Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Solar Panels in all of our kits for 2019

You can indeed. The solar regulator will

a) see the battery as full the moment you hook up, and therefore back right off. Even on the brightest of days.
b) you get next to nothing in the dark grey winter days anyow.

A notice - that is on our website too:

We close for winter from 20th December (2019) Until 14th Feb (2020). Last orders for 2019 need to be in by 13th Dec. All orders after will be queued and shipped on return.

I've premade loads of Cali and MP kits, so when I return they will go straight out.

Still taking and dispatching orders up to the 13th of Dec.

You can indeed. The solar regulator will

a) see the battery as full the moment you hook up, and therefore back right off. Even on the brightest of days.
b) you get next to nothing in the dark grey winter days anyow.

Thanks Roger and Lightning.

Then I think I have a problem because mine doesn’t! At least, it doesn’t show the charging symbol on the display.

I’ve checked the cables and the breaker and all is ok. Any ideas?

TIA
Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Which charger do you have? The LCD one will always show the charging symbol when connected to solar and there is some light, even if it's trickle charging. None of the chargers will take your battery over capacity, regardless of being on hookup or not.

Then I think I have a problem because mine doesn’t! At least, it doesn’t show the charging symbol on the display.

TIA
Ian

When on Mains Hookup do you have Mains power in the vehicle at the Mains socket presuming you have a Ocean/SE.?
If so check that the Mains plug is properly inserted into the Charger. A known problem.

TIA
Ian

as @WelshGas says to check the charger IEC plug.
This diagram shows the layout of the kit.
Camper_Electrics_Ocean.png

When on Mains Hookup do you have Mains power in the vehicle at the Mains socket presuming you have a Ocean/SE.?
If so check that the Mains plug is properly inserted into the Charger. A known problem.

I believe that I do have power at the socket on the side of the kitchen unit but I will have to double check.

Is the mains plug for the charger located near the battery at the back? I.e. could I have knocked it when I put the battery back in place after fitting the solar panel cable?

Thanks all, I’ll try to test these things this week, but at the moment my work days are too long

Which charger do you have? The LCD one will always show the charging symbol when connected to solar and there is some light, even if it's trickle charging. None of the chargers will take your battery over capacity, regardless of being on hookup or not.

The solar seems to be working fine, I had 2 long trip since fitting it, bot without problems but at the moment the Cali is in my underground parking so the batteries are not getting charged.
I’ve got the Victron with Bluetooth charger

I believe that I do have power at the socket on the side of the kitchen unit but I will have to double check.

Is the mains plug for the charger located near the battery at the back? I.e. could I have knocked it when I put the battery back in place after fitting the solar panel cable?

Thanks all, I’ll try to test these things this week, but at the moment my work days are too long
Very likely. I would check that first. You don’t have to move the battery to check. Just remove the panel and the Mains plug for the charger is on the L side of the charger, looking at the battery through the hatch.

The solar seems to be working fine, I had 2 long trip since fitting it, bot without problems but at the moment the Cali is in my underground parking so the batteries are not getting charged.
I’ve got the Victron with Bluetooth charger
I have a victron BT charger fabulous bit of kit.

Finally got time to take everything out the back again and check this. You were absolutely right @WelshGas, the plug can’t have been in properly (although it felt ok). Reseated it and all is good again.
Many thanks and if you are ever in the Zurich region of Switzerland, let me know and I’ll buy you a beer. (That actually goes for all of you)

Hi there, I’ve sent a few messages via your web form and had no reply over the last month. I had a bunch of pre sales questions. Do you guys have a phone number?

Hi there, I’ve sent a few messages via your web form and had no reply over the last month. I had a bunch of pre sales questions. Do you guys have a phone number?

They're on holiday until mid February from 20th December

No nothing in spam, plus I was the one sending in a form

I’d really like to get something sorted for Christmas but a few days in and no reply here doesn’t look great

nope still nothing
From Rogers post no. 77 on this thread, as also stated in post 88...

We close for winter from 20th December (2019) Until 14th Feb (2020). Last orders for 2019 need to be in by 13th Dec. All orders after will be queued and shipped on return.

yes its the 09/12 which is why I was hoping to hear from someone before they close on the 13th!!!! Loosing confidence. Bit of a worry if something went wrong and needed support!

He is a one man band, maybe he left early...

7 days later and still no response. One man band or not this is just plain rude.....Ill have to find a solar system elsewhere!