Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OCEAN to BEACH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for opening what must be a tiresome old debate for the long termers on here, but I know there are people who come here looking for views of people who've thought things through and concluded. Its hard to know until you've tried, and to be fair I have never tried a Beach. I have looked around a secondhand T6 one, and @aBusAndBeyond change to a Beach made me ask the questions of our Ocean choice again.
The difference is, ABAB have a growing family and a large Bentley (dog, not Continental) and we have a shrinking one. Yes, I do see the Ocean bed as compromised for two, though we have slept comfortably on it, we normally sleep upstairs. I think if we'd had a bigger family, a Beach would have been essential, but for 3 of us an Ocean is better because we have everything to hand. I heard the view above that there's more storage in a Beach, but I don't see it as it doesn't have the nearside wardrobe or the kitchen cupboards. I do like having everything away and accessible, not rooting round in the boot for a kitchen or a beer.
Something is niggling me though or I wouldn't be writing this! I don't think its the electronics - I do see issues on here, but you'd expect to hear about them. I'm sure there are many more totally satisfied. Looking forward to reporting back on that, hopefully not whilst munching on my hat...(should be delivered mid-October).
Don’t bring us into this ;-)

Didn’t you have an Ocean first?

We went straight for the Beach. I invented a single word to describe it: supercalisevenseaterbedisextraspacious.
Yes, then I saw the light.
Just bought a tupike from Primus.eu I’ll be at slimbridge so you can check the fit in your fancy cooking station if you like…
Thanks Doc,
Thanks to @66tim99's kind advice, I've ordered one from Primus eu this evening so if they are prompt, hopefully I'll have it by then. If not I may take you up on your kind offer. Either way I look forward to meeting you. :thumb

On a BBQ- but I don’t pretend that my fixed stove is adequate because I don’t have a fixed stove.
So ALL your cooking is on a Barbecue?
Must re-read your blog. Could have sworn you also used a gas powered cooker in your outdoor kitchen, you know the one in the awning, that you had to put up and take down every time when the weather was a little inclement. And wasn’t it you who experimented with a 12v electric kettle so you could speed up breaking camp each time?

But you’re central to this being another who’ve upgraded Ocean to Beach having seen the light (and the king size bed).
Well if you are large enough to require the downstairs king sized bed then I suppose that is a good enough reason. After all there is a weight limit on the upper bed, which surprisingly is the same size as the Ocean upstairs bed.

I wonder, and apologies if this has been covered in another of the various Beach/ Ocean debates, if Ocean owners would happily drop parts of the built in facilities as they are less useful to them than others?

As in lose the small sink with glass worktops for more storage or a bigger fridge. Or make what seems a bijoux little wardrobe (without enough shelves as standard it seems) larger?

Obviously views will vary based on individual priorities but at the moment the Ocean/ Coast habitation option is very much one size fits all.

There’s some interesting and useful insight in this and other similar threads. It’s just a shame one has to filter all the bitching, squabbling and insecurities to get through to it!

I wonder, and apologies if this has been covered in another of the various Beach/ Ocean debates, if Ocean owners would happily drop parts of the built in facilities as they are less useful to them than others?

As in lose the small sink with glass worktops for more storage or a bigger fridge. Or make what seems a bijoux little wardrobe (without enough shelves as standard it seems) larger?

Obviously views will vary based on individual priorities but at the moment the Ocean/ Coast habitation option is very much one size fits all.
Personally, no. Suits us as it is.

So ALL your cooking is on a Barbecue?
Must re-read your blog. Could have sworn you also used a gas powered cooker in your outdoor kitchen, you know the one in the awning, that you had to put up and take down every time when the weather was a little inclement. And wasn’t it you who experimented with a 12v electric kettle so you could speed up breaking camp each time?

You were very specific in your question.

“Most gas stoves are inadequate for kebabs. How do you manage?”

Not “kebab on a bed of saffron rice”.

However, as it happens, our BBQ is multifunctional, and can boil a kettle, be used as a pizza oven, grill a pork chop, fry an egg, or create a paella.

But in answer to your question, we also have a portable double burner, recently downgraded from a triple burner, but also multifunctional with two pan supports which can be changed for a single grill or single griddle.

As it happens, I might be visiting North Wales this weekend to play in Snowdonia with my younger son, Jack. Cadair Idris is our aim, as I did with Ben just over a year ago. I haven’t yet decided, but we may well go with the BBQ alone, certainly no driveaway awning, and we’ll be sleeping in the upper bunk, leaving downstairs as our dining area and cooking under the awning canopy.

My Ocean is often used as a mobile office. The table is essential, the stove and fridge and sink very very handy.
The portapotty that fits under the sink is an emergency only item

Well if you are large enough to require the downstairs king sized bed then I suppose that is a good enough reason. After all there is a weight limit on the upper bed, which surprisingly is the same size as the Ocean upstairs bed.
Sorry?!! What are you trying to say?

Sorry?!! What are you trying to say?
The fact that the bed downstairs is kingsize is irrelevant as the upstairs bed is the same on Beach and Ocean unless you cannot use the upstairs bed because of physical limitations. Many Ocean owners use the Upstairs bed out of preference preferring to keep the lounge as it is.
So banging on about the bigger bed in the Beach is irrelevant in practice.

The fact that the bed downstairs is kingsize is irrelevant as the upstairs bed is the same on Beach and Ocean unless you cannot use the upstairs bed because of physical limitations. Many Ocean owners use the Upstairs bed out of preference preferring to keep the lounge as it is.
Has a bigger lounge then :thumb

You were very specific in your question.

“Most gas stoves are inadequate for kebabs. How do you manage?”

Not “kebab on a bed of saffron rice”.

However, as it happens, our BBQ is multifunctional, and can boil a kettle, be used as a pizza oven, grill a pork chop, fry an egg, or create a paella.

But in answer to your question, we also have a portable double burner, recently downgraded from a triple burner, but also multifunctional with two pan supports which can be changed for a single grill or single griddle.

As it happens, I might be visiting North Wales this weekend to play in Snowdonia with my younger son, Jack. Cadair Idris is our aim, as I did with Ben just over a year ago. I haven’t yet decided, but we may well go with the BBQ alone, certainly no driveaway awning, and we’ll be sleeping in the upper bunk, leaving downstairs as our dining area and cooking under the awning canopy.
Take your waterproofs. Weather changing for the weekend. Weather front moving in from the Atlantic.:thumb

To be honest if you wish to camp 365 days of the year then the only difference between the 2 vehicles is that the Beach can carry upto 5 to 7 and the Ocean 4 to 5 on certain models.
Once you add camping equipment and awning etc: to the Beach so you can use it in all weathers there is no space advantage.
If you want a MPV or removal van then the Beach has the advantage provided you have somewhere to store everything when emptied out.

To be honest if you wish to camp 365 days of the year then the only difference between the 2 vehicles is that the Beach can carry upto 5 to 7 and the Ocean 4 to 5 on certain models.
Once you add camping equipment and awning etc: to the Beach so you can use it in all weathers there is no space advantage.
If you want a MPV or removal van then the Beach has the advantage provided you have somewhere to store everything when emptied out.
Using your example, I doubt if very many people camp for 365 days a year and for those few that do, how many would have more than four persons on board? Sticking purely with either base vehicle and leaving camping equipment out of the equation, neither can sleep more than four adults comfortably. So as a camper van both versions perform that function well albeit with some compromise involved. The Ocean has built in facilities at the expense of space. The Beach has space but no built in facilities. That's it in a nut shell.

I would suggest that whichever version one chooses would depend on other factors and needs in ones life.

If you only need a campervan then the Ocean/Coast/SE format is excellent. However, if you need your van to do more than that, then the Beach is the one to consider. For those that are unfamiliar, here are some photos that show just some of the flexibility that you get with the Beach format. This flexibility doesn't mean it's a better vehicle, just suitable for a range of applications that many people may not need.

20190728_101602.jpg20190728_094052.jpg
20191026_234224.jpg
Screenshot_20191026-234004_Gallery.jpg
20190728_094339.jpg

Using your example, I doubt if very many people camp for 365 days a year and for those few that do, how many would have more than four persons on board? Sticking purely with either base vehicle and leaving camping equipment out of the equation, neither can sleep more than four adults comfortably. So as a camper van both versions perform that function well albeit with some compromise involved. The Ocean has built in facilities at the expense of space. The Beach has space but no built in facilities. That's it in a nut shell.

I would suggest that whichever version one chooses would depend on other factors and needs in ones life.

If you only need a campervan then the Ocean/Coast/SE format is excellent. However, if you need your van to do more than that, then the Beach is the one to consider. For those that are unfamiliar, here are some photos that show just some of the flexibility that you get with the Beach format. This flexibility doesn't mean it's a better vehicle, just suitable for a range of applications that many people may not need.

View attachment 84376View attachment 84380
View attachment 84375
View attachment 84371
View attachment 84382
No pictures of the fridge, kitchen , awning water carriers etc: stacked outside for use when camping.
As a MPV with a bed, outstanding.

It’s not irrelevant if you use both beds. Children up top, parents down below. At 6am excited children (and dogs) like to snuggle up with parents.

Take your waterproofs. Weather changing for the weekend. Weather front moving in from the Atlantic.:thumb

I’m keeping a close eye on Saturday’s forecast:
The Weather Channel says 80% chance of rain
The Met Office app says dry but cloudy
The MWIS (Snowdonia) says, “As yet detailed confidence not high for the weekend and early next week. There will be a build of pressure following Friday's rain to give substantially fine weather, but the remnants of fronts may still give one or two 'poor' periods, with low cloud and occasional rain.”
So not helpful in coming to a decision!

No pictures of the fridge, kitchen , awning water carriers etc: stacked outside for use when camping.
As a MPV with a bed, outstanding.
See post #54.

The Calicap 700mm pull out boot tray provides stowage for the following:

1. "Dock" Camp kitchen: containing cooking pans, crockery, various knives and other assorted cooking implements, condiments, chopping boards, cafetiere, large Ridge Monkey, kitchen towel etc etc. It will also contain a twin burner Primus Tupike gas stove when it arrives, to replace the current twin single burner Campingaz stoves.

2. Kitchen box: containing assorted cooking liquids and sauces, 907 gas bottle, cooking foil and cling film, lighter fuel, gas lighter, pepper, salt etc etc.

3. Washing up box: containing washing up stuff, washing up liquid, tea towels, spare toilet rolls, washing line etc etc.

4.Electric box: containing 25m ehu cable, and various short extension cables with e.g a three pin socket attached.

5. 30 litre Waeco/Dometic 12/240v CFX35 fridge/freezer and it's various power cables.

6. 10 litre fresh water tank with tap.

7. Collapsible bucket, washing up bowl and tea tray.

8. Breaker bar with 19mm socket.

9. Three panel wind break for use with the single burner stoves.

10. Tarp for use on ground inside the Comfortz awning room.

11. Small Ridge Monkey.

The Comfortz awning room comes in a slim bag which takes up very little room and stows on top of the Multiflex board with the VW Comfort mattress when not in use. When in use it's attached to the van!

All this equipment remains in the van when not in use, even when the down stairs bed is in use. So no need to stack anything outside. Plus you could even cook a meal with the downstairs bed in position.

Everything can be removed and used elsewhere including inside the van or in situ on the pull out tray which is a superb location as it's covered, illuminated at night and at the perfect height for cooking. Also none of the passengers have to move for cooking to take place.

Wash bags, clothes, head torches etc are all stowed in twin rear window Vanessa bags.

Last edited:
See post #54.

The Calicap 700mm pull out boot tray provides stowage for the following:

1. "Dock" Camp kitchen: containing cooking pans, crockery, various knives and other assorted cooking implements, condiments, chopping boards, cafetiere, large Ridge Monkey, kitchen towel etc etc. It will also contain a twin burner Primus Tupike gas stove when it arrives, to replace the current twin single burner Campingaz stoves.

2. Kitchen box: containing assorted cooking liquids and sauces, 907 gas bottle, cooking foil and cling film, lighter fuel, gas lighter, pepper, salt etc etc.

3. Washing up box: containing washing up stuff, washing up liquid, tea towels, spare toilet rolls, washing line etc etc.

4.Electric box: containing 25m ehu cable, and various short extension cables with e.g a three pin socket attached.

5. 30 litre Waeco/Dometic 12/240v CFX35 fridge/freezer and it's various power cables.

6. 10 litre fresh water tank with tap.

7. Collapsible bucket, washing up bowl and tea tray.

8. Breaker bar with 19mm socket.

9. Three panel wind break for use with the single burner stoves.

10. Tarp for use on ground inside the Comfortz awning room.

11. Small Ridge Monkey.

The Comfortz awning room comes in a slim bag which takes up very little room and stows on top of the Multiflex board with the VW Comfort mattress when not in use. When in use it's attached to the van!

All this equipment remains in the van when not in use, even when the down stairs bed is in use. So no need to stack anything outside.

Everything can be removed and used elsewhere including inside the van or in situ on the pull out tray which is a superb location as it's covered, illuminated at night and at the perfect height for cooking. Also none of the passengers have to move for cooking to take place.

Wash bags, clothes, head torches etc are all stowed in twin rear window Vanessa bags.
But you didn't show any of that in your pictures of a camping trip with the Beach.
As I've said as a MPV the Beach is fine, as a bedroom fine. So if you are going to compare the Beach Campervan with the Ocean Campervan then compare like with like.

It’s not irrelevant if you use both beds. Children up top, parents down below. At 6am excited children (and dogs) like to snuggle up with parents.
Thats exactly what happens to us when camping! My main reason for the having the big lower bed. Maybe when we retire and on our own when the boys are grown up, we might move to an Ocean/Coast (or Hymer) as it would possibly work better at that stage.....probably not though as we really WANT the big lower bed. (and as mentioned before that's not to do with our size!!! I'm 5 11" and 11 1/2 stone. My wife is 5 9" and 9 stone!!!!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.