Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

I’m in the same boat, I have sites booked for the end of August and I’m doubtful I will get the van in time, on the bright side you would get a new September number plate prefix.

I was also told it would be a MY22 but they couldn’t confirm the changes.

Someone did say they were trying to push the vans out before the factory closes for holiday (because the workers haven’t had enough time off ) so hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I was also told VW wanting to get all of the vans out before summer break but if they are awaiting parts they may not have much say on this! I’ve seen the MY22 on the order details. Really hope we get some good news soon!

I’m in the same boat, I have sites booked for the end of August and I’m doubtful I will get the van in time, on the bright side you would get a new September number plate prefix.

I was also told it would be a MY22 but they couldn’t confirm the changes.

Someone did say they were trying to push the vans out before the factory closes for holiday (because the workers haven’t had enough time off ) so hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep mine is in build and my dealer said they’re trying to finish everything currently in build before shutdown which is next week?

Hi Dean good question....as we orders these wheels we didn't get a spare wheel just the air compressor and fluid to seal flats...not a big fan of this so will probably get a spare wheel added when I get back. I have already checked under the boot and there is space for a spare but I imagine will not be the same tyre size. There is no clamp for locking but expect that it's because I have not got the spare option, previous vans have had the spare locked in place. I'll update when I get back with the spare installed. As said by many they are worth the wait, good luck with getting yours.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
thanks for this.

8 months to the day from ordering to collection. Today is the day I have "unwatched " this particular thread. Can't leave it alone :thumb

View attachment 82299
Omg it’s gorgeous, Ascot Grey like mine that should be on its way to me anytime. Well worth the wait, enjoy. The Ascot Grey reminds me of the ‘Pastel White’ VW Combis Available late 60s, gorgeous. Enjoy!!!

right - that figures. maybe I'll sit on it instead....thanks again

Update from dealer today - factory shutdown has already started this week so now not expecting to see any vans leaving the factory until after 23/8

My dealer was told there was a chip shortage. I had a build week of 21st June but not built before the shut down. Hopefully they will have some chips by the time they reopen. More time to try and clear my garage.

This is how they do it at Porsche... : fake chips to compensate for shortages.
Porsche is going to equip its models with fake chips to limit the delivery backlog and to cope with the shortage of semiconductors. This shortage affects the entire automotive sector. Porsche enjoys a privileged status and is given priority in the supply of electronic chips within the Volkswagen group, but even then the manufacturer still has to deal with a lack of electronic parts. The brand has therefore decided to replace certain chips with counterfeit parts in order to be able to deliver as many cars as possible on time.
Porsche chooses the path of lesser evil. It prefers to supply cars with counterfeit chips – coupled with secondary functions – to replace them later than to keep its customers waiting and in danger of missing out on sales. That placebo is presented as a kind of “miracle solution”.
Recently, Porsche CEO Oliver Blume told the German newspaper Stuttgarter Zeitung that the brand builds “models with fake chips” but that these cars would be “updated” with real, functional chips once stocks are back to normal.
What should we think of that?
That the brand can still supply cars with fake chips shows that modern cars are chock full of electronics, but that they often relate to non-essential functions. Maybe simplify?
Extract from Autogids.be
What do you think?
Greetings
Calibusje

This is how they do it at Porsche... : fake chips to compensate for shortages.
Porsche is going to equip its models with fake chips to limit the delivery backlog and to cope with the shortage of semiconductors. This shortage affects the entire automotive sector. Porsche enjoys a privileged status and is given priority in the supply of electronic chips within the Volkswagen group, but even then the manufacturer still has to deal with a lack of electronic parts. The brand has therefore decided to replace certain chips with counterfeit parts in order to be able to deliver as many cars as possible on time.
Porsche chooses the path of lesser evil. It prefers to supply cars with counterfeit chips – coupled with secondary functions – to replace them later than to keep its customers waiting and in danger of missing out on sales. That placebo is presented as a kind of “miracle solution”.
Recently, Porsche CEO Oliver Blume told the German newspaper Stuttgarter Zeitung that the brand builds “models with fake chips” but that these cars would be “updated” with real, functional chips once stocks are back to normal.
What should we think of that?
That the brand can still supply cars with fake chips shows that modern cars are chock full of electronics, but that they often relate to non-essential functions. Maybe simplify?
Extract from Autogids.be
What do you think?
Greetings
Calibusje
Interesting, I'm going to google around on this, I'd think there's a misunderstanding between "fake", "counterfeit" and "dummy".

- fake / counterfeit = breaking the law, cannot be
- dummy = does nothing but fills a space, functionality is disabled e.g. sat nav (not a bad option if you want your Porsche to arrive on time and can live without non-essential functionality)

Interesting, I'm going to google around on this, I'd think there's a misunderstanding between "fake", "counterfeit" and "dummy".

- dummy = does nothing but fills a space, functionality is disabled e.g. sat nav (not a bad option if you want your Porsche to arrive on time and can live without non-essential functionality)

But they really do say fake, very strange... googling continues!

"Later, these cars would be updated with real, functional chips."

Ok so its not fake as in "Guccci belt special price", its fake as in dummy = it doesn't do anything

"Later, these cars would be updated with real, functional chips."

Ok so its not fake as in "Guccci belt special price", its fake as in dummy = it doesn't do anything

I think VW are ahead of Porsche, they've been fitting chips that don't do anything to the overhead control panel for a while now.

indeed, I translated correct like it says in the article in Dutch ;)

Fake chip does not mean it’s not functioning. We many times get option to buy chips from broker market that have shady background. Most of the time these chips are from bad batch. For example you can buy CPU that has half the cache memory due to dust particle on wafer ( manufacturer can disable part of functionality in manufacturing ). This is still fully functioning but would not pass qualification for sale. We also had examples where transistors are fully working and look ok, but under X-ray you can see there is less material inside than is should be. This are all considered fake chips by supply chain.
If manufacturing yield is 80% and the rest 20% is just less powerful but functioning one could buy that and adapt the software.

Fake chip does not mean it’s not functioning. We many times get option to buy chips from broker market that have shady background. Most of the time these chips are from bad batch. For example you can buy CPU that has half the cache memory due to dust particle on wafer ( manufacturer can disable part of functionality in manufacturing ). This is still fully functioning but would not pass qualification for sale. We also had examples where transistors are fully working and look ok, but under X-ray you can see there is less material inside than is should be. This are all considered fake chips by supply chain.
If manufacturing yield is 80% and the rest 20% is just less powerful but functioning one could buy that and adapt the software.
That's what I'm trying to figure out, are these grade b chips? I can't believe it. One thing if your laptop runs a little hot, its another thing if your 1.5 ton 100k 911 blows up / dies / whatever

That's what I'm trying to figure out, are these grade b chips? I can't believe it. One thing if your laptop runs a little hot, its another thing if your 1.5 ton 100k 911 blows up / dies / whatever
They won’t replace safety relevant chips. Those would never pass ASIL certification. But if you A/C crashes once every 4 weeks it’s not so critical ( in terms of safety, I agree with you it’s annoying and bad customer experience )

They won’t replace safety relevant chips. Those would never pass ASIL certification. But if you A/C crashes once every 4 weeks it’s not so critical ( in terms of safety, I agree with you it’s annoying and bad customer experience )
On one hand it's really weird, but then thinking about it, as long as it's clear what doesn't work (and clearly is non-essential), I'd take the early (non delayed) slot and just not use whatever it is e.g. sat nav / reverse camera

18-inch wheels do not fit in the spare cradle, which is why its not an option to configure.
That’s one of the reasons why I decided not to go for alloys, the space cradle for the spare wheel. We just went for the standard wheels which are not alloys here in France. I took the 4MO with the diff block as we plan to try to take our Cali out onto forest roads. I wanted the spare wheel just in case. I am actually tempted to change the tyres for BF Goodrich heavy duty AWD tyres, so if anyone has any experience with those on a Cali 4 MO, I’d be interested to know. That said the 18’ alloys look amazing!

right - that figures. maybe I'll sit on it instead....thanks again
You can fit the spare wheel cradle and get a 17" wheel with correct sized tyre. Same overall diameter as your 18" wheels + tyre and use as a space-saving get you home/to the garage wheel. Limited speed/distance.

Back