Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NHS

You lot are unreal! What was the opening thread? It was someone saying thanks and showing appreciation for NHS.
why not keep it that way
If you read the thread then you would understand :thumb

The thing about internet forums is that no-one gets to say where any particular thread will end up (except that they all finally end up somewhere in the vicinity of Brexit).

I'm sure NHS staff would be happy with the shout-outs at the top of this forum - and I for one would be happy to echo them now. But I'm guessing most of them are too busy to be reading this and in any case they would be fine about members of the public debating how our health service should be run in the future. It isn't, literally, a sacred cow even though some people think it's a social crime to criticise any part of it.

If you haven’t seen it I would recommend listening to Professor Sarah Gilbert who was on the Andrew Marr show this morning.
Expert on vaccines from Oxford University.

Mike

If you haven’t seen it I would recommend listening to Professor Sarah Gilbert who was on the Andrew Marr show this morning.
Expert on vaccines from Oxford University.

Mike

Yes, she was very level headed, clear & concise in her explanation & answers to questions. A breath of fresh air.

Yes, she was very level headed, clear & concise in her explanation & answers to questions. A breath of fresh air.

I agree. Unfortunately such grown-up info and analysis still isn't being put out by the government themselves, they are relying on the media to do it, who for the most part are doing what the media do ie find the bad news.

I think the government is so fixated on not straying from the simplistic public health messages (which almost certainly were important in the first stages of the public health measures, but that was weeks ago) that they're forgetting that at least a large proportion of the population is quite capable of assimilating more complex information, and indeed needs balanced insight in order to make sensible forward decisions in their own fields of endeavour eg business or voluntary services. The cabinet seems to think they're fighting an election campaign, not a health emergency.

But it isn't free, its funded by taxation and its been underfunded as people decided to use the money elsewhere.
Really? NHS cost per capita is around £3,700 per annum and national debt is £100,000 per person so it’s really only partly by taxes but heavily dependent on borrowing as are many government services. No government gets elected with the promise of higher taxes so they all end up doing the same...borrowing.

I am a huge fan of the NHS but many of its staff will tell you stories about huge financial inefficiency and waste which is almost impossible to control.

Times like these we all realise how much the nhs do and how much we need the nhs .
If we get Poorly in the uk we can ring a doctor or an ambulance ect and take for granted there’s somebody in the nhs who will help,,,

doctors nurses all of them ........Where all sat at home trying to stay safe while these people are going out putting themselves at risk of catching this deadly virus!!!!!!
So much respect for them it puts a lump in my throat....
If any of you good forum members are part of the nhs god bless you all ,you deserve so much respect!
god bless you all....
Agreed. Lions all of them - led by donkeys. It's shameful - criminal even - that they STILL often don't have sufficient basic protection.

I agree. Unfortunately such grown-up info and analysis still isn't being put out by the government themselves, they are relying on the media to do it, who for the most part are doing what the media do ie find the bad news.

I think the government is so fixated on not straying from the simplistic public health messages (which almost certainly were important in the first stages of the public health measures, but that was weeks ago) that they're forgetting that at least a large proportion of the population is quite capable of assimilating more complex information, and indeed needs balanced insight in order to make sensible forward decisions in their own fields of endeavour eg business or voluntary services. The cabinet seems to think they're fighting an election campaign, not a health emergency.

I tend to agree but understand the government being cautious.

My gut feeling is that the vast majority of people have not only fully complied with the lockdown but started earlier and will go on longer, off setting those that don’t or who look for loopholes. On that basis I would hope that information starts to be released on how, if not exactly when.

I was only speaking to a friend yesterday who works in a University and has been flat out for weeks working out how and when to lift the restrictions. It would have been rude to press him on details but the people looking at this are not stupid. I do though accept that politicians will have the final word but so far I have not seen anything to suggest they are not broadly in sync.

Most on here will continue to follow the guidance given and if anything go beyond them depending on there personal circumstances.

So yes, on balance time to start telling us.

Mike

HS2 is an employment opportunity for thousands and numerous companies. Most of the expenditure will return to the Government in the form of various tax receipts.
At this point in time getting the economy moving is more important.

Welshgas. mebbee read the first post yrself, NHS god bless all of em, first thread page 4 talking about HS2
talk about drifting

HS2 is an employment opportunity for thousands and numerous companies. Most of the expenditure will return to the Government in the form of various tax receipts.
At this point in time getting the economy moving is more important.
Sounds reasonable to me

Welshgas. mebbee read the first post yrself, NHS god bless all of em, first thread page 4 talking about HS2
talk about drifting
I didn’t bring up HS2, keep up with the thread will you!

Having worked in the NHS for some 40+ years I know perfectly well what the frontline staff are doing and are capable of and they are responsible for all that is good about the NHS. Not so senior management . Money shouldn’t just be thrown at the NHS as it needs serious reform in relation to the tiers of management who are basking in the glory of the everyday hard work being done by those who are actually dealing with patients and all those who support them in that endless endeavour.

Maybe when this is all over there will be change for the better and maybe the public at large will appreciate what the frontline staff do for them everyday, not just in a pandemic, and that problems are the responsibility of the 9 to 5 managers and not the poor sods in the trenches, and hold the managers to account.

Banning HS2 and giving the money to the NHS is the worse thing that can happen, in my opinion. Senior management would be rubbing their hands in glee at that prospect.

My own particular take:

The NHS dfrontline staff deserve every applause going.

Going forward, drop the "sacred cow" and look very hard at how for decades the NHS has failed to produce, currently with that huge procurement empire unable to protect its frontline staff.

Our family private health insurance in germany
costs us 832€ per month.

Errm, as they say, you do the math. Lol.

The NHS has some truly wonderful staff who deserves all the praise we can give them, other parts of the NHS, mediocre at best.

I’ve worked as an IT contractor to the NHS, their IT systems were woeful, 10 years behind the private sector. The main reason was the culture, a resistance to change and poor quality staff.

Like much of the public sector, anyone with any drive or talent soon became frustrated and left, any staff that were useless or obstructive were impossible to get rid of. This meant that the only ones left were ‘lifers’ made up of those who would struggle to get a job anywhere else. Even the IT departments was riddled with left wing ideology and identity politics.

Now that the NHS has been elevated to quasi-religious status, I feel that any criticism or suggestion of reform will be even harder for them to accept.

Our family private health insurance in germany
costs us 832€ per month.

Errm, as they say, you do the math. Lol.

I was paying 1,200 USD before I returned from the USA in 2003. I have kept my private medical insurance in place since then, it is now down to £300 per month and all my major healthcare issues since 2003 has been through the private sector.

in 2013, with my immune system shot from cancer treatment I developed a UTI. Within days it became a severe kidney infection. My sister drove me to A&E and I was seen within 30 minutes, admitted to an acute medical ward on the spot, had the most exemplary medical care I have ever known and discharged five days later with care transferred to my GP. Th NHS was incredible. Amazing. Beats anything I had ever experienced I the USA.

My experience of the NHS after a motorbike crash, and a long ICU stay was something else. I nearly died, had terrible injuries, yet when I look back at my time in hospital I think of it as a mostly positive experience.
The nurses who work in ICU are just incredible. They have so much responsibility, and technical knowledge, and they looked after me so well, every minute I was in there and awake. One of them even came to see me at home after I was discharged.
Privatisation could not improve it.

Welsh gas, never said you did, I was merely pointing out that this thread was started one way and ended up with HS2 Trident and should IVF be provided. (Your comment)
The thread was in praise of the folk who work in the NHS. Why not let it stay that way instead of the politics.

Two examples:

In the USA, I had the misfortune to being sprayed with a dilute acid used to clean a building. A bizarre occurrence, no big deal. Normally I would rush home and throw myself under a shower. no: Ambulance, ER, massive overkill, mostly related to me signing disclaimers with every step. I filled out more forms than I do with my annual tax return. Finally, released from the ER to go to an "observation room" I had an ambulance chaser burst in .... I was so P*ssed off I just got dressed and went home. A dreadful occurrence.

2011 Belgium. Major facial reconstruction surgery post cancer, I suddenly threw a wobbly with penicillin. Ambulance, blue lights, throat swollen, eyes bulging, gasping for air, whilst being "saved" I also had someone pestering me for my credit card.

OMG, we have no idea just what a gem our NHS is. Frankly anyone who wants to abuse it, the staff, the medicines, the hospitals, the appointments. the 999 calls.... three strikes and out. Abuse it and off you go , pay for your own healthcare. Time to stop nannying.

Welsh gas, never said you did, I was merely pointing out that this thread was started one way and ended up with HS2 Trident and should IVF be provided. (Your comment)
The thread was in praise of the folk who work in the NHS. Why not let it stay that way instead of the politics.

In many ways the best praise for those in the front line is to point out the incredible job that they do despite the lead weight of being employed by a poorly managed political football..

This thread was mostly to give a nod and say how humbling and heartwarming it is to have these people fighting our corner..

All the people that are hands on taking the risks working stupid hours to save lives while putting there own lives at risk of contracting this terrible virus...

the people that are restricted from seeing there own children baby’s husbands wives ect so they can keep working in this dredfull situation to keep us well and save lives,....
NOT the money men behind it ...

Because comments were made that the NHS needs more money. It doesn’t . It needs management that work for the frontline, to support them and make sure they get what they need and to fight their corner. Money might follow, especially if the consensus is that the NHS treats everybody, even if they are responsible for their own plight eg: Friday night drunks.

Back