Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OCEAN to BEACH

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t need 30l of water, most people won’t drink the water from there ocean tanks. So you only need water for kettle or boil food, bloody hard to wash up anything in Cali sink as it’s to small. I used the sink to clean teeth etc then wondered if my grey taste had gunked up.
With a beach Grey water can go down the drain when you walk off to do washing up, lots of campsite don’t have drive over emptying for grey as I keep finding in my joker. So ocean gets the same problem.

I would say with both types of Cali what percentage are they used for camping and what for driving from a to b? Or is it just used for camping and nothing else.
Would be interesting to do a poll.
So if a Cali is used for 30% camping and 70% as a car, it should be better at the higher % ?

Then again the cost involved in buying a cali surely having posh gadgets electric roof/ fridge/night heater should be expected.

I’m not on one side or the other I like both the same, and the debates on here are interesting when they aren’t slagging.
Surely "if a Cali is used for 30% camping and 70% as a car", then it would be a multi purpose vehicle. ;)

I’m currently on 15mths! Was told May, then July, then Sept, and now Nov :headbang
If it turns up this by end of this year it will be 1 1/2yrs!!! in total for build. Haven’t a clue what stage it’s at either, I think westfalia got van from VW (well maybe).
Crikey. That's quite a while. Good that you already have a van and don't have that frustration at least. Suppose it's just a case of trying to forget it and it'll eventually turn up!

So if you have a Beach…how do you store 30 l’s of fresh water and more importantly, how do you then collect and responsibly dispose of your grey water, that’s gotta be a pain right?. Let me guess, you don’t.
Your right we don’t 30 litres of water stored in a tank isn’t “fresh“ it full of bacteria #Breeding ground. :stop
Grey water stored in a tank positive health hazard :sad
I bet you keep a toilet in the van as well, right next to your food ?
you make your choices as Ocean owners, one way is not necessarily the only way.
Oh and while we’re on the subject of benefits of an Ocean, what about the necessity to empty those tanks regularly and chemically clean them to prevent potential health issues, let alone damage to the equipment in colder climates / winter.
current threads such as Do you use your water tanks etc show that these vehicles are not necessarily used as intended but instead become an aspirational item that is seldome used by many.
All that fixed waste of space backed by “real camper van“ marketing and aspirational BS, exacerbated by the One up man ship exhibited on a daily basis on this great forum, and if you dare to come on here with anything other than an Ocean, expect the sneering to begin by the usual suspects.

I have had several VW vans ovver many many years, my type 2 Devon had no “fresh” water tank, no grey water tank, no fridge, no additional storage etc. doesn’t make it less of a “ proper Camper Van“ In fact those with Original Camper vans and lots of converted vans look poorly on the Ocean brigade, who are thought to be snobby and not a proper part of the VW scene, particularly as they are seen to be poncy and often owners arrogant!

I Suggest you look at the long provenance of the van your in and the VW scene that is alive and well despite many stupid comments by the self professed Elitist.
I don’t get why in the U.K. particularly a T5se is seen to be lesser than a T6 ocean, seen to be lesser than a T6.1 Ocean, by some (usually with those insecure types) Coast is deemed all of the above as poor mans Ocean and Beach How very dare you call that a “proper camper van”.
Get a grip, The California in its various guises is a ponced up Transporter Van, cleverly marketed by VW as an aspirational toy, based on the initial provenance of the original Bulli and subsequent VW transporter based models, if you think anything different you are deluding yourself and duping others into buying into your reality which in truth is your insecurities & if you doubt it try scratching the surface of the VW scene and other forums (if you dare)

Those Vangear Campervan pods look really clever. Which one do you have? Are they heavy? Do you treat the water bottles the same way as the Cali tanks ie. issues surrounding Biofilm and Limescale? Can it be used outside...say in an awning or tent too?
We have the mini pod, behind the passenger seat.

You can still rotate the seat, as it’s secured to the sliding rails with 2 x thumb screws, so position is adjustable. If mounted behind the drivers seat, the flip up stove sits outside the van, so you can cook standing under the awning.

The water & waste bottle are easy to remove. You just unscrew the lid (which stays in the van), take the bottle out & then clean them in your kitchen at home.

They are very lightweight and are designed to be used in van / awning. (For use in awning you just plug into the 12v socket in the boot, run cable to awning & shut the cable in the boot…saves you having to trail the lead out of the sliding window).

Can also be spec’d with a rechargeable tap, but downside of this is that will only work when charged, even if it is plugged into USB charger (anything that needs charging in our house tends to have a flat battery when you need it …so 12v was better for us.).

They are hand made in Ditchling, Sussex (not mass produced in China.), so they are happy to adapt / add USB charg

You will have to clean it everytime still. i would think that the hob isn't really a food prep surface though
If you take a look at the mechanism, you will see that there is a prep surface incorporated to the right of the hob.

Your right we don’t 30 litres of water stored in a tank isn’t “fresh“ it full of bacteria #Breeding ground. :stop
Grey water stored in a tank positive health hazard :sad
I bet you keep a toilet in the van as well, right next to your food ?
you make your choices as Ocean owners, one way is not necessarily the only way.
Oh and while we’re on the subject of benefits of an Ocean, what about the necessity to empty those tanks regularly and chemically clean them to prevent potential health issues, let alone damage to the equipment in colder climates / winter.
current threads such as Do you use your water tanks etc show that these vehicles are not necessarily used as intended but instead become an aspirational item that is seldome used by many.
All that fixed waste of space backed by “real camper van“ marketing and aspirational BS, exacerbated by the One up man ship exhibited on a daily basis on this great forum, and if you dare to come on here with anything other than an Ocean, expect the sneering to begin by the usual suspects.

I have had several VW vans ovver many many years, my type 2 Devon had no “fresh” water tank, no grey water tank, no fridge, no additional storage etc. doesn’t make it less of a “ proper Camper Van“ In fact those with Original Camper vans and lots of converted vans look poorly on the Ocean brigade, who are thought to be snobby and not a proper part of the VW scene, particularly as they are seen to be poncy and often owners arrogant!

I Suggest you look at the long provenance of the van your in and the VW scene that is alive and well despite many stupid comments by the self professed Elitist.
I don’t get why in the U.K. particularly a T5se is seen to be lesser than a T6 ocean, seen to be lesser than a T6.1 Ocean, by some (usually with those insecure types) Coast is deemed all of the above as poor mans Ocean and Beach How very dare you call that a “proper camper van”.
Get a grip, The California in its various guises is a ponced up Transporter Van, cleverly marketed by VW as an aspirational toy, based on the initial provenance of the original Bulli and subsequent VW transporter based models, if you think anything different you are deluding yourself and duping others into buying into your reality which in truth is your insecurities & if you doubt it try scratching the surface of the VW scene and other forums (if you dare)
Some excellent points here!

My intended use for the onboard water is mainly to shower off filthy legs, shoes and bikes. I am reasonably sure it will be less effective than my current solution: a pump-up weed sprayer kept in the boot. Equally certain I'll never drink from the tap although I don't see this need for "regular" disinfection in a small, sealed plastic tank. Having worked on potable water systems for rail, the requirement for disinfection of the circuit is annual. I could certainly live without an onboard water supply, but do see it as having value, in my case - other people will not use it at all.

Btw I can assure you that this arrogance between owners of various flavours of leisure vehicle is a largely British Thing. Whenever I've "admitted" to ordering a Cali on various other forums or even to family/friends in the UK, it's usually met with derision! On the other hand, absolutely no-one gives a toss here!

You can still rotate the seat, as it’s secured to the sliding rails with 2 x thumb screws, so position is adjustable. If mounted behind the drivers seat, the flip up stove sits outside the van, so you can cook standing under the awning.

The water & waste bottle are easy to remove. You just unscrew the lid (which stays in the van), take the bottle out & then clean them in your kitchen at home.

They are very lightweight and are designed to be used in van / awning. (For use in awning you just plug into the 12v socket in the boot, run cable to awning & shut the cable in the boot…saves you having to trail the lead out of the sliding window).

Can also be spec’d with a rechargeable tap, but downside of this is that will only work when charged, even if it is plugged into USB charger (anything that needs charging in our house tends to have a flat battery when you need it …so 12v was better for us.).

They are hand made in Ditchling, Sussex (not mass produced in China.), so they are happy to adapt / add USB charg
Like it! Versatile. They are really neat looking on the website. Didn’t cross my mind that obviously it could sit on either side of the van. My ideal would be one that was removable but was housed on a sliding mechanism from the boot under the tailgate for outdoor washing up/ sociable cooking with everyone siting around. I expect there is one, just don’t know it!

Some excellent points here!

My intended use for the onboard water is mainly to shower off filthy legs, shoes and bikes. I am reasonably sure it will be less effective than my current solution: a pump-up weed sprayer kept in the boot. Equally certain I'll never drink from the tap although I don't see this need for "regular" disinfection in a small, sealed plastic tank. Having worked on potable water systems for rail, the requirement for disinfection of the circuit is annual. I could certainly live without an onboard water supply, but do see it as having value, in my case - other people will not use it at all.

Btw I can assure you that this arrogance between owners of various flavours of leisure vehicle is a largely British Thing. Whenever I've "admitted" to ordering a Cali on various other forums or even to family/friends in the UK, it's usually met with derision! On the other hand, absolutely no-one gives a toss here!
The importance of a a balanced and truthful approach to the perceived benefits touted by others should be considered carefully. Such that reading these pages could suggest that because the Cali has a sink and a on board water supply it will be safe to use I. Whatever way the owner chooses, this is clearly not the case and as you say “ you should never drink the water” which is contrary to what has been suggested as a benefit (not directly, but indirectly) by suggesting that because an Ocean has a available on board water supply is is obviously a benefit over a vehicle with no on board water supply, this could / May / will lead other to the incorrect assumption that water from the tank is safe to drink! It is not and very seldom will be for any length of time.

obviously there is still a very real requirement for clean Drinking water to be provided from a clean fresh source, (not the on board tank) which is slightly different to the benefit being touted !
Along with the requirements to clean both systems (clean & grey) to prevent Bacteria and Bio film contamination, So the perceived benefit is some what offset by the maintenance of both system, potential wasted water resource and chemicals that need to be purchased & the continued need for a regular source of fresh / bottled drinking water (which was the OP point, I believe comparing Ocean v Beach or any other vehicle without onboard water storage) let alone the addition 3Okg of additional and potentially unnecessary weight of the water (vs fuel economy) For an entire trip (assuming grey water is not discharge as was intimated as another benefit).
A balanced approach should be exactly that, not BS to fit a particular one sided approach that suits the one up man ship. Every solution presents its own set of potential issues, something that appears to be lost on some when considering their elitist stance.

Last edited:
My ideal would be one that was removable but was housed on a sliding mechanism from the boot under the tailgate for outdoor washing up/ sociable cooking with everyone siting around. I expect there is one, just don’t know it!
Slidepod?

1632070654508.png

1632070681601.png

It probably takes a bit of man maths to justify, but they are brilliant and do exactly what you describe.

Oh no, just realised...I've got a 2 seat bench on order. Need one a little narrower!

Just watched abusandbeyond busfest, loving the strips on the grey.
I maybe biased as I spotted the cool crochet blanket too.
I’m sure there will be loads of info from them on the change from an ocean to beach.

Like it! Versatile. They are really neat looking on the website. Didn’t cross my mind that obviously it could sit on either side of the van. My ideal would be one that was removable but was housed on a sliding mechanism from the boot under the tailgate for outdoor washing up/ sociable cooking with everyone siting around. I expect there is one, just don’t know it!
That is almost waht we did. We have a mini-pod, but added a different base plate and installed it in the boot. This creates a little void to keep towels + collapsible wash basin.

We also did some small modifications: we installed 2 10l water carriers behind the unit (under MFB), and put the folding up flap on the right + side wall a bit more to the outer edge. The 2 modifications allow to maximize cabinet interior where we store all vitlery, pots, pans, plates,… for 5 persons. As cooker we use an outwell annatto which is stored & secured on the side. We also installed the support used to transform the door on the lower part. This allows to put the stove on this table and cook at the back.

We prefer to cook outside, where the rest of the family is while camping.

We can still use the full length of the bed, although it come more to the front.

Take a look here for a picture: https://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/beach-camper-owner-from-belgium.39522/

If vangear would develop a lower & deeper unit to install on a sliding rail under the MFB, that would be very interesting.

Slidepod?

View attachment 84582

View attachment 84583

It probably takes a bit of man maths to justify, but they are brilliant and do exactly what you describe.
I would rather prefer a half width solution, so access to the boot space behind the bench is still possible. We store (amongst others) an inflatable kayak behind the bench.

Note that we travel with bench seat in forward (sleeping) position in most cases.

How do you think?
Yes, it’s good for members asking this question to have your confirmation that in an Ocean you can’t transport 5, unless you order the 5th seat, which prevents the lower bed being made up unless it’s removed upon arrival, quite the definition of faff. For those who are wondering, the 150cm wide lower Beach bed can be easily made up with 5 seats, and thanks to the method suggested by @Amarillo, can be made up even faster with all 7 seats in when necessary, by just folding the 3 seat bench and the 2 second row seats forward. This leaves much more foot space than the VW method of making up the lower bed with all 7 seats in. I use this method when traveling full with 7 members of my mountain group, when they stay in a hotel or mountain refuge and I sleep in the van. There are some situations where I prefer not to raise the roof, as it were.

Last edited:
I rest my case.
(Thank goodness for that!)

As self proclaimed judge, jury and executioner I am ready…

Having carefully and unbiasedly heard all the evidence, I do not hesitate to proclaim the Beach a campervan.

It is a van in which people can and do camp. The fact that it can comfortably seat seven adults does not take away from the fact that in can sleep four or even five people. The fact that it doesn’t have a built in hob does not take away from the fact people can and do cook in their Beach. The fact that it doesn’t have a kitchen sink doesn’t take away from the fact that people can and do wash up in their Beach. The fact that it doesn’t have a built in wardrobe doesn’t take away from the fact that people can and do use their Beach as their dressing room.

I am persuaded by the arguments that people using their Beach as a campervan make it a campervan.

My sentence to you is this: you must write out 1000 times, “A California Beach is a campervan.”

Having carefully and unbiasedly heard all the evidence, I do not hesitate to proclaim the Beach a campervan.

It is a van in which people can and do camp. The fact that it can comfortably seat seven adults does not take away from the fact that in can sleep four or even five people. The fact that it doesn’t have a built in hob does not take away from the fact people can and do cook in their Beach. The fact that it doesn’t have a kitchen sink doesn’t take away from the fact that people can and do wash up in their Beach. The fact that it doesn’t have a built in wardrobe doesn’t take away from the fact that people can and do use their Beach as their dressing room.

I am persuaded by the arguments that people using their Beach as a campervan make it a campervan.

My sentence to you is this: you must write out 1000 times, “A California Beach is a campervan.”
Totally agree, it’s a Van/MPV that you can camp in when you have loaded the Van/MPV with the necessary CAMPING equipment.
And by the way Borris has a Beach MPV.

Yes, it’s good for members asking this question to have your confirmation that in an Ocean you can’t transport 5, unless you order the 5th seat, which prevents the lower bed being made up unless it’s removed upon arrival, quite the definition of faff. For those who are wondering, the 150cm lower Beach bed can be easily made up with 5 seats, and thanks to the method suggested by @Amarillo, can be made up even faster with all 7 seats in when necessary, by just folding the 3 seat bench and the 2 second row seats forward. This leaves much more foot space than the VW method of making up the lower bed with all 7 seats in. I use this method when traveling full with 7 members of my mountain group, when they stay in a hotel or mountain refuge and I sleep in the van. There are some situations where I prefer not to raise the roof, as it were.
I never mentioned a 5th seat.

The importance of a a balanced and truthful approach to the perceived benefits touted by others should be considered carefully. Such that reading these pages could suggest that because the Cali has a sink and a sI le water supply it will be safe to use I. Whatever way the owner chooses, this is clearly not the case and as you say “ you should never drink the water” which is contrary to what has been suggested as a benefit (not directly, but indirectly) by suggesting that because an Ocean has a available on board water supply is is obviously a benefit over a vehicle with no on board water supply, this could / May / will lead other to the incorrect assumption that water from the tank is safe to drink! It is not and very seldom will be for any length of time.

obviously there is still a very real requirement for clean Drinking water to be provided from a clean fresh source, (not the on board tank) which is slightly different to the benefit being touted !
Along with the requirements to clean both systems (clean & grey) to prevent Bacteria and Bio film contamination, So the perceived benefit is some what offset by the maintenance of both system, potential wasted water resource and chemicals that need to be purchased & the continued need for a regular source of fresh / bottled drinking water (which was the OP point, I believe comparing Ocean v Beach or any other vehicle without onboard water storage) let alone the addition 3Okg of additional and potentially unnecessary weight of the water (vs fuel economy) For an entire trip (assuming grey water is not discharge as was intimated as another benefit).
A balanced approach should be exactly that, not BS to fit a particular one sided approach that suits the one up man ship. Every solution presents its own set of potential issues, something that appears to be lost on some when considering their elitist stance.
You obviously have too much time, to annotate 37 posts of mine with the SAD icon shows a significant level of insecurity .
Your comments regarding the built in water tank on the proper Campervan, SE/Ocean, we’re absolutely hilarious, and very Sad in way. Clutching at straws springs to mind.
If you want to maintain the Beach is a comparable Campervan to the Ocean then you have been conned. Having to buy something to cook on, carry water, a fridge etc and additional storage to stop everything rattling around makes it very poor value as a Campervan.
As a MPV it makes a lot of sense.

A van can do the same, if fitted with a pop top and bed together with a few extra seats, but DVLA call that “ Van with Windows “.
Now, explain the difference between a Beach and a “ Van with Windows “ fitted with a pop top, roof bed, folding 3 seater bench and extra seats?

A van can do the same, if fitted with a pop top and bed together with a few extra seats, but DVLA call that “ Van with Windows “.
Now, explain the difference between a Beach and a “ Van with Windows “ fitted with a pop top, roof bed, folding 3 seater bench and extra seats?

“To see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle.”​

― George Orwell

You obviously have too much time, to annotate 37 posts of mine with the SAD icon shows a significant level of insecurity .
Your comments regarding the built in water tank on the proper Campervan, SE/Ocean, we’re absolutely hilarious, and very Sad in way. Clutching at straws springs to mind.
If you want to maintain the Beach is a comparable Campervan to the Ocean then you have been conned. Having to buy something to cook on, carry water, a fridge etc and additional storage to stop everything rattling around makes it very poor value as a Campervan.
As a MPV it makes a lot of sense.
No WG I’m just being as petty minded as you, I’m glad you noted it!
it is in response to marking my posts as ”Sad “ in the first place without offering any response.

Yes @westfalia we Know WG is that insecure he takes screen shots which he trolls out some Inordinate time later as evidence to a quite often trivial debate that he has effectively blown out of all proportion.

WG, the forum is more than aware you have far too much time on your hands (particularly as you put it on your avatar ad a badge of honour.
Often you are observed by many responding in an inane and often aggressive manor to those who have the temerity to have a mind of their own.
It’s such a shame that you offer so much in some ways to the forum then deliberately slap it in the face in others.

I would suggest that it you who are insecure by your high level of posts relating to a VW factory California Beach Camper van that you don’t even own and clearly have no interest in owning, because you have a proper Camper (Don’t we know it), but instead you make it your life’s work to mitigate your insecurities by constantly attacking what others hold dear:

Using their VW California Beach Campervan as a CAMPER VAN.

yes that right it’s a Camper van Deal with it and move on.

Edit : other can be that sad too

0B61A12B-295E-41B2-8915-53F4CC1A8479.png

Status
Not open for further replies.