Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Northern Spain And Portugal Campsite Recommendations

fordyski100

fordyski100

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Taking a 3 week trip to Via Bilbao ,across to Potes (Picos Mountains ) , then heading across to Portugal down to central Portugal Via coast (we think )but open to ideas , then back across middle Spain and back to Bilbao in May/June this year .
If anyone has any tips on good quality scenic campsites and/or places must visit in both Northern Spain or Portugal so that i can put a brief plan together before we depart it would be appreciated .
I have some knowledge of the region but would be grateful to others that have already been here.
Thanks .

Taking a 3 week trip to Via Bilbao ,across to Potes (Picos Mountains ) , then heading across to Portugal down to central Portugal Via coast (we think )but open to ideas , then back across middle Spain and back to Bilbao in May/June this year .
If anyone has any tips on good quality scenic campsites and/or places must visit in both Northern Spain or Portugal so that i can put a brief plan together before we depart it would be appreciated .
I have some knowledge of the region but would be grateful to others that have already been here.
Thanks .
Couple of nice sites in northern Spain:
campinglashortensias.com - Playa da la Franca
campinglapaz.com - Playa de Vidiago
campinglaviorna.com - Potes
camping-ribadesella.com - Ribadesella
We went at Easter - very quiet. Returned the following year in August - nightmare. Very busy along the whole coast - sites full!

Couple of nice sites in northern Spain:
campinglashortensias.com - Playa da la Franca
campinglapaz.com - Playa de Vidiago
campinglaviorna.com - Potes
camping-ribadesella.com - Ribadesella
We went at Easter - very quiet. Returned the following year in August - nightmare. Very busy along the whole coast - sites full!
Thats great thank you . I have camped at Camping laviorna (Potes) so was pleased to see you recommended that site as that is the sort of site we like , so im guessing your other recommendations will be really helpful , thank you .
Im going to start from Potes (La Viorna ) and move west then south into Portugal ( I think) and the only site i am going to book is La viorna as i am thinking no need to book in May /June (early part) . Hopefully this will be ok as i hate pre planning all my trip .
Appreciate your recommendations and if you think of any others or places of interest at any time please advise as its always good to get ideas from others that have already been and done it .

Thats great thank you . I have camped at Camping laviorna (Potes) so was pleased to see you recommended that site as that is the sort of site we like , so im guessing your other recommendations will be really helpful , thank you .
Im going to start from Potes (La Viorna ) and move west then south into Portugal ( I think) and the only site i am going to book is La viorna as i am thinking no need to book in May /June (early part) . Hopefully this will be ok as i hate pre planning all my trip .
Appreciate your recommendations and if you think of any others or places of interest at any time please advise as its always good to get ideas from others that have already been and done it .
We’re exactly the same and that’s why we love the Cali. Go where we want, when we want for as long as we want. Strangely the weather was as nice at Easter as in the summer, but May / June should hit the sweet spot. Good luck and enjoy.

We must be very similar. !!.....Click on my profile and look at date i joined VWCCC .......then click on yours ......1 day different back in 2013 .......

Have you tried ACSI.Camping Card. We have been with them for a number of years and the campsites for France and Spain are incredible also Portugal and many other countries. The prices are mainly for off season but the app and books you get give you masses of information and reviews on each site. The prices range from 12 Euros for the cheapest up to a maximum of 22 Euros for the most expensive. It costs around €18 to join but you can save that by visiting just 2 campsites.

Have you tried ACSI.Camping Card. We have been with them for a number of years and the campsites for France and Spain are incredible also Portugal and many other countries. The prices are mainly for off season but the app and books you get give you masses of information and reviews on each site. The prices range from 12 Euros for the cheapest up to a maximum of 22 Euros for the most expensive. It costs around €18 to join but you can save that by visiting just 2 campsites.

Cheers Pete . Yes I have the ACSI books and they really help but it would be great to hear if anyone has any recommendations from sites they have actually stayed on if possible plus places they consider a must visit along the way .
Agree with you though the ACSI books and app are really good and I’ve used them a lot to research campsites before arriving .
Thanks Again

Cheers Pete . Yes I have the ACSI books and they really help but it would be great to hear if anyone has any recommendations from sites they have actually stayed on if possible plus places they consider a must visit along the way .
Agree with you though the ACSI books and app are really good and I’ve used them a lot to research campsites before arriving .
Thanks Again
The only thing is everyone has a different idea of what a good campsite should be.. Some want quiet and out of the way and others want a holiday camp with a waterpark. We normally go home via Santander and stop at an Aire at Cabarceno which is 11 miles away. It has one of the best wildlife reserves I’ve ever seen certainly in Europe. To go in is about €30 but if you want to just view the Animals you can get within feet of the Elephants. For an Aire it’s basic but it’s always fairly full but the icing on the cake is the wildlife park and the lake.

The only thing is everyone has a different idea of what a good campsite should be.. Some want quiet and out of the way and others want a holiday camp with a waterpark. We normally go home via Santander and stop at an Aire at Cabarceno which is 11 miles away. It has one of the best wildlife reserves I’ve ever seen certainly in Europe. To go in is about €30 but if you want to just view the Animals you can get within feet of the Elephants. For an Aire it’s basic but it’s always fairly full but the icing on the cake is the wildlife park and the lake.
Thanks for the suggestion of the wildlife reserve . That is definitely something I might consider for the last day as well .
Agree on campsite choice …. For me it’s a mix of scenic , (either coast or mountain views )quiet , not on top of my neighbour sites , mixed in with occasional site within walking distance of a nice village or town . Definitely not a water park or kids based site .
Thanks Again

We're just down the coast at San Sebastian, we're up and down that stretch of coast throughout Easter and summer (Pyrenees in August when the coastal sites are rammed) - La Paz is a good call mentioned above. Oyambre is good if you can find space amongst the Germans in the top field, it's right on the beach, and further along towards San Vicente there’s plenty of farmers charging 5€ a night to stay in a field overlooking the ocean. Trad campsites are expensive in peak season and basic for what they charge but its all about those views. Expect to pay 30€/night plus hookup in August!

@fordyski100 I forgot to mention we are actually doing a similar tour in May / June this year. Into Bilbao diagonally down to the SW of Portugal, up the west coast and along the north coast back to Bilbao - with plenty of inland mountains along the way.
Don’t forget to wave :thumb

@fordyski100 I forgot to mention we are actually doing a similar tour in May / June this year. Into Bilbao diagonally down to the SW of Portugal, up the west coast and along the north coast back to Bilbao - with plenty of inland mountains along the way.
Don’t forget to wave :thumb
See you en -route ….or maybe the same ferry !
Enjoy

Me too!
have you booked sites or winging it?
Only thing i have booked is Portsmouth Bilbao crossing on 22nd May ......Probably head to Potes for 1st couple of nights (not booked) but from then on i am going to move about as weather and my mood decides .......What about you ?

Me too!
have you booked sites or winging it?
We travel on 15th May, arrive 17th. Still looking at a variety of routes. But at this time of the year will probably ‘wing it’ giving us greater flexibility to head to where it’s dry and warm. Can’t wait.

Hi all. I’ve been reading all of the recommendations with interest as we’re heading to Santander in early June on Pont Aven.

We are planning to head the other way however maybe as far as Girona before heading over the border and motoring towards San Sebastián and eventually towards Provence before heading back north. We’ve been to France several times and have ACSI card and books, Search for Sites app and Camping Carpark card but never Spain so any tips on good sites would be very welcome. From what I’ve read, Basque Country sites don’t appear to be rated very highly?

Cheers

Taff T

Also, no idea if crossing into France is better at San Sebastián or Girona?

Hi all.
We’ve been to the north of Spain at Easter and had no issues with getting into campsites - plenty of space (unlike the summer when it was hard work).
We arrive in the middle of May and are looking at going diagonally SW into the south of Portugal, up the coast and along the north of Spain back to Bilbao some 5 weeks later.
We never book sites as we like the freedom of following the sun and just pitching in places that take our fancy - always in campsites.
Is it easy to find pitches along our route at this time of the year? And what sort of weather can we expect?

How are you booking en route? ACSI or some other app?

Cheers

Taff T

How are you booking en route? ACSI or some other app?

Cheers

Taff T
Tend to use ACSI camping card, CAMC Europe sites and Google maps. Or often aim for an area and call in ‘on-spec’. very seldom not got a site and that was height of summer on French/Italian south coast or northern Spain.

Tend to use ACSI camping card, CAMC Europe sites and Google maps. Or often aim for an area and call in ‘on-spec’. very seldom not got a site and that was height of summer on French/Italian south coast or northern Spain.
Cheers…that’s great to know as I’ve got ACSI and plan booking a few sites but love the idea of just seeing what takes our fancy as we travel

Only thing i have booked is Portsmouth Bilbao crossing on 22nd May ......Probably head to Potes for 1st couple of nights (not booked) but from then on i am going to move about as weather and my mood decides .......What about you ?
I'm madly trying to get organised now...going to Bilbao.
So far, I've booked a food tour in San Sebastien...recommended by an Italian (cook school owner and takes people on food tours of Portugal) when in USA! Tour is with Eskerne Falcón who comes highly recommended!
I've also booked several sites and although i'm prepared with waterproofs, I've tried to follow the weather before but it just followed me, so if it rains, that'll be my down days. I did the same for the north of Scotland last Autumn but there were no rainy/downdays...!
I've now got a route - down the east of Portugal, across to the SW corner, then up the middle mostly. I've decided not to do Lisbon or Oporto - I can fly from Edinburgh and hit them as city breaks. I have however, booked a nice hotel in the middle of the trip!
Tomorrow I get the van MOT'd, then a bump fixed (not me who did it!), buy new boots and hit the PC again for more planning!
It sounds like there may be a few of us over there...I hope so, it would be lovely to bump into you all.

We’re off in early June hopefully and have only booked ferries and a brief stop in Noja so far but planning to visit the Picos before a hotel stop over in San Sebastián as we‘ve also heard it’s got so many good places to eat. May still need that rainy weather gear as well though at some point.

We’re off in early June hopefully and have only booked ferries and a brief stop in Noja so far but planning to visit the Picos before a hotel stop over in San Sebastián as we‘ve also heard it’s got so many good places to eat. May still need that rainy weather gear as well though at some point.
You're in luck Taff, we are doing a similar trip in June. I very rarely have anything but exceptional luck and I am hoping for the weather to be on its best behaviour. Have a great trip. We planning a lot of Tripadvisor, once I have a fuller itinerary I will share the trip.

Basque Country sites don’t appear to be rated very highly?

Also, no idea if crossing into France is better at San Sebastián or Girona?
I live in the Basque Country but hadn't done much camping here until the last couple of years with limitations on movements.
Many sites are underwhelming and expensive (French side included) but we found a few good ones. Generally, if the site is within walking distance of a beach, it's expensive and often noisy - beware around San Juan in June when kids finish school and go camping with their mates in big noisy groups.

In summer , crossing from San Sebastian can involve a 10km queue at the border at weekends. Late August is the worst as everyone heads back to northern Europe.