Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 Cali - To wait or not?

Hi all,

Sorry for my first post 'taking' rather than 'giving' but I was fairly close to ordering due to some uber discounts available at the moment (15%) on the current model; but then I saw the T6.1 reveal!

I'm torn between waiting which will (at least in the short term) offer better residuals and the latest spec.

or

Picking up a bargain T6 - I've been quoted £53.2k for a Cali Ocean with a decent spec (apart from standard paint)
DSG 150bhp
Adaptive Cruise Control ACC
4 Remote Folding Keys -
LED Headlights / DRL / Tailgate
Parking Sensors - Front and Rear
Privacy Glass with Heat Insulation
1 Swivel Seat / Rail Adjustment
Kitchen Cupboard-Wardrobe / Outdoor Shower Connection

My hunch is that the residual value drop won't be as much as the additional saving I'm getting ?

I just wondered where the wisdom was on this forum?

Yours Boggled of Bristol ;-)

We sold our Westfalia Club Joker City a couple of months ago and since then have been humming and hahing over what to do next - straight replacement with a second hand Ocean or Marco Polo (MP with low mileage is very good value if you find one with heating fitted - more for your money than a Cali due to higher initial depreciation) or add a quite a bit of money and get a new Cali (VW Cali definitely better value on a new one than Marco Polo). Its a bit of a jungle out there with South East VW dealers in particular printing money (Citygate you know who you are). The 6.1 will cost a lot extra I think and is incremental to the 6 rather than groundbreaking. I actually think the game changer will be the electric Buzz in 2022/23 so to be honest we were not in a hurry to do anything really - waiting for the right van/inspiration.

The current spate of deals on new stock vehicles has however inspired us to buy - plus the week we just spent in Wales in a hired Ocean. I've always wanted a 2 tone camper but they were well out of reach even second hand but £56K OTR with a similar list of extras to the one you were quoted could not be ignored. A similar T6.1 will be well out of reach - anyway I have LEDs and Discover Media plus on the new van, a spirit level on my iphone and I found the virtual cockpit/infotainment system on my old A3 bloody annoying anyway. What am i missing really by waiting for T6.1 except a bigger hole in my finances. We have some friends that recently picked up a new white 150 DSG Ocean with a well judged spec (all the essential options) for £49,500 - again they weren't in the market but could not ignore that price.

Californias are rarely 'value' - the prices are really inflated but for once it seems to be a buyers market - the dealers behind these offers need to close them in September to get the additional discounts from VW - or that is what we were told. I suspect that VW do not want stocks of cheaper T6 cannibalizing the market for the new T6.1 so they are being flushed out the market. If you still have the deal available I would go for it.

Calis are a memory making machine - get one now and start making those memories
(Also imho the older they are the cooler they become- Calis that is as well as their owners :):):))

Back