Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New solar offering from Solar Camper Solutions

Roger Donoghue

Roger Donoghue

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all, I've made a new type of solar panel kit option for the VW California. It's a bit of a departure from the norm.

I'll still be selling our thin panel kits as our main offering, but I've had the odd request here and there for a kit using more traditional aluminiumn framed, glass panels, as opposed to the slimline plastic panels that our normal kits use.

There are key differences, the most important being height.

The slim panel kits are 14mm tall at the highest point on the roof. That's what they add. 14mm max, which keeps almost all, if not all vans under 2m height. They are 3kg per panel, with mounting arms. They now come with a 2 year warranty as I'm very happy with the panels we have been using since last summer and have made specifically for us (all black slimline panels). I have panels from the same factory out there from over 5 years ago , still going strong.

The framed glass panels add 36mm to the highest point on the roof. They weigh in at 6kg each with mouting arms. They are all black, and the arms are black anodised. They come with a 5 year warranty - that's what I get from my supplier. I've been using framed panels on Bongos for 8 years or so now, with just two failures in all that time.

The cost of the kit will be a touch more - just to cover the cost of the anodising, which is remarkably expensive FYI ! (and adds a chunk of time to material ordering). Probably around £25 more per panel, so not much different.

Obviously the key differences are warranty length, and, vehicle height. If you run regular springs on your van it's likely the framed panels will take you over 2m by around 2cm. How much this matters will obviously be down to you. The addition of 3Kg per panel should not really be a deal breaker. It's a small amount when you consider the weight of roof boxes and their contents.

This offering will appeal, I assume, to those wanting a longer warranty, not worried about the small gain in height, or people who camp in extreme temperatures where robustness is a key factor.

I've got no idea how they will sell, so have 10 in stock to test the water. I'll put them on our website in the next few days, once I've had some feedback on here.

2021-08-08 16.35.55.jpg2021-08-08 16.36.25.jpg
2021-08-08 16.35.46.jpg

How many watts on these? When my 120w panels fails and my warranty is out I would try and get panels that use all the width of the roof between the mounts if possible to maximize the power we can get.

They are 100watts. I choose the size for a few reasons

- right size to allow two - people like to add after the initial order sometimes
- not too close to the side bars as the panels have to flex a small amount when bolted down and I don't want all that strain to be on a few cm of aluminium angle.
- it's the max size and weight I'm happy with using the fixing bars, which are as small (discreet) as I can go whilst miantaining enough strength.

I don't want to start a new thread so put it in here....

I've had to register for VAT (ouch!).

I'm asbsorbing the vast majority of the cost myself. The price of success!

I have increased all kit prices by a small amount (£30). I've not increased the prices in around 7 years on my site. Panel prices are increasing quickly, and in particular, shipping costs from China, have gone through the roof. All parts costs are up significantly too, due to global shortages.
I have only increased the price of single kits. Go double or triple and the old upgrade prices stay, as do all charger and cable upgrade prices. I make no money on charger upgrades - I pass them on at cost.

The good news is international buyers get the VAT removed at checkout. You'll get charged on arrival in your country - your own VAT, but you won't get double charged, which is what effectively currently happens to non vat reg companies when they export.

It's also good news in the UK if you can order your kit though your business.

These look great Roger.

Just a small piece of feedback, I wonder if there's a different expression that can be used to replace 'Bolt On'.

Even though you clearly state no drilling required, the words 'Bolt On' make me shudder slightly, reminding me when people used to drill through car roofs to mount car aerials.

Maybe 'Complete' or 'All in one' ?

These look great Roger.

Just a small piece of feedback, I wonder if there's a different expression that can be used to replace 'Bolt On'.

Even though you clearly state no drilling required, the words 'Bolt On' make me shudder slightly, reminding me when people used to drill through car roofs to mount car aerials.

Maybe 'Complete' or 'All in one' ?

“Roof rail mounted”?

We stopped by at Roger’s on our way back from Devon and Cornwall to upgrade our broken 4.5 year old twin panels. The usual great service, with Roger replacing while we waited in just a few minutes.

The new panels look really great, and most importantly work a treat.

“Roof rail mounted”?

We stopped by at Roger’s on our way back from Devon and Cornwall to upgrade our broken 4.5 year old twin panels. The usual great service, with Roger replacing while we waited in just a few minutes.

Hi Tom, did you upgrade with new thin panels or the new framed glass ones?

“Roof rail mounted”?

We popped in to see Roger whilst in Devon last week and had a couple of the slimline panels fitted, excellent service; the panels are working well and look fabulous. Thoroughly recommended.

Just a quick q for any users - does the van orientation make much difference to output with the roof raised?
Obviously you’d park with the tailgate south if possible, but some sites you maybe couldn’t, or when there’s a strong northerly.

Just wondering really. I’m imagining getting the van all set up, level, awning out.. and suddenly realising the panel’s in shade!

Just a quick q for any users - does the van orientation make much difference to output with the roof raised?
Obviously you’d park with the tailgate south if possible, but some sites you maybe couldn’t, or when there’s a strong northerly.

Just wondering really. I’m imagining getting the van all set up, level, awning out.. and suddenly realising the panel’s in shade!
Yes.
But you could lower the roof to mitigate the effect, if not using the van.

Sounds great! 4 questions;
  1. So the aluminum bars are mounted with T-washers in the rail-tracks?
  2. No “rattle” against the roof in speed or heavy upwind? (Silly question I guess).
  3. I have an Epever 2210 (20A) charge controller with Bluetooth module for iPhone monitoring. Will that work together with our panels?
  4. Do you require proof of residency for non UK residents for the VAT refund?
  5. Thanks!

2. No “rattle” against the roof in speed or heavy upwind? (Silly question I guess).
  3. I have an Epever 2210 (20A) charge controller with Bluetooth module for iPhone monitoring. Will that work together with our panels?
  5. Thanks!

In 69,000 miles we have never heard a sound from the panels, but that might be because the sound is drowned out by other rattles. ;)

5. Thanks!

1- Yes
2 - No rattles - the panels are held down tight against the roof. Slightly bent over the arch of the roof.
3 - Yes. Just select "No charger" when ordering
4 - VAT is removed when ordering from outside the UK - it is entirely based on the address for shipment not being in the UK
5 - you are welcome :)

Yes, though in peak summer less so.

When the sun is not directly over you having the roof up, with the sun shining on it makes a big difference. This is typically in spring and autumn. Otherwise the sun is "glancing" off the panel rather then hitting it dead on.

Realistically, when you park, regardless of the orientation of the pitch, choosing to drive in or reverse in will give you a good enough compromise.

1- Yes
2 - No rattles - the panels are held down tight against the roof. Slightly bent over the arch of the roof.
3 - Yes. Just select "No charger" when ordering
4 - VAT is removed when ordering from outside the UK - it is entirely based on the address for shipment not being in the UK
5 - you are welcome :)
Thanks again. I returned the Epever. Too big and I won’t need the display with a Victron SmartSolar controller. After reading through different threads on this topic. Now I will decide whether I can use my existing flexible panel or order one of yours with cables. What are your delivery time to Sweden you think?

Sweden should be 3-5 working days but I'm telling everyone to expect customs delays. UK parcels are being super thoroughly checked / held up at customs in a lot of EU countries. France anda few others I know of are insisting the recipients take their purchase order/invoice with them and sometimes a proof of payment!

Old and new panels

61ac1312fbe6e768e1cdce9081dd72dd.jpg

1edf4200fce038d5482e5f43eb879023.jpg

My ocean windows don’t look anywhere as good as yours.