Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

680 new wheels and All Terrain tyres

Had mine fitted from new easy install for the tech costs around £600 all in ie Jack, tools, carrier, wheels and tyre. Fitted. It works on a wind out sling from inside the van so quite secure.
Was this a DIY fit or done professionally? I'm thinking a good idea if touring outside of the UK.

Was this a DIY fit or done professionally? I'm thinking a good idea if touring outside of the UK.
Hi it’s a VW OEM Crafter part so your dealer will be able to source and fit. Not so tempting to try to steal.

Thanks Mike for setting the trend, we just changed to a Rogue Alloy wheel weight rated and all season Grabber AT3 tyre combination

View attachment 88438

View attachment 88439
177b8d155c53b430c8d57cf75878651a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

each person like different, I do not like you new wheel complete - is not elegant for holiday camper, is look same than lady not make hair nice and not make - up nice face lipstick and painting face for cocktail evening elegant party, but take lady who is not care for nice appearance.

if you are like and happy then is you camper and all is matter.
H - love your posts. V funny.

After much changing of mind I've finally sorted the new wheels and tyres for our van. I had 2 main reasons for wanting to change:

1. (In my opinion) the proportions of the standard van look all wrong as the wheels look so tiny in comparison to the huge van body. A bit like a body builder with really skinny legs.. I kept trying to convince myself that I would eventually get used to the look, and honesty I tried, but in the end I'm afraid I failed and the bodybuilder has been forced onto the squat machine.

2. Winter grip. Damn these vans are big and heavy and I kept seeing us ploughing through a hedge on a frosty morning and as we intend to use the van throughout the winter winter tyres were definitely on the shopping list.

I tried using Google to figure out what the best solution was but I got lots of conflicting information and opinions so hence the multiple changes of mind
So in the end I spoke to the good people at Rogue Alloy Wheels and they set my mind at rest and supplied and fitted what I hope is the perfect solution. The wheels are their own brand 18 inchers and the tyres are General Grabber At3's.

So far so good - the ride is slightly firmer (in a good way) and the van has lost a lot of that "soggy" feeling through corners and the steering feels slightly more direct. I didn't notice any increase in road noise and now the speedo reads the same as the GPS. No frost or snow yet so I can't comment on the grip.

Overall very happy with the "upgrade" and they didn't break the bank either.

Sorry I only took one quick snap of them - see below but if anyone wants any closeups I can post them next week. Please let me know.

BTW if there are any traffic wardens amongst you I apologise profusely as I'm parked on the double yellows opposite our house in the picture
b5115620b663e6de89c9e115fb69ac23.jpg

Hi ive done something similar with mine as I felt the standard wheels look wrong.

But here's the thing! ive been having lot of different issues with various bits, panel, pump, step, house battery, fridge, bathroom light , but the my biggest bug bear is the rattling overhead cupboards , when my van went in for its first service at Wooburn Green they did nothing to resolved the issue when I challenged them on this it seems its my fault for fitting non standard wheels and tyres.(be careful)

The catches are poor and the hinges are sub standard .

The wheels and tyres were sourced and fitted by a reputable company and are uk road legal also the ride now is smooth with little increase in road noise.

Mac

Hi ive done something similar with mine as I felt the standard wheels look wrong.

But here's the thing! ive been having lot of different issues with various bits, panel, pump, step, house battery, fridge, bathroom light , but the my biggest bug bear is the rattling overhead cupboards , when my van went in for its first service at Wooburn Green they did nothing to resolved the issue when I challenged them on this it seems its my fault for fitting non standard wheels and tyres.(be careful)

The wheels and tyres were sourced and fitted by a reputable company and are uk road legal also the ride now is smooth with little increase in road noise.

Mac
Very strange if all was fine with the standard wheels.

As I mentioned above, I think our van drives slightly 'firmer' but that's not a scientific evaluation and it could be a placebo effect.. No additional road noise and no additional noise from inside the van.

I don't have any issues with the cupboard catches and closers. From the look of them, they are fairly generic items that can be adjusted quite easily if the doors are not closing properly.

We also use quite a lot of packing when we travel in order to minimise any rattling.

So Happy with the choice we made and it’s enabled us to ‘go out and about‘ without any problems in the wet and very muddy conditions over the last few weeks.

36DE7BE9-16F3-4758-9B5E-DB07F5DC41B9.jpeg

Mac
I would push back at Wooburn over this. Worse case have you still got the original wheels? Could always put them back on to aid in sorting cupboard issues out.
Oh and this is for sale at Wooburn so guess these non standard wheels are ok?

I would push back at Wooburn over this. Worse case have you still got the original wheels? Could always put them back on to aid in sorting cupboard issues out.
Oh and this is for sale at Wooburn so guess these non standard wheels are ok?

The fact that the Dealership has a vehicle for sale with non-VW wheels/tyres is immaterial. The VW warranty is on the vehicle as supplied. If the wheels/tyres are replaced for non-VW wheels, despite them being road legal for that vehicle then I'm afraid VW are perfectly within their right to refuse a warranty claim relating to anything affected by that change even though it maybe considered an upgrade or improvement.
Also, I believe, there is a time limit of 3 or 6 months on the reporting of rattles/squeaks etc on a new vehicle under the warranty.

Greetings all to yet another day of government lies and broken promises - but I digress -my wheels and tyres have been swapped out with 16" wheels and 115 rated General Grabber At3's.
Pic's below - and I think they look great
A big thank you to Rogue Alloy Wheels for sorting this out without any quibbles!

This only leaves one job on my "to-do" list - LPG gas conversion.
I'm thinking of a single Safefill 11kg plastic bottle.
Seems straightforward enough my only query is if it permitted to fill a loose bottle on a garage forecourt or not.
Does anyone have any experience of these?

The message on their website is a bit ambiguous

LPG is now available on many petrol station forecourts however as the industry has had concerns about people illegally filling rented cylinders, you may be refused in many of these until the Safefill message has been completely understood, which is an ongoing process.
39cda1150a86d164fea6f9fa4bff9f1f.jpg
98c751e30643c71f866382a26014b4db.jpg
a484ce17062035a422994ed20b265ce2.jpg
595050f933694ef273f47f9ef2242c47.jpg

Hi
Greetings all to yet another day of government lies and broken promises - but I digress -my wheels and tyres have been swapped out with 16" wheels and 115 rated General Grabber At3's.
Pic's below - and I think they look great
A big thank you to Rogue Alloy Wheels for sorting this out without any quibbles!

This only leaves one job on my "to-do" list - LPG gas conversion.
I'm thinking of a single Safefill 11kg plastic bottle.
Seems straightforward enough my only query is if it permitted to fill a loose bottle on a garage forecourt or not.
Does anyone have any experience of these?

The message on their website is a bit ambiguous

LPG is now available on many petrol station forecourts however as the industry has had concerns about people illegally filling rented cylinders, you may be refused in many of these until the Safefill message has been completely understood, which is an ongoing process.
39cda1150a86d164fea6f9fa4bff9f1f.jpg
98c751e30643c71f866382a26014b4db.jpg
a484ce17062035a422994ed20b265ce2.jpg
595050f933694ef273f47f9ef2242c47.jpg

Hi ...trying to sort order for this wheel tyre combo from rogue alloys... Do you remember the exact alloy....looks like the 16inch CC1 from their website....correct?
And, have you had cause to be in a wet field on these AT tyres?...I nearly got stuck with the standard VW tyres on a slope with slightly wet grass. I would hope the AT tyres would perform rather better.
Regards

Mpill990...had exactly the same fitted to my 680 today. Driving the 70 miles back home, on motorway, A and B roads I can honestly say that I felt no excess rumble from the AT tyres. Infact they felt just as smooth as the contivans fitted by VW factory. Im hoping the difference will become apparent on a soggy grass campsite! By the way any one want to buy a set of 4000 mile lissmore VW alloys shod with contivans?

Mpill990...had exactly the same fitted to my 680 today. Driving the 70 miles back home, on motorway, A and B roads I can honestly say that I felt no excess rumble from the AT tyres. Infact they felt just as smooth as the contivans fitted by VW factory. Im hoping the difference will become apparent on a soggy grass campsite! By the way any one want to buy a set of 4000 mile lissmore VW alloys shod with contivans?
Morning Leeb good to hear all sounds good and no other effects, by the way dazzlerpronto could be possibly interested as he contacted me about mine.

Pictures would be nice to see! Glad to hear they don’t add anything noticeable in the way of road noise. New wheels definitely on my to do list once my GC arrives.

Overall really pleased with the wheels tyre's and as you say no noticeable increase in road noise.
I haven't tried them across a muddy field yet but I would expect them to offer a bit more grip than the standard tyre's but how much more is hard to say as these vans are pretty damn heavy so the weight is not going to help as you are going to sink

I’ve had BFGs on my last joker, great for off road/snow was good too, not getting punchers (side walls super strong), plus tread wear was very good.
I would say that that they are a lot noisier on motorways, make the turning heavier and mpg isn’t great. Again high vehicles will never be that quiet and the noise from BFG was fine for me too (but the noise rating doesn’t lie).
They look great though.

Still tempted by them, will see how the Michelin latitude m/s perform on my new van.

According to the people at Rogue Alloy 's the BFG's are not very good in the wet. That's why I went for the General Grabber's and they seem fine on wet roads..

According to the people at Rogue Alloy 's the BFG's are not very good in the wet. That's why I went for the General Grabber's and they seem fine on wet roads..

Didn’t find any issues with them, no spin up or skidding under hard braking in the wet. Not rated good wet though.
Had GG on my old defender great tyres

Overall really pleased with the wheels tyre's and as you say no noticeable increase in road noise.
I haven't tried them across a muddy field yet but I would expect them to offer a bit more grip than the standard tyre's but how much more is hard to say as these vans are pretty damn heavy so the weight is not going to help as you are going to sink

Can I ask if you fitted them or had them fitted? Maybe same question to @leeb ? I am going to press the button today and was thiniking how I get the wheels to a tyre place or maybe get a mobile guy in.
I’ve no problem changing wheels (might not be a bad idea to check the torque on the nuts based on experience) not sure of the jack quality (does it have one) on the 680!

Also anyone know where the compressor is supposed to live? I noticed mine didn’t have one in the kit in passenger footwell and couldn’t find one so got the dealer to give me one, he had no idea where it was supposed to go

edit: ordered this evening then realised I have Tyre pressure Monitoring system.

I have asked Rogue if they can sort and fit new compatible valves before shipping. Anyone else done this?

Last edited:
I found the answers to some of my questions via other forum threads (where is my compressor supposed to live for example)

Rogue have come back to me and not seen TPMS on these vehicles before. They are looking into it now so that answers the question what did others do so far! onwards, hope they are compatible as the TPMS seem to have a larger valve orifice than I recall other wheels having.

If std valves fitted then I think the system permanently errors which would not work

Hi Phil
I found the answers to some of my questions via other forum threads (where is my compressor supposed to live for example)

Rogue have come back to me and not seen TPMS on these vehicles before. They are looking into it now so that answers the question what did others do so far! onwards, hope they are compatible as the TPMS seem to have a larger valve orifice than I recall other wheels having.

If std valves fitted then I think the system permanently errors which would not work
Hi Phil,

I have VW TPMS fitted to my Borbet C3’s and they show an error when the tyres are + - by about •3 of a bar but then settle. No error code left.

Will

Can I ask if you fitted them or had them fitted? Maybe same question to @leeb ? I am going to press the button today and was thiniking how I get the wheels to a tyre place or maybe get a mobile guy in.
I’ve no problem changing wheels (might not be a bad idea to check the torque on the nuts based on experience) not sure of the jack quality (does it have one) on the 680!

Also anyone know where the compressor is supposed to live? I noticed mine didn’t have one in the kit in passenger footwell and couldn’t find one so got the dealer to give me one, he had no idea where it was supposed to go

edit: ordered this evening then realised I have Tyre pressure Monitoring system.

I have asked Rogue if they can sort and fit new compatible valves before shipping. Anyone else done this?
I drove to Rogue (in Reading) and they fitted them for me.
A bit of a debacle finding them as their registered office is actually their accountant's address but all good otherwise

Back