Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

My completely unfounded pet theory is that VW may prioritise Californias for he UK market to avoid the Brexit deadline / 10% import duties and the potential of mass cancellations. The UK govt have said that any vehicle built and ready to ship, even if it is not in the country, will be exempt from import duty.

UPDATE: just off the VW Chat app - my week 30 build is still at status 20 (but confirmed as build week 30) and is still being built.... its at build point 5 (anyone know what this means?) with 3 more to go - so at best if this is correct, its 4 or so weeks behind the quoted build week, yet to be finished and shipped so I recon 1st of Oct is the best I could hope for.... fingers crossed

UPDATE: just off the VW Chat app - my week 30 build is still at status 20 (but confirmed as build week 30) and is still being built.... its at build point 5 (anyone know what this means?) with 3 more to go - so at best if this is correct, its 4 or so weeks behind the quoted build week, yet to be finished and shipped so I recon 1st of Oct is the best I could hope for.... fingers crossed
so what would that put your total order time at?

My completely unfounded pet theory is that VW may prioritise Californias for he UK market to avoid the Brexit deadline / 10% import duties and the potential of mass cancellations. The UK govt have said that any vehicle built and ready to ship, even if it is not in the country, will be exempt from import duty.
I like your theory, it is my hope also. :)

I am new to all this so apologies if this is a daft question. is the current quoted time of 16 weeks true?
16 weeks would seem reasonable, possibly quick. Mine took 48 weeks, but that was unusual. Just don't plan any holidays on the basis of your van turning up by a specific date.

Interesting. We're hiring a 6.1 next week, so hopefully will get an order in soon after. There's some offers on until end of August (2 services + 4 year warranty) but that may be too tight. Just hoping September offers are similar

possibly.....
Taking the collective experience on this thread, I'm really not sure. If it's from confirmed Build week, I'd like to think so. Optimistically, the pandemic will surely have meant that this year was not representative and that production will settle and be more robust. However, my confidence in VW as a JIT manufacturer is shot on the back of the Chat feedback experience. Their capability to feedback real and reliable updates is not robust in my experience and lets the company down. The product however appears well thought of, so hopefully worth the wait.

Taking the collective experience on this thread, I'm really not sure. If it's from confirmed Build week, I'd like to think so. Optimistically, the pandemic will surely have meant that this year was not representative and that production will settle and be more robust. However, my confidence in VW as a JIT manufacturer is shot on the back of the Chat feedback experience. Their capability to feedback real and reliable updates is not robust in my experience and lets the company down. The product however appears well thought of, so hopefully worth the wait.
I think the product is excellent, and VW Germany know it, but premium cost, and I understand that lockdown has inevitably affected production. No doubt that will get back on track but feel their communication (from source in Germany, or 'Brand' as the dealers call it) has been woeful and falls way below the standards expected from any producer not just a higher-end brand like VW. They just did not get their act together for a long time following lock down. In my experience one the mainstay principles of customer service is keeping people informed and they fell well short of this. Seem to be getting their act together of late by using VW Vans chatline as main point of contact. I ordered my Ocean on 7th March and it is currently on a ship Status code 39 (The City of Rotterdam) approaching the port of Tyne due in at 5pm today. Not that I'm desperate to get my hands on it, and have been following every minute of its progress :) Chatline have been very good in the past couple of weeks but have your order number to hand.

I think the product is excellent, and VW Germany know it, but premium cost, and I understand that lockdown has inevitably affected production. No doubt that will get back on track but feel their communication (from source in Germany, or 'Brand' as the dealers call it) has been woeful and falls way below the standards expected from any producer not just a higher-end brand like VW. They just did not get their act together for a long time following lock down. In my experience one the mainstay principles of customer service is keeping people informed and they fell well short of this. Seem to be getting their act together of late by using VW Vans chatline as main point of contact. I ordered my Ocean on 7th March and it is currently on a ship Status code 39 (The City of Rotterdam) approaching the port of Tyne due in at 5pm today. Not that I'm desperate to get my hands on it, and have been following every minute of its progress :) Chatline have been very good in the past couple of weeks but have your order number to hand.
I’d be at the port at 5pm with my binoculars!!!

I’d be at the port at 5pm with my binoculars!!!
I'm just watching 'The City of Rotterdam' approach Port of Tyne on a webcam at Tynemouth Surf Co. Sad I know but can't believe what you can do online these days. I've tracked it from Port of Emden Germany since yesterday and now watching it come in live at Tynemouth!! Can thoroughly recommend 'Marine Traffic' app too. The wait is excruciating but something interesting to keep us occupied in the mean time :).

I'm just watching 'The City of Rotterdam' approach Port of Tyne on a webcam at Tynemouth Surf Co. Sad I know but can't believe what you can do online these days. I've tracked it from Port of Emden Germany since yesterday and now watching it come in live at Tynemouth!! Can thoroughly recommend 'Marine Traffic' app too. The wait is excruciating but something interesting to keep us occupied in the mean time :).
Do you know if your Cali was in production to be built to 2021 specs?

I ordered in early February and had an initial build week of 16. Like many I had no news for several months and then got the news that it was ready for shipping at the end of July. The van arrived at sheerness on 5 Aug. VW Chats standard response is that it will take between 7 -10 working days before being dispatched to the van centre. It has been 13 working days so far. I enquired why there was a delay and they advised that it would be down to the backlog caused by the COVID situation (not a surprise).

Has anyone else who's van arrived in sheerness in July / August got there van yet? How long did it take to clear the port?

Do you know if your Cali was in production to be built to 2021 specs?
Good question! I think it has been built to 2021 spec. I hope this is a good thing but haven't totally got my head around the implications of 2020 v 2021. Someone on this forum gave 20th July I recall vaguely as the cut off date, and when we checked the status mid August it was 'In-build' I will get VW Liverpool to confirm of course
VW vans chatline have been very good of late so I will probably contact them later.

I ordered in early February and had an initial build week of 16. Like many I had no news for several months and then got the news that it was ready for shipping at the end of July. The van arrived at sheerness on 5 Aug. VW Chats standard response is that it will take between 7 -10 working days before being dispatched to the van centre. It has been 13 working days so far. I enquired why there was a delay and they advised that it would be down to the backlog caused by the COVID situation (not a surprise).

Has anyone else who's van arrived in sheerness in July / August got there van yet? How long did it take to clear the port?
You've done well with that. We ordered 7th March and like you build week 16. However they closed the factory about two weeks after we ordered due to COVID of course, and it arrived at Port of Tyne over the weekend just gone. I've read somewhere on this forum that the transport company are contractually obliged to deliver to the dealer within 10 days. Not sure though if that's calendar days or working days.

Good question! I think it has been built to 2021 spec. I hope this is a good thing but haven't totally got my head around the implications of 2020 v 2021. Someone on this forum gave 20th July I recall vaguely as the cut off date, and when we checked the status mid August it was 'In-build' I will get VW Liverpool to confirm of course
VW vans chatline have been very good of late so I will probably contact them later.
VW Liverpool confirmed today mine is model year (MY) 2020 though I don't think in our case there is any great difference. We ordered fairly comprehensive spec. Cali Chris at VW LIverpool does some really good Vlogs on You-tube including one on the MY20 v MY21 differences. I must take another look!

Just had news ours has been released from the port ready for the next ship, apparently every Tuesday? Seems that the whole no build week assigned debacle was a problem on their systems :rolleyes:

Meant to report back sooner! Ours arrived at the dealer on Monday the 10th August, annoyingly we left for 3 weeks in Europe the Friday before! Delivery set for the first week of September with a shiny 70 plate (original build week was 15, moved to 25)

I ordered late July and was given a production week 37 and delivery date of 31 October. I wonder why I was given an immediate date and others weren’t? I’m not sure it’s believable though. Would just like it before Christmas!

Mine was wewek 38 for end of October delivery also.....

Ordered 10th August, week 33.

Build week 40 which the dealer thinks is on target for mid to late November delivery

Build week 40 which the dealer thinks is on target for mid to late November delivery
Interesting. I ordered on the 11th Aug, still waiting to hear a build/target week.

Ordered ours 19th. So sounds good to get it this year. Did you add any options Scoot? Got a confirmation email today of the order no build week yet.

What spec did you order as i ordered on 4th aug and still await a build week!

I ordered 3rd August and still awaiting a build week also.. however my dealer seems to think delivery will be end of October.. however after following this thread im not so optimistic. :S

Ordered mine in 19th August still hoping for a 2020 delivery no firm date yet

Dealer (Guy + Preston) says I am provisionally week 41 delivery end of November.

My order was a 199 DSG in Metallic Grey with 5th seat, tow bar, ArtVelour seats and wood floor. So a few extras for them to get their teeth into

My order was a 199 DSG in Metallic Grey with 5th seat, tow bar, ArtVelour seats and wood floor. So a few extras for them to get their teeth into

Ah, similar to mine. Hope it works out for you. I hear there’s a quota per dealer so maybe I’m stuck awaiting that to clear for Liverpool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back