Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OCEAN to BEACH

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Beach owner, I thought you can get a 5th seat for the Ocean / SE?
Fifth seat prep was / is a paid for option on current Ocean, requires additional floor rail. (Many do not spec it) so it not a given.

Fifth seat prep was / is a paid for option on current Ocean, requires additional floor rail. (Many do not spec it) so it not a given.
Believe it was also a problem when I ordered an Ocean 4Motion last autumn as it made the van too heavy for that spec.

Possibly ‘all parties’ can agree that neither the Ocean nor the Beach is a proper motor caravan/motorhome. eg. not truly compartmentalised. However, please could you clarify specifically why you are so vehemently resolute in your refusal to accept the Beach as a Campervan by definition?
(Citing disgruntled and disenfranchised third party converters aside)
I’ve already stated why. There is no point you asking the same question hoping to get a different answer. That’s my opinion and you can accept it or not. Apart from a gas cylinder and personal processions the Ocean can be taken camping direct from the Dealership forecourt. The Beach has to be equipped before such a trip unless all you plan on doing is sleeping in it.

I’ve already stated why. There is no point you asking the same question hoping to get a different answer. That’s my opinion and you can accept it or not. Apart from a gas cylinder and personal processions the Ocean can be taken camping direct from the Dealership forecourt. The Beach has to be equipped before such a trip unless all you plan on doing is sleeping in it.
That’s not really true, the straight from dealership. A new beach camper can do the same, may not have an amazing ocean fridge but they both have to have the exact same stuff put in at the beginning.
Maybe easier to leave bits in an ocean, but most beach owners have it set up to go or just load a box or two.
They are the same great vans, just meet different needs.
Now a beach with the best ocean feature the fridge (made portable) would be perfect for me if I was to go back to a cali. You can’t beat that toploader.

Does the parking heater come as standard in the Beach now? (I didn't see it on your options list @JG220 )

It
I would clean a food preparatory surface every time whether in a Beach Camper… or an Ocean.
It’s a choice not an obligation.

p.s. I wouldn’t grill in a van either.

p.p.s… Thank you for editing out the footnote ‘retort’ on your original post where you question whether I was dumb.
I’ll have to assume you meant that I appeared to be conspicuously unintelligent rather than incapable of speech.
You will have to clean it everytime still. i would think that the hob isn't really a food prep surface though

Last edited:
So if you have a Beach…how do you store 30 l’s of fresh water and more importantly, how do you then collect and responsibly dispose of your grey water, that’s gotta be a pain right?. Let me guess, you don’t.

So if you have a Beach…how do you store 30 l’s of fresh water and more importantly, how do you then collect and responsibly dispose of your grey water, that’s gotta be a pain right?. Let me guess, you don’t.
We have one of these in ours so we just empty the grey water into a drain; Works great for us as the whole unit can be removed in 30seconds which comes in handy when we need to use 7 seats, or, need more space in the van.

We have one of these in ours so we just empty the grey water into a drain; Works great for us as the whole unit can be removed in 30seconds which comes in handy when we need to use 7 seats, or, need more space in the van.

So you move it in and out when you convert from a People Carrier to a vehicle to go Camping in.
The True Definition of a MPV.

I rest my case.

You don’t need 30l of water, most people won’t drink the water from there ocean tanks. So you only need water for kettle or boil food, bloody hard to wash up anything in Cali sink as it’s to small. I used the sink to clean teeth etc then wondered if my grey taste had gunked up.
With a beach Grey water can go down the drain when you walk off to do washing up, lots of campsite don’t have drive over emptying for grey as I keep finding in my joker. So ocean gets the same problem.

I would say with both types of Cali what percentage are they used for camping and what for driving from a to b? Or is it just used for camping and nothing else.
Would be interesting to do a poll.
So if a Cali is used for 30% camping and 70% as a car, it should be better at the higher % ?

Then again the cost involved in buying a cali surely having posh gadgets electric roof/ fridge/night heater should be expected.

I’m not on one side or the other I like both the same, and the debates on here are interesting when they aren’t slagging.

You don’t need 30l of water, most people won’t drink the water from there ocean tanks. So you only need water for kettle or boil food, bloody hard to wash up anything in Cali sink as it’s to small. I used the sink to clean teeth etc then wondered if my grey taste had gunked up.
With a beach Grey water can go down the drain when you walk off to do washing up, lots of campsite don’t have drive over emptying for grey as I keep finding in my joker. So ocean gets the same problem.

I would say with both types of Cali what percentage are they used for camping and what for driving from a to b? Or is it just used for camping and nothing else.
Would be interesting to do a poll.
So if a Cali is used for 30% camping and 70% as a car, it should be better at the higher % ?

Then again the cost involved in buying a cali surely having posh gadgets electric roof/ fridge/night heater should be expected.

I’m not on one side or the other I like both the same, and the debates on here are interesting when they aren’t slagging.
That would indeed be an interesting poll. You mention the similar grey water problems. With your experience though, please could you share what you think the main advantages are of a Joker over an Ocean?

We’ve gone from a T5 full camper conversion to a T6 Beach. We never used the sink or cooker in the camper. The Beach has a full width bed downstairs which is brilliant. Also the packing up to move off is really simple and no rattling about. Just done 700 miles in ours on a variety of sites and wouldn’t go back to a full camper now.

That would indeed be an interesting poll. You mention the similar grey water problems. With your experience though, please could you share what you think the main advantages are of a Joker over an Ocean?
I bought the joker 3yrs ago to escape the real world.
If your percentage of camping is as high as mine then having hot water, shower loo and being able to stand up, dry wet clothes, a proper sink.
It still be 5.3m long with a nice long bed 2m, 4x4, and of coarse still amazing VW transporter based van.
Downsides looks not as pretty as Cali (but would still prefer to look at nature than either).
The Cali sliding table and chair storage amazing. got round it with front runner chairs hung in tailgate and way nicer to sit on.
Cali fridge is way better, and material used to build Cali cupboards way better.
I would switch back to a cali when I come back to the real world probably as like I said they are the Swiss Army knife of campers.
Beach or ocean now that would be tough, beach would win if they done the 4motion over here.

Forgot one last thing is the joker fits nicely in the gap left by VW between a Cali and a GC
Thanks for that summary. Appreciate the balanced review. I actually like the look of the Club Joker though. Also, yes it does fit nicely between the two sizes but.. oh boy...I thought the Cali's were expensive!

Thanks for that summary. Appreciate the balanced review. I actually like the look of the Club Joker though. Also, yes it does fit nicely between the two sizes but.. oh boy...I thought the Cali's were expensive!
My new joker that is on order is less than a buy it now cali.
It’s the build times what are a problem with any westfalia crazy!

That’s not really true, the straight from dealership. A new beach camper can do the same, may not have an amazing ocean fridge but they both have to have the exact same stuff put in at the beginning.
Maybe easier to leave bits in an ocean, but most beach owners have it set up to go or just load a box or two.
They are the same great vans, just meet different needs.
Now a beach with the best ocean feature the fridge (made portable) would be perfect for me if I was to go back to a cali. You can’t beat that toploader.
We highly recommend the Dometic 35 for a Beach, it’s a cracking fridge and even better freezer. At the moment the only thing we could see as an improvement for us would be a high top Beach.

Easy, we don’t need 30 litres of water. We have a water container which is filled from a tap, just as you attach a hose to the tap to get your 30 litres.
There is minimal grey water as if on a site we use the facilities we are paying for. If not the grey goes into a container and is disposed of responsibly.

Those Vangear Campervan pods look really clever. Which one do you have? Are they heavy? Do you treat the water bottles the same way as the Cali tanks ie. issues surrounding Biofilm and Limescale? Can it be used outside...say in an awning or tent too?

Lead time....12 months+?
I’m currently on 15mths! Was told May, then July, then Sept, and now Nov :headbang
If it turns up this by end of this year it will be 1 1/2yrs!!! in total for build. Haven’t a clue what stage it’s at either, I think westfalia got van from VW (well maybe).

Status
Not open for further replies.