else's reasons for choosing a particular model and options. It looks like you have specced yourself a really nice van. I hope it doesn't seem too long before the great day finally arrives.

My only comment is:
You have said that, "I knew it was an Ocean I wanted, in the end, with all the extras as std, was the same as a fully loaded Beach".

That is undoubtedly true. However, that says that you did consider both models but in the end decided on the basis of what you will be getting for your money. Imo that's the wrong approach because the most important question anyone buying a California should ask themselves is, how am I and my family, likely to use this very expensive purchase?

For all I know you have already carefully considered all models and variants of those models and have chosen wisely. However, it has become clear that some people bypass that reasoning process and go straight for the all bells and whistles approach. The Ocean and the Beach are very different vehicles that suit different user needs, so it is essential that anyone considering buying a California is honest with themselves and chooses on the basis of their actual likely useage and not the number features that are included.

Good luck and I hope you and yours have many happy adventures in he/she/it. :thumb
This is spot on

In the UK it seems the Beach is "the entry level", Coast is medium and Ocean is high. There's a lot of official and unofficial talk using terms to support this. E.g. A lot of "going all in" to explain buying an Ocean.

But I don't understand it, certainly in Switzerland it's not seen the same, the Beach is the daily driver, the Coast and Ocean are the weekend vehicles, price is not the decider; it's what you want to do with it.

Fabulous list. Cheers for that.

Thought about most of these, esp the 335!

Does it not come with a gas bottle?
I thought it had a hookup cable in the draw?

Ramps on the list now. Looked at the sliding tray etc but will do those as we expand with the van.

Thermal wrap too - will look at these closer to time and use club discounts.

One to add is a bike rack - happy to buy used so just have a rolling search on eBay till a cheap one comes up.

Space cleared in the garage!
No it doesn’t come with a gas bottle.

It has a very short cable with a EU style plug but you may want to buy a UK version for connecting to a 3-pin socket at home. You will also need a long cable for campsites. Most go for 25m.

We specified a towbar when we ordered our van for the purpose of fitting a towbar mounted bike rack. We bought a Thule Velospace XT3. We prefer this to a permanently attached tailgate bike rack.

BTW Dunelm do a single Ottoman for about £10 which fits over the Thetford 335 perfectly and doubles as a stool.

It has a very short cable with a EU style plug but you may want to buy a UK version for connecting to a 3-pin socket at home. You will also need a long cable for campsites. Most go for 25m.

We specified a towbar when we ordered our van for the purpose of fitting a towbar mounted bike rack. We bought a Thule Velospace XT3. We prefer this to a permanently attached tailgate bike rack.

BTW Dunelm do a single Ottoman for about £10 which fits over the Thetford 335 perfectly and doubles as a stool.
Quick question on the Thule bike rack - we have one, but dont have the Cali Yet.

Does the tailgate open ok when the rack is lowered..?

Quick question on the Thule bike rack - we have one, but dont have the Cali Yet.

Does the tailgate open ok when the rack is lowered..?
Yes it does. There is a wire strap on each side of the rack that dictate how much the rack tilts. You will probably need to move them to the 2nd position to give maximum tilt.

Attachments

• A4FF9231-801C-469B-A27F-4253AC76FEE5.jpeg
    A4FF9231-801C-469B-A27F-4253AC76FEE5.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 22
Yes it does. There is a wire strap on each side of the rack that dictate how much the rack tilts. You will probably need to move them to the 2nd position to give maximum tilt.
Great, I never knew there was a 2nd position for the straps (just about to go to the shed and have a look..!)

Cable defo on the list - cheers.

This is spot on

In the UK it seems the Beach is "the entry level", Coast is medium and Ocean is high. There's a lot of official and unofficial talk using terms to support this. E.g. A lot of "going all in" to explain buying an Ocean.

But I don't understand it, certainly in Switzerland it's not seen the same, the Beach is the daily driver, the Coast and Ocean are the weekend vehicles, price is not the decider; it's what you want to do with it.
Makes sense - our Tiguan will be our daily driver and the Cali will be the weekend and summer vehicle. The Ocean works for us, and the Beach and Coast for others - all the rich tapestry of Cali ownership.

This is spot on

Unfortunately that is just how VW have always marketed the California models in the UK. The SE and now the Ocean was/is clearly intended to be their top of the range model with the Coast now fulfilling a no frills version of the same. Unfortunately, the Beach is marketed as their entry level, basic, take it or leave it, starter Cali. VW's introductory advertising blurb for the then new T6-1 said as much.

As you say, the trouble is that the California range is split into two completely different model designs. One version, either in Ocean or Coast guise, is clearly aimed at those wanting a single purpose campervan whilst most Beach customers are attracted by that vehicle's awesome multi purpose possibilities. I suspect that very few Beach customers buy because they want to get on the first rung of VW's stated California aspirational ladder. I'm sure most Beach punters buy because that's the version that works best for them.

So are both sets of customers treated the same? Answer: NO.

The UK Beach customer is offered a more limited menu of overpriced options that makes a well specced Beach disproportionately expensive when compared to an Ocean. Example: I didn't want an Ocean or a Coast but did want a Beach with a very specific options list. It cost me just shy of £66k in 2019!!! Members have frequently mentioned this pricing anomaly and sometimes used it as a reason for choosing an Ocean. My point is that whilst understandable, buying for that reason alone may lead the purchaser to be disappointed with a vehicle that doesn't fit their needs . First choose the model that suits your needs best then explore the costs involved.

Imo, it's about time VW dropped this flawed sales policy and started treating these two UK California customer groups equally in terns of both options and pricing.

Another issue is the disparity between UK Beach models and those sold in mainland Europe. Why is it that the UK Beach customer is offered such a restricted options list whereas customers in countries around Europe are offered all sorts of "forbidden fruit"? Whilst many of these options wouldn't interest me, they almost certainly would others. Examples include:

1. More engine choices
2. Electro /hydraulic roof
3. 4Motion
4. Double glazing
5 etc etc.

Sorry we have strayed off topic.

Unfortunately that is just how VW have always marketed the California models in the UK. The SE and now the Ocean was/is clearly intended to be their top of the range model with the Coast now fulfilling a no frills version of the same. Unfortunately, the Beach is marketed as their entry level, basic, take it or leave it, starter Cali. VW's introductory advertising blurb for the then new T6-1 said as much.

As you say, the trouble is that the California range is split into two completely different model designs. One version, either in Ocean or Coast guise, is clearly aimed at those wanting a single purpose campervan whilst most Beach customers are attracted by that vehicle's awesome multi purpose possibilities. I suspect that very few Beach customers buy because they want to get on the first rung of VW's stated California aspirational ladder. I'm sure most Beach punters buy because that's the version that works best for them.

The UK Beach customer is offered a more limited menu of overpriced options that makes a well specced Beach disproportionately expensive when compared to an Ocean. Example: I didn't want an Ocean or a Coast but did want a Beach with a very specific options list. It cost me just shy of £66k in 2019!!! Members have frequently mentioned this pricing anomaly and sometimes used it as a reason for choosing an Ocean. My point is that whilst understandable, buying for that reason alone may lead the purchaser to be disappointed with a vehicle that doesn't fit their needs . First choose the model that suits your needs best then explore the costs involved.

Imo, it's about time VW dropped this flawed sales policy and started treating these two UK California customer groups equally in terns of both options and pricing.

Another issue is the disparity between UK Beach models and those sold in mainland Europe. Why is it that the UK Beach customer is offered such a restricted options list whereas customers in countries around Europe are offered all sorts of "forbidden fruit"? Whilst many of these options wouldn't interest me, they almost certainly would others. Examples include:

1. More engine choices
3. 4Motion
4. Double glazing
5 etc etc.

I'm just glad it wasn't me with this view! Well said.

1. More engine choices
3. 4Motion
4. Double glazing
5 etc etc.

Off topic is great - all super insights. As mentioned, this was my challenge and part of a clever and deliberate pricing strategy. Speccing up a Coast to what I wanted made it rather pointless as the Ocean was priced to overlap with all the options on. A Beach in either guise was not for me because I wanted the kitchen camper setup. Having sat in corporate meetings discussing these option and pricing strategies I can confirm it is all very deliberate. Options though can differ market to market for many reasons, some being legal (the homologation challenge) and some being practical on LHD vs RHD and the supplier cost for differing version of parts meaning the highest sales version (usually RHD for EU vehciles) gets more options and factory bandwidth.

Off topic is great - all super insights. As mentioned, this was my challenge and part of a clever and deliberate pricing strategy. Speccing up a Coast to what I wanted made it rather pointless as the Ocean was priced to overlap with all the options on. A Beach in either guise was not for me because I wanted the kitchen camper setup. Having sat in corporate meetings discussing these option and pricing strategies I can confirm it is all very deliberate. Options though can differ market to market for many reasons, some being legal (the homologation challenge) and some being practical on LHD vs RHD and the supplier cost for differing version of parts meaning the highest sales version (usually RHD for EU vehciles) gets more options and factory bandwidth.
You've specced a great Cali after clearly thinking things through carefully. :thumb

As for those option and pricing strategy decisions, I'm sure they are deliberate.

I also fully accept that as you say, there are many reasons why options can differ, never the less.......

You've specced a great Cali after clearly thinking things through carefully. :thumb

As for those option and pricing strategy decisions, I'm sure they are deliberate.

I also fully accept that as you say, there are many reasons why options can differ, never the less.......
nevertheless ....when VW are sending Beaches to the U.K. why deny their customers the ability to spend more money for the options they want?