Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

I got Morak for an update - (s)he didn’t care. Early 2021 was his line.

Last roll of the dice ,main highway is moored up in emden and setting of the Grimsby very soon

VWCV Chat - Update on my 11 September 199 4MO order....

Beth12:47 PM
So I can see that your vehicle is still without a production week, however I am aware that the Factory are going through the RDE1 to RDE2 changeover which should hopefully be completed by next week depending on how many vehicles are being changed over. We should hopefully have an update on a build week in the next couple of weeks so I would recommend coming back to us again next week and hopefully we will have an update for you :)

Phil12:48 PM
Thanks Beth. Yes I knew about the RDE2 changeover, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that mine will be a 204 and 2021 delivery, is that pretty certain now?

Beth12:50 PM
Yes that will be the most likely outcome now, apologies if this is not the news you were hoping for Phil. Once we have a confirmed build week we can advise a better timeline of when you should receive your California.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that's fair enough. Confirming what I already know but at least she understood my frustration (I haven't copied the whole transcript).
Here's a bit more......

Phil12:42 PM
Just to let you know, I've been talking to people on a Cali forum and they said "Beth" is the best one on the chat for decent info!!! No pressure!!!

Beth12:44 PM
Haha oh wow, well glad I've been of help to people! Be happy to help you with your order :)

Does anyone on here have build weeks 46 - 48? If so, what model? Don't remember anyone mentioning these weeks...!

We had an unconfirmed week 49 last week. VW chat told me to check again this week and it now has a confirmed build week 47. So brought forward a couple of weeks. Yay! We ordered Ocean in Ascot Grey 150 on 23 September.

Well - as a fellow unconfirmed week 49 I might just try VW chat again...!!

Well - I got Beth - but still unconfirmed week 49 - maybe more info next week

A couple of weeks ago I was given a provisional week 50 and RDE1 build. Update just now is a week 49 build with RDE2 engine! Build time 2 weeks, delivery 6 weeks after.
Like everyone else, more info next week!

Ordering a California turns grown adults into irrational beasts!

I am quite sure the manufacturing site outputs will be exactly the same before and after the RDE switch over. Demand does not alter the ability to supply, the only thing that can benefit the end consumer is a switch in scheduling as we have seen with the allocation of UK builds going up at the expense of our EU counterparts, not for any other reason than VW are predicting a drop in UK demand post 1st Jan with the inevitable surge in fiscal instability so they are making hay while the BREXIT sun still shines.

Only a glut of orders being cancelled will help my quest to get my vehicle early, nothing much else is going to make a jot of difference now. It should also be noted that when we talk about large numbers of orders, VW only sold 1,500 California's to the UK last year so 125 cancellations should bring my build week forward about 2-3 weeks based on the current increased demand. Any volunteers!!!!

Right back to being an irrational beast lets see what Beth or Rob have to say today.

I have been interested reading all your posts. I have a 199 dsg Ocean in Starlight Blue on order, it was assigned build week 41, ordered mid July, I contacted VW chat for the first time this weds and was slightly disappointed to hear they still had it showing in build as I had seen some week 41’s had either made it to port or even arrived. Enough to make a grown man irrational this waiting!

I have been interested reading all your posts. I have a 199 dsg Ocean in Starlight Blue on order, it was assigned build week 41, ordered mid July, I contacted VW chat for the first time this weds and was slightly disappointed to hear they still had it showing in build as I had seen some week 41’s had either made it to port or even arrived. Enough to make a grown man irrational this waiting!
Maybe they ran out of engines!
Only kidding they cant have as the 199 and the 204 are one and the same, three weeks is a massive amount of time on a production line though. I went to Halewood to watch by Landy getting built i followed it from coming out the paint shop through full assembly right up to fluids being put in and it being tested. Took about 7 hours in total. Even the people working on the lines worked to the minute as the conveyor never stops moving so I cant understand a concept of multiple weeks with vans remaining stationary, it goes entirely against VW's JIT factory set up, so i would assume the build did not actually start in week 41.

I feel for you. Mine was a Week 41 build but was slower leaving the factory than other Week 41’s. I suspect mine was started towards the end of Week 41 and others started earlier in the week? Same with shipping, mine seems to have stood at Emden longer than others have. No idea why but maybe VWs logistics are quite smart I.e. perhaps they ship groups of vehicles that are destined for the same dealership in the U.K.to make handling at the port easier? There’s also an inconsistency with info’ given by VW Chat agents. Was told last night that mine was still at Emden after the ship had sailed but this morning when double checking was told it was onboard. Perhaps my Cali is amphibious and caught the ship up? :) Time will tell. Yours can’t be far behind if it’s a confirmed Week 41. Hang on in there.

Well the stars aligned... we picked it up yesterday afternoon.. what a rollercoaster ride since august.. speechless..

I hope you guys get your good news soon

View attachment 68509
View attachment 68511

View attachment 68510
Wow, that looks blistering beautiful!, I’m not one to get envious, but happy to make an exception in this case. Enjoy!!

Well the stars aligned... we picked it up yesterday afternoon.. what a rollercoaster ride since august.. speechless..

I hope you guys get your good news soon

View attachment 68509
View attachment 68511

View attachment 68510
You may want to fade out “the ************ family“ in the pic

Only kidding they cant have as the 199 and the 204 are one and the same, three weeks is a massive amount of time on a production line though. I went to Halewood to watch by Landy getting built i followed it from coming out the paint shop through full assembly right up to fluids being put in and it being tested. Took about 7 hours in total. Even the people working on the lines worked to the minute as the conveyor never stops moving so I cant understand a concept of multiple weeks with vans remaining stationary, it goes entirely against VW's JIT factory set up, so i would assume the build did not actually start in week 41.
It has to be something holding it up, I checked this evening only to be told once more it was in production and when I queried it was a week 41 build, they just said that was correct and to check next week! Cannot for one moment regardless of any factory restrictions believe coming up possibly four weeks would be deemed anything like a normal even in these strange times to have in production once started. It does make you a little nervous!

It has to be something holding it up, I checked this evening only to be told once more it was in production and when I queried it was a week 41 build, they just said that was correct and to check next week! Cannot for one moment regardless of any factory restrictions believe coming up possibly four weeks would be deemed anything like a normal even in these strange times to have in production once started. It does make you a little nervous!
Perhaps something in your specification?

We are currently end week 44, your build may be started end week 41? So 42 -43 and a into 44, consequently you may only be a few days over your expectations?
keep the faith !

The California has 2 production lines in 2 different locations .
The first line is the building of the complete vehicle Including the front cabin and all the vehicle options BUT minus roof and the habitation interior.
The vehicle is then transferred to the VW Special Vehicles California Building for final installation of all the “ camping “ equipment .

The first line is the building of the complete vehicle Including the front cabin and all the vehicle options BUT minus roof and the habitation interior.
The vehicle is then transferred to the VW Special Vehicles California Building for final installation of all the “ camping “ equipment .

Thank you for sharing that video. Brilliant.

Informative article and film. :)

Yes , those who think a Cali is build in one day are daydreaming , come allong in (hopefully) a next factory vistit and you will see why a Cali can not be build in 7 hours like a Land Rover (Defender?)

Back