Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

Hi - new user here - I’ve been watching this thread for a while as we ordered a new Coast in April….but now goodness knows when it will arrive. And now I’m getting cold feet that we’ve ordered the wrong vehicle completely and maybe we need a Beach instead. Does anyone know if we could change at this stage and not lose our place in whatever queue we might be in? Would it be considered an entirely new order? Thanks for your help!

Hi - new user here - I’ve been watching this thread for a while as we ordered a new Coast in April….but now goodness knows when it will arrive. And now I’m getting cold feet that we’ve ordered the wrong vehicle completely and maybe we need a Beach instead. Does anyone know if we could change at this stage and not lose our place in whatever queue we might be in? Would it be considered an entirely new order? Thanks for your help!
Hiya, if you’ve not got a confirmed build date then apparently you can change?

I'm not convinced that you can completely change your choice of Trim. Options are fine with a provisional build date (status 10). Once you reach a confirmed build date (status 20) it would be unadvisable/likely impossible to alter the order. Contact your dealer. I know your dilemma. I ordered an Ocean 4Motion in September 2020. I got the same cold feet in the following 9 month wait and ironically my van was written off by the dealership on a low bridge during delivery process this June. I have ordered a Beach now. Order placed 7th July, accepted at the factory 13th July , Status 00. What are your main reasons for thinking you've ordered the wrong vehicle?!?!?

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that you can completely change your choice of Trim. Options are fine with a provisional build date (status 10). Once you reach a confirmed build date (status 20) it would be unadvisable/likely impossible to alter the order. I know your dilemma. I ordered an Ocean 4Motion in September 2020. I got the same cold feet in the following 9 month wait and ironically my van was written off by the dealership on a low bridge during delivery process this June. I have ordered a Beach now. Order placed 7th July, accepted at the factory 13th July , Status 00. What are your main reasons for thinking you've ordered the wrong vehicle?!?!?
I saw a video of the 5 seater Beach and actually thought that it looked great for back seat room and comfort. We have 2 boys who are 10 and 12 and growing and this would be our main family car. We would use for camping and overnight stays but we would also use it to drive to ski holidays, long day trips etc (both boys play a lot of sport and have far flung weekend fixtures). I sat in the back of an ocean when we hired one and it wasn’t the most comfortable trip ever…I’m just worried we’re spending on the kitchen when it will get used for cups of tea and the occasional camping trip.
I think it’s the long lead in time that makes you overthink. When we ordered obviously we’re told September 2021. Now I have zero confidence it will arrive even for next summer and all the fun has gone out of it - I’m even just considering sacking the order completely!

I saw a video of the 5 seater Beach and actually thought that it looked great for back seat room and comfort. We have 2 boys who are 10 and 12 and growing and this would be our main family car. We would use for camping and overnight stays but we would also use it to drive to ski holidays, long day trips etc (both boys play a lot of sport and have far flung weekend fixtures). I sat in the back of an ocean when we hired one and it wasn’t the most comfortable trip ever…I’m just worried we’re spending on the kitchen when it will get used for cups of tea and the occasional camping trip.
I think it’s the long lead in time that makes you overthink. When we ordered obviously we’re told September 2021. Now I have zero confidence it will arrive even for next summer and all the fun has gone out of it - I’m even just considering sacking the order completely!
I can completely empathise with what you are saying ChalkyC. I also have 2 boys and plan to use the van in quite a similar way. Overthink?... I realised during the long lead time - Sept 20 to June 21 (reading the forum, talking to van owners etc) I'd bought the wrong trim for the way WE were going to use the van. With an order placed in April, you should get your van for summer 22 but such a long wait does ruin the fun somewhat I know.

BTW - it's been 3 months + since you ordered. Have you checked on VW Chat whether you have a provisional build date yet?

BTW - it's been 3 months + since you ordered. Have you checked on VW Chat whether you have a provisional build date yet?
We called the dealer a few times after seeing the unfolding delays on here - Autumn 2021 seems to have become February 2022 but I don't have any confidence in that and these dates all seem pretty meaningless! We've since had to temporarily replace our family car due to the delays and I'm now feeling we rushed into placing an order at a time when we couldn't go to showrooms and properly research.

From a coast to a beach with the same order form? Do not think so. It will be cancel and become a new order. As long as no construction date has been set, a lot is still possible, but probably not this. But you can try… Good luck

We called the dealer a few times after seeing the unfolding delays on here - Autumn 2021 seems to have become February 2022 but I don't have any confidence in that and these dates all seem pretty meaningless! We've since had to temporarily replace our family car due to the delays and I'm now feeling we rushed into placing an order at a time when we couldn't go to showrooms and properly research.
Good idea to go to VW Commercial van Chat, click on speech bubble bottom right.

You'll have an order number starting with 30 or 31, 8 digits which they can use to find the status of your van. Could have a build week sooner than Feb 22. might be surprised.

I can fully understand the urge to change the order from a Coast to a Beach version. The Beach has a great "sofa" of a backseat that will accommodate three adults comfortably, if you order the choose the three seater option of cause. Also the seating comfort is better than the Coast/Ocean backseat... However when it comes to sleeping comfort the Coast/Ocean seat is better (imho) as the surface is more flat and even... The boot space of the Beach is also wider as well... We had to switch our trim from Beach to Coast, as Dutch road tax regulations require a Camper to have a fixed sink and other things installed... In three years we will be going back to the Netherlands, that's why... We had initially ordered beginning of May, and we could changed our order without any issues two week later. We live in Switzerland however, but I expect that it wont be an issue in the UK to change your order. I wouldn't be surprised if it would mean that you drop a few places in the queue however... Success with your decision... We are hoping to get our in March... Let's wait, a long, long time, and see... :)

Just checking to see if others are in the same boat as us. I long ago accepted that it’ll be ages before we see the van we ordered back in February (a coast) but we still don’t even have a provisional date let alone a confirmed build date.

Have any others been left stranded on order accepted but no provisional build date for 6 months plus or could our order have fallen through the cracks?

I’ve checked in with the dealer once a month and every time all he says is ‘no change and won’t be long before we get a date’ but it seems most have at least had a provisional date after 6 months.
Just want my mind put at rest that others have gone this long with no progress and still got their van in a reasonable (I.e 9 months) timeframe.

Just checking to see if others are in the same boat as us. I long ago accepted that it’ll be ages before we see the van we ordered back in February (a coast) but we still don’t even have a provisional date let alone a confirmed build date.

Have any others been left stranded on order accepted but no provisional build date for 6 months plus or could our order have fallen through the cracks?

I’ve checked in with the dealer once a month and every time all he says is ‘no change and won’t be long before we get a date’ but it seems most have at least had a provisional date after 6 months.
Just want my mind put at rest that others have gone this long with no progress and still got their van in a reasonable (I.e 9 months) timeframe.
Hi, have you gone onto to VW chat? They should be able to tell you a bit more than the dealer (See link above)!l

Hi there, you might like to see this video released by Chris at the Liverpool Van Centre, with a factory order update, if you‘ve not seen it before -
We had an update in the same week for our Ocean order placed 1st March, with a provisional build in December and delivery January 2022. If your order was February then I’d guess your build might be about the same timing?

Hi, I have had 11 provisional build dates for my October order, before it finally was a confirmed date. I’d honestly rather have had one that was confirmed. I planned a holiday on about the eighth provisional build week. As long as you have an order number it’ll happen. I’d expect you to get a confirmed build week (provisionals are worthless) in November/December for a February delivery ... tick...
.... tock

Hi there, you might like to see this video released by Chris at the Liverpool Van Centre, with a factory order update, if you‘ve not seen it before -
We had an update in the same week for our Ocean order placed 1st March, with a provisional build in December and delivery January 2022. If your order was February then I’d guess your build might be about the same timing?
Thanks for this. I'd heard about this list so called my dealer expecting to finally at least get a vague idea when we may see it, but was told he still had no news on our van and no clue when we may see it.

The video suggests the list covers all orders, but clearly not ours, or maybe not Eurovans orders. I'm still staggered how poor VW are in managing the process.

We cancelled our December 20 4 motion ocean order a couple of months ago, after we were told it wouldn’t arrive till late November or even next January, not many cancel, we have no regrets, we will wait a year or two before we look into getting a van again, But I’m very interested to know if anyone has taken over our order, Ocean 4 motion in Ascot grey, with lots of Options from Preston VW

Thanks for this. I'd heard about this list so called my dealer expecting to finally at least get a vague idea when we may see it, but was told he still had no news on our van and no clue when we may see it.

The video suggests the list covers all orders, but clearly not ours, or maybe not Eurovans orders. I'm still staggered how poor VW are in managing the process.
I went into Eurovans a couple of weeks ago and the list had just arrived that day. They looked at my order number on the computer and said my original estimate of November delivery had moved to January 2022 build with delivery end of February. I'd ordered an Ocean at the end of April 2021. Still no confirmed build date though.

I went into Eurovans a couple of weeks ago and the list had just arrived that day. They looked at my order number on the computer and said my original estimate of November delivery had moved to January 2022 build with delivery end of February. I'd ordered an Ocean at the end of April 2021. Still no confirmed build date though.
Eurovans just sent me this. A rare and very welcome unprompted email. I ordered October, so you might have a similar email after a 10 month wait, but it will come and be worth it. 73A5B1C2-11C6-4ED6-805E-F39B45002A0E.png

Last edited:
Oh the irony. 2 days after posting that I was getting fed up not even having a provisional date I then find out I've got a confirmed build date of week beginning 6th Sept. Guessing this will mean early to mid November to take delivery.

Can finally get excited!

Back