Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6 Ocean + New California Owner + Help for New Owners

Hello Dean,
Great report. If you were to fit an internal liner to the pop up roof I think you will find that it will make all the difference. Heat rises and the liner is very effective at keeping it in. Either Comfortz or Brandrup do them. Also one of the Cali pop top roof toppers will improve it still further. Again Comfortz do these.
Have a great time and I hope you have many adventures in it/she/he.

In the Ocean manual it describes the digital speedo as alternate speed value. you can only turn it off. So it tells you KM if you have the UK speedo & i presume MPH if you have a euro speedo?
Can you not change the units of the MFD through the radio head unit?

image.jpeg We've had our new T6 204 Ocean (4x4, manual) for one week. Drives much better and engine quieter than T5 California. Only one problem; the water gauge shows tank is full when it's empty. Van is going in next week for this to be remedied. The table rattles too when put away against the cupboards when driving. I'll get the dealers to look at this too.

I'm pleased to say that we can still get our Thule storage box attached to the tow bar underneath the bike rack so will have plenty of space for our long tour to Switzerland and France in July/August

By the way, the number plate is our old T5 if you're wondering why it looks like a 2012 van.

View attachment 12449 We've had our new T6 204 Ocean (4x4, manual) for one week. Drives much better and engine quieter than T5 California. Only one problem; the water gauge shows tank is full when it's empty. Van is going in next week for this to be remedied. The table rattles too when put away against the cupboards when driving. I'll get the dealers to look at this too.

I'm pleased to say that we can still get our Thule storage box attached to the tow bar underneath the bike rack so will have plenty of space for our long tour to Switzerland and France in July/August

By the way, the number plate is our old T5 if you're wondering why it looks like a 2012 van.

Nice van, tempted by the storage box myself. Do eurotunnel charge extra for that or does this just come under the bike carrier option?

Our table has just started to rattle but need to look into it as we may not have put back in correctly.

jhgf
My table rattles when driving too. As on a long trip I've currently shoved a dog crate cover down the gap and it works a treat. But will put it on a list for the dealer :thumb

jhgf
My table rattles when driving too. As on a long trip I've currently shoved a dog crate cover down the gap and it works a treat. But will put it on a list for the dealer :thumb
This may sound daft but have you housed it correctly? When you slide the table back between the seat and the fridge you have to push it towards the fridge at the same time to enable it the locate on the housing fitting. If you don't do this it will rattle.
Look under the table when its out and at the side wall of the fridge and it should become obvious how it works. You should hear it locate on the fitting when its housed correctly.

Thanks Borris have removed the wedge and will test it when on the road to Sunday lunch with the folks tomorrow.

Under the table is a (white) soft vilt button glued ....comes of frequent , even when new
Could cause ratlles

View attachment 12449 We've had our new T6 204 Ocean (4x4, manual) for one week. Drives much better and engine quieter than T5 California. Only one problem; the water gauge shows tank is full when it's empty. Van is going in next week for this to be remedied. The table rattles too when put away against the cupboards when driving. I'll get the dealers to look at this too.

This may sound daft but have you housed it correctly? When you slide the table back between the seat and the fridge you have to push it towards the fridge at the same time to enable it the locate on the housing fitting. If you don't do this it will rattle.
Look under the table when its out and at the side wall of the fridge and it should become obvious how it works. You should hear it locate on the fitting when its housed correctly.

We had the afore mentioned table rattle in our T5 California but cured it with a good old shove to get it in the correct stored position. Alas this is not working with our new pride and joy

J

Nice van, tempted by the storage box myself. Do eurotunnel charge extra for that or does this just come under the bike carrier option?

Our table has just started to rattle but need to look into it as we may not have put back in correctly.

Eurotunnel haven't minded on two occasions now. It does not stick out further than the bike rack. All I do is add a metre to the quoted length of the vehicle.

J

Wow, great revi
Picked up our new California on Tuesday 1st March.

Hopefully this will help other or get feedback on some of my questions/issues? Sorry for the waffle!

T6 Ocean - 204 DSG
  • Indium Grey
  • Black Awning
  • Lights & Vision
  • Cruise Control
  • Front & Rear Parking Sensors
  • Large Radio/Media Display
  • App Connect
  • Removable Towbar
  • Fresher intake system
  • Lockable Storage
  • Storage Net
  • Shower
The van was bought from Vindis Van Centre in Northampton, easy purchase, helped through the options we'd need, easy correspondence by email. We tried to keep the options to a minimum to keep the price down. Changed the finance 3 times due to a better offer right up until purchase.

Spec Regrets;
  • Initially I thought not having a parking camera was a mistake but the parking sensor display is perfectly fine, probably the best I have used.
  • Also wondered about the multi function steering wheel but everything is easily assesible so not worried.
  • 4 wheel drive - time will tell!! but was going to buy some traction mats and in the future maybe some winter tyres
Initial Setup;
  • Bought the 907 Calor Gas bottle ÂŁ3 of eBay empty and a ÂŁ30 refill, easy fit. Stove checked and worked out how to use fine, just need to ensure the stove gas button is pressed when igniting the gas and it stays lit fine. The gas also needs to be turned on in the cab, this is located until the stove and the leaver shouldn't be aligned along the pipe if you want the gas on.
  • Drinking Water, I bought a food grade hose from amazon and filled up to full. However the leaver to empty this which is above the gas bottle was slightly open so just needed to close this to fill it! The indicator in the cab showed this was full. After the weekend and a bit of use it was showing as 1 bar so need to double check this as didn't use too much water.
  • Electric hookup, we had a hookup extension already from camping. Bought a 3 pin plug socket from amazon and plugged this into the house. Took me a few mins to realise the electric cap actually went into the slot into the van and the blue leaver kept this in place. I initially thought I had to bend this cap right back! Also make sure the electric fuse box is turned on. This is above the gas bottle with the fresh water leaver.
  • Waste water ensure the leaver is in the closed position located under the gas burners in the bottom cupboard.
  • App Connect, still need to work this out. It seemed a bit flakey turning off randomly for music. The USB socket I thought should be in the little dash opening rather than the big glove box. I'm not sure if wireless is available yet?? Apple music and Spotify seem fine but Deezer was a bit flakey. I prefer my TomTom for Navigation on my iPhone but tried Apple Maps. Maybe just need to try this a bit more.
  • I use a Kenu Airframe on the fan grill with the fan turned off to hold the iPhone. This works great with the usb from the small underneath cupboard.
  • I bought some very small Cigarette Lighter to twin USB sockets that only just come over the socket by a few mm. They power all the iPhones, iPads from the various sockets. Still working out where these sockets all are? Some are not in the best places but all workable.
  • The fridge we started on the setting 3 but lowered as we like drink cold so lowered to 1.
  • Not used the 3 pin or euro socket.
  • Not used the shower.
Extra's Bought;
  • QTM Grey full set of mats.
  • Bungee for bellows - Not fitted yet.
  • VW Plastic mats, not used but should of done as it was muddy.
  • Spare wheel lock - fitted and easy to install
  • Wind deflectors - not fitted yet
  • Rear bumper black guard - not fitted yet
  • Waterproof covers - not fitted yet
  • Vango Aibeam Galli - not arrived yet
Extra's thinking of buying;
  • VW Cycle Carrier
  • Step Mats
  • Worktop protection
  • Rear mattress water proof covers
  • Mattress topper for lower bed
  • heater for top bed
First Main Use;

I was running an Ultra Run in Bristol and my partner/kids said they would support and we'd stay over the night at a local campsite so decided this would be our first trip.
  • Driving;
The drive and power of the DSG 204 is great. High speeds on the motorway are fine, quick acceleration at roundabouts also no issues. The drive is smooth and no rattles, visibility is great with the rear windows and mirrors. It was raining an the sensitivity of the wipers was great. Only used half a tank of fuel so far and average fuel consumption from the MFD says is 34.9mpg and rising. The Multi Function Display thinks we'll get approx 500 miles on 1 tank but obviously dependant on where/how we drive. We were mainly motorways 2 hours each way and country/main road driving for another hour each way.

Everything is fairly easy to use on the controls, radio/media is a great interface. Aircon/Heating and Heated seats are all good. It was cold but the heating at the front and rear was so much better than our car. Often too hot.

If you do long distance run the heated seats are amazing for soothing the back and glutes!

Front and rear drinks holders are great as well.

If you like lots of drinks, sweets and store other things, there are loads of assessable pockets everywhere around the driver to hand.

One question the MFD dos the speed in KM/H, can this be changed?? The dial is in Mile/H so not a big issue.

All in all while I was out running my family had a great time relaxing, eating, playing games and keeping warm!
  • Camping
We have 4 in the van and a dog so there is never going to be a lot of room. During the day is fine with the roof up/table up/seats swivelled. Night time if your just in the van with no awning you have to be careful how much stuff you cram in the boot as it all needs to come out or moved elsewhere to get the bed down.

Seats - The front seats swivel fine and initially you need to take it very slow to work out what position you need to be in, rush and you risk scratching the sides.

Roof/Beds all these are easy to put out. The roof bed is the comfiest, the lower bed really does need a topper or something unless you like the bed really hard but fine for a night.

Heater - The heater is great for downstairs, even on setting 1 heats up everything fine with a low outside temperature. You do get the occasional clicking noise from from the front but believe this is normal. Upstairs however it does stay cool, maybe the heater does take the chill off but for kids maybe the cali-cosy or a mini heater upstairs is needed to take the chill off. Any ideas??

Storage net - ÂŁ150 is a lot of money, not sure why I ordered it but it does have it's use for more storage at night and during the day with the roof up so not a total waste.

Roof - This goes up and down easy, I plan to put the bungee cord on but the creases in the roof keep this in the right place when going down so far.

Blinds - All the blinds are easy to use, the front ones take a couple of goes to get right but we know how to do it now making sure you can lower the blinds afterwards and get the connectors over the drivers mirror. All blinds accept the front doors are pull down/up/across blinds, the front door are magnetic clothe blinds. You also get a free cigarette lighter torch which is very bright and useful.

Still to work out;
  • How long can we run for on leisure batteries?
  • MFD Km/H or M/H, can this be changed?
  • App connect? Its got potential but need to work it out?
  • Keeping upstairs bed warm?
There is loads to say/think about but really is a great campervan and still lots to learn.......

View attachment 12341

View attachment 12342

View attachment 12343

View attachment 12344

View attachment 12345

View attachment 12346

View attachment 12347

View attachment 12348

View attachment 12349

View attachment 12350

Wow great write up, no need for anyone to search any further if they need to know anything about the T6 204! :thumb

Can you not change the units of the MFD through the radio head unit?

not on the headunit, only in the MFD but it's only going to change the trip units. The digital speedo is for alternate speed reading. I like it, will be easier for quick glance when in Europe for me. You can only only have 1 MFD value showing only & I usually have the miles until fill up showing anyway.

Yes +1 for this. There is a "right" way and a "wrong" way to put the table back when finished.
Unfortunately after over 6 years of ownership my lovely wife still puts it back the "wrong" way!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I found a thread on here about two years ago about changing the units on the display - You need to plug in the computer & code your van as if it came from a different country, I think it was Australia which still let you toggle between KMH and MPH but you could get the MPH up in large letters.

Van looks great - many adventures ahead for you.
Just a quick question, with the box on the towbar, can you open the tailgate? Does it swing out of the way?

Thanks Borris - no rattles whilst driving today :bananadance

Back