Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No power to 5amp fuse for sink water pump.

James Malone

James Malone

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi,
The water pump on our T6 Ocean has stopped working. Initial investigations included checking the 5amp fuse at the holder under the left seat box. The fuse is good. With the aid of an ammeter, I have discovered there is no power feeding the holder. (Fuse 20 in fuse holder H -SH20-). All the other devices fed from this holder are working normally i.e. central control panel, fridge, auxillary heater, lighting etc.

I have also checked associated fuses (fuse 34, fuse 54 and fuse 55, "Operating and display for camping equipment") in the Fuse and relay holder in centre of the dash panel. All appear to be good.

I assume there must be a bad relay somewhere in the circuit. And if so, which one and where is it?

Both batteries appear to be good. There is a deep discharge device protecting the batteries so I have charged them according to the vehicle manual.

I am reluctant to take the vehicle back to VW under it's warranty due to previous poor service experienced at the dealerships.

Any suggestions or thoughts will be gratefully welcome.

Many thanks,
James.

I am reluctant to take the vehicle back to VW under it's warranty due to previous poor service experienced at the dealerships.

Surley if it is not the fuze then that's what the warrenty is for, Find a dealership that you trust is the way forward as will need to go in at some point during your ownership.

Surley if it is not the fuze then that's what the warrenty is for, Find a dealership that you trust is the way forward as will need to go in at some point during your ownership.

Hi Andy,
Thank you for your reply.
We're reluctant to take the vehicle back to VW due to the problem, possibly a short circuit, being simple to repair.
Further information on our initial thread, the circuit at fault must come directly from one of the additional batteries as the ignition does not have to be on to operate the sink pump. The same must apply to the auxilary heater circuit, so it cant be that complicated. (Famous last words).

We know it's a bit of a lottery to which dealership to use, therefore no guarantee of the level of expertise/competence received. On previous occasions we have trusted the dealership to carry out repairs. After several days waiting for the vehicle, it has been returned with either the fault uncorrected or additional faults which it had obtained whilst in in their possesion. Customer services are hopeless.

Have you had a positive experience of a dealership, and if so, would you recommend it?
We are willing to travel anywhere just to receive a decent service.

Best wishes
James.

James, My personal view is a good service and help from Breeze Totton Southampton including a wiring issue (rat eaten some wires) others consider SMG know the Cali well although I felt let down as they could not find a fault for me (moo valve) but Breeze fixed 1st attempt. If you post where you are I am sure others may be able to inform you "good" and not so good near you.

James, My personal view is a good service and help from Breeze Totton Southampton including a wiring issue (rat eaten some wires) others consider SMG know the Cali well although I felt let down as they could not find a fault for me (moo valve) but Breeze fixed 1st attempt. If you post where you are I am sure others may be able to inform you "good" and not so good near you.

Thanks Andy.

If I have no joy over the next few days reference to the fault, I will contact the above dealerships for their help.
We are located in the West Midlands.
All recomendations/ or not will be very wecome.

Once again,
Many thanks,
James

Vw leics, Parkway Group, have just fixed my inoperable sink tap, it was the micro switch so not the same cause as yours. They have always done a good job on my servicing and warranty repairs. They can usually do stuff within a couple of days when you ring up and you can take it in yourself, but if you want it collecting and a loan car you may to wait a few weeks.
The sales side is another matter................

South Hereford VW is ? Closer.

Hi,
The water pump on our T6 Ocean has stopped working. Initial investigations included checking the 5amp fuse at the holder under the left seat box. The fuse is good. With the aid of an ammeter, I have discovered there is no power feeding the holder. (Fuse 20 in fuse holder H -SH20-). All the other devices fed from this holder are working normally i.e. central control panel, fridge, auxillary heater, lighting etc.

I have also checked associated fuses (fuse 34, fuse 54 and fuse 55, "Operating and display for camping equipment") in the Fuse and relay holder in centre of the dash panel. All appear to be good.

I assume there must be a bad relay somewhere in the circuit. And if so, which one and where is it?

Both batteries appear to be good. There is a deep discharge device protecting the batteries so I have charged them according to the vehicle manual.

Any suggestions or thoughts will be gratefully welcome.

Many thanks,
James.

A small load such as the water pump won't need a relay. You seem fairly competent with your voltmeter.
Find the T5 current flow diagram on this website and follow the route back. This should help solve the issue.

Try putting a temp supply on the the fuse and check the system functions as it should.

Right, that's you sorted, back to my martini.

P.

Are you sure you are looking at the right fuse. VW seem to change the fuse layout randomly.

Thanks Andy.

If I have no joy over the next few days reference to the fault, I will contact the above dealerships for their help.
We are located in the West Midlands.
All recomendations/ or not will be very wecome.

Once again,
Many thanks,
James

I would also recommend South Hereford who have been excellent right the way through from advice, to purchase to a small warranty repair. About 60 miles from you. Good luck, Simon

A small load such as the water pump won't need a relay. You seem fairly competent with your voltmeter.
Find the T5 current flow diagram on this website and follow the route back. This should help solve the issue.

Try putting a temp supply on the the fuse and check the system functions as it should.

Right, that's you sorted, back to my martini.

P.

Hi sidepod,

That's exactly what I need. A current flow diagram.
I found the T5 diagram on this website and have down loaded it.
What I cant find on the diagam is any sign of the Fuse holder H-SH- or any any of the assosiated links to it, ie the water pump for the sink.
Apologies. Am I missing something here?
I will pop to my local dealers to try to persuade them in supplying an up to date T6 Current Flow Chart for our vehicle. Fingers crossed.

A big thanks to Andy, Welshgas, Snowy55, Raggerdroy, Simon B and yourself for all your replies and help.

Best wishes,
James.

Are you sure you are looking at the right fuse. VW seem to change the fuse layout randomly.
Hi Raggerdroy,
Yes, definitely the correct fuse and holder.
I've managed to get hold of an "Overwiew of fuse holders" for our current model. All diagrams and fuses appear in their correct locations.

Best wishes
James.

Hi,
The water pump on our T6 Ocean has stopped working.

Hi James,
I'd be interested to know what the symptoms are for this - does the tap click when you turn it on? Was this intermittent? It may be something as simple as a faulty microswitch in the tap - it's quite a common failure (unexpected on such a new vehicle but worth checking). Assuming it's a similar setup to both the late T4 and the more recent T5 you should find an electrical connector block under the sink, near the bottom of the tap, you could disconnect this and complete the circuit back to the pump to check that. If the pump works then your tap is at fault. If that's the case then it's a warranty claim and even the worst dealership should be able to manage a direct replacement part. You'd hope.
Let us know how you go.

Listers coventry have a cali master tech & i can not fault teir work. I think a few others on here say the same.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi James,
I'd be interested to know what the symptoms are for this - does the tap click when you turn it on? Was this intermittent? It may be something as simple as a faulty microswitch in the tap - it's quite a common failure (unexpected on such a new vehicle but worth checking). Assuming it's a similar setup to both the late T4 and the more recent T5 you should find an electrical connector block under the sink, near the bottom of the tap, you could disconnect this and complete the circuit back to the pump to check that. If the pump works then your tap is at fault. If that's the case then it's a warranty claim and even the worst dealership should be able to manage a direct replacement part. You'd hope.
Let us know how you go.

Hi mrcheesbrough,

I did an continueity test on the sink tap initialy with an ameter and found it was working normally. I then went to the pump connecter where 12.5 volts was being read when the tap was in the on position and no volts when the tap was in the closed position. Normal. I then tested the pump by connecting it to an 12 volt battery. The pump operated perfectly. Hmmm?

Just as an after thought, I did what you suggested by shorting across the sink switch. Hey presto! Pump operating and water at the sink.
Strange that I had voltage at the pump when the sink micoswitch was connected. Can't figure out why it didn't work. Any thoughts please. (van only 2 months old)

New pump ordered with South Hereford VW.

Thank you and Andy for your advice.
I will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Jim.

+1 for dirty contacts. You could try pulling the tap lever up and down a number of times to see if that clears it.

Alan

Hi mrcheesbrough,

I did an continueity test on the sink tap initialy with an ameter and found it was working normally. I then went to the pump connecter where 12.5 volts was being read when the tap was in the on position and no volts when the tap was in the closed position. Normal. I then tested the pump by connecting it to an 12 volt battery. The pump operated perfectly. Hmmm?

Just as an after thought, I did what you suggested by shorting across the sink switch. Hey presto! Pump operating and water at the sink.
Strange that I had voltage at the pump when the sink micoswitch was connected. Can't figure out why it didn't work. Any thoughts please. (van only 2 months old)

New pump ordered with South Hereford VW.

Thank you and Andy for your advice.
I will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Jim.
Hi Jim,

I had precisely this with my T4, obviously it's somewhat older but it turned out to be the microswitch in the tap that had 'sooted' up. It's unlikely that the switch is 'sooted' in yours as it's only a couple of months old, but the switch is very small and could have a manufacturing fault that has come to light through a bit of use. As your pump works when directly connected to 12V and by completing the circuit where the tap connects I don't think that is at fault. I would suggest that as your warranty is still intact and lengthy that you put this in the hands of a dealership. It would be a shame to void any future support you're eligible to.

Phil.

image.jpeg

I changed the pump last year on ours assuming it had failed but it turned out to be the microswitch which is easy to check if you pull / prise the handle off the tap there is a switch similar to the one in this photo. Luckily for me the small 'u' shaped piece was not connected properly at one end, so using thin pliers popped it back on and normal service resumed. Same happened this weekend, easily fixed. Note it still 'clicked' normally so this didn't help diagnose the fault. If you do check this remember to put the plug in first so you don't lose a piece down the plug hole ;)

Hey. We have same issue - new T6 with very unreliable water supply - sounds a lot like the switch. How 'easy' is it to prise open the tap? I've tried and it seems a bit easy to break it. We are on a big road trip now and it's a pain without and not sure stopping in a dealer (Cornwall thru to Scotland) will be a quick solution. Thanks.

Hey. We have same issue - new T6 with very unreliable water supply - sounds a lot like the switch. How 'easy' is it to prise open the tap? I've tried and it seems a bit easy to break it. We are on a big road trip now and it's a pain without and not sure stopping in a dealer (Cornwall thru to Scotland) will be a quick solution. Thanks.

On a T6 best not to start DIY .....it comes with a warrenty.
Even abroad , just use botlles insstead the tap until back home.

if you have the shower option at the back you can try the shower , This will reveal if it is the pump itself or just the switch at the tap failing ?

Thanks for the responses, I'll resist pulling it apart. Had thought to try the shower but it's not easy access with bikes on. Will do later though pretty certain its the tap - knock on the side occasionally gets it going. Thanks again. Will report back post repair to close the issue out on the new (6month) vans.

Thanks for that SD5. I did find that the tap came off easy once it was in the open position and a light prise from the bottom of the handle.
Anyway - micro switch seems fine, shorted the connector below the sink and no joy. Switching on at the shower gets the pump going and works as a fix for the sink. Warranty job.....

Back