Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No charge in leisure batteries ??

Mincepie100

Mincepie100

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
hi
Can any of you clever people help me please , I’ve just bought a brand new 2017 Cali ocean , only covered sub 500 miles , the roof won’t open and the battery icon keeps flashing which I presume indicates no charge going into the batteries , the control panel also had the words start ignition but this made no difference .....
I’m totally dumbfounded and am going to phone my dealer first thing in the morning , just to add to my woes I’m due to go on a family road trip and am worried that it’ll drain the battery entirely ??
Any help would be appreciated

It did worked before yes ?
Is all this on hook-up , with or without engine running ?
Do other things work via the control panel (fridge, heater,...)
Have you tried to reset the control panel?

No not hooked up , but have ordered a hook up which I’m collecting tomorrow morning , we did go to Abersoch last week which was approximately a 2 to 3 hour drive so I would have thought it would have charged up off the engine ? , we haven’t stayed out and the only drain has been the fridge running on that trip ( not stationary) , there was a G on the control panel before that also gave up the ghost.

When there was power to the control panel yesterday , displaying the roof fault I did have a look on this forum and tried resetting by holding the bottom right hand button ( I think ) also tried the bottom right hand button and had a look in the diagnostics in hidden menu and no errors were being displayed .

The G indicated means the altinator is charging the leisure batteries so if that's gone out I guess there is an issue, have you looked at the diagnostics on the control panel?

If the roof does not operate whit the engine running and you can not see any fault codes in the control panel menu and the controlpanel works fine woth other features , take it to your dealer (warrenty) and see what he says....

And make sure you let us know what he said .....we are very curios.

Why you don't have a hook-up cable yet ? A must have !

Literally 2 weeks old and not been on an overnight stay , Wil give them a ring tomorrow and post their answer on thread ....:(:(:(:(

Literally 2 weeks old and not been on an overnight stay , Wil give them a ring tomorrow and post their answer on thread ....:(:(:(:(
So the Control Panel WAS showing the G icon when the engine was running initially?

If the G no longer shows then one of 2 things has happened.
1. Split Charge relay has failed so the Alternator cannot charge the Leisure Batteries .
2. The 80 amp fuse between the relay and the Leisure Battery circuit has blown so once again the Leisure Batteries are no longer being charged

The Roof etc: will not work without sufficient charge in the Leisure Batteries .

I believe there have been some reports about faulty 80 amp fuses that failed at a lower current rating.

The fuse is a LARGE Brown coloured fuse under the Front Passenger seat.

Its under warranty - get the Dealer to check that fuse first.

Will do , thanks , would you then try hooking up ?
I’m picking up a 13amp plug to blue plug adaptor and 25mtr cable in the morning , not setting off until about 3pm with hope I can pump some juice back into batteries .. thank you all again .

Yeah if the fuse is the issue, I went out and bought a big box of fuses after my fat fingers lost one doing some tests, top tip to have them in a cali

Hi all
Well after checking fuses , buying electric hook-ups and (my best find of the day IMO) electric hook up to 13amp 3 pin extension lead I left the vehicle charging overnight , after checking everything the next morning and a couple of phone calls to VW Liverpool I decided to keep using the van as I had a road trip to York planned , fantastic trip but still the batteries appear not to be charging , I’ve taken the van back to VW and told asked them to investigate further and not to ring me until everything is sorted !!
Will update further ......arghhhhhh!!

lead I left the vehicle charging overnight ,
might be a silly question have you switch the power on in the rear cupboard (charging /using the power)
have you ever put the roof up ie has it ever worked.

Not a silly question , I tried to eliminate various reasons , I ended up last weekend with literally no power even to the roof - dead as a door nail .

The only thing I can thin’ of is that I had a Towbar fitted by the dealership and the guy who collected the van said that the wipers didn’t work for a bit and that they had to investigate and rectify this as well , might have something to do with it ?

If they've blown a several fuses wipers etc including an 80amp one for the split charge I'd be worried that they had messed up the install to be honest. At least the fuses did their job I guess.

Right ..... finally got my beloved Cali back this morning - apparently a 100amp fuse had blown and the only thing they could think of was that there was a fault in the fuse .... at least they’ve sorted it !!
on the upside VW in Speke and Ann in particular was really sympathetic and efficient in the way they handled the issue , so a big thumbs up to them.

Time for a large Hendricks and tonic now !!

Please let us know where that 100amp fuse was located.....

It was under the seat in an “inaccessible “ area that I wouldn’t have found apparently

I think they have got that slightly wrong. I think it is an 80 amp Fuse which is located under the front passenger seat. I’m sure I have read somewhere that there was a batch of these fuses that blew at an incorrect lower amp rating and had to be replaced.

Last edited:
Seems they replace them with 100amps one ....better safe than sorry some VW dealers think....:D
Oh boy....

Better than the old 6" nail fix?
Pretty sure if I put a 100Amp one in place of an 80Amp one and burned some part out VW would say I'd voided the warranty.