Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OCEAN to BEACH

Status
Not open for further replies.
My OCEAN is an MPV, has built in beds and more.....
That’s my point doesn’t matter.
I think the concept of what camper vans and the life style of what it brings does get lost on some.
I see people in every sort of van you can imagine out and about from fiat nemos, to massive American school buses.
They are all enjoying camper van life :thumb 0A7FFBE4-3B79-4F04-A5D2-BBCF69EAC220.jpeg

Using your example, I doubt if very many people camp for 365 days a year and for those few that do, how many would have more than four persons on board? Sticking purely with either base vehicle and leaving camping equipment out of the equation, neither can sleep more than four adults comfortably. So as a camper van both versions perform that function well albeit with some compromise involved. The Ocean has built in facilities at the expense of space. The Beach has space but no built in facilities. That's it in a nut shell.

I would suggest that whichever version one chooses would depend on other factors and needs in ones life.

If you only need a campervan then the Ocean/Coast/SE format is excellent. However, if you need your van to do more than that, then the Beach is the one to consider. For those that are unfamiliar, here are some photos that show just some of the flexibility that you get with the Beach format. This flexibility doesn't mean it's a better vehicle, just suitable for a range of applications that many people may not need.

View attachment 84376View attachment 84380
View attachment 84375
View attachment 84371
View attachment 84382
thanks so much for this.

I was wondering if the table to could be used with two legs and connected to the side. Is that still possible on 6.1 with the little stove?

Some wise members on here (they are, they just don't seem it at times ;) ) advised me to not even consider the price when I was making the same decision. In my case the Beach, when specced up to Ocean level in terms of driving stuff, 3-window bellows etc was almost the same price (Ocean starts cheaper in Spain as there's no Coast) and it's tempting to think, ooh, I get the kitchen etc for free. Which is great until you wish you'd gone for the extra width of the 3 seat bed.

I agonised over it too and went for the Ocean on no more than a hunch it suited *us* better. Based on my own use of the current van, a Beach would suit *me* better. However the family loved the Ocean so my hands were tied in the end.

I don't think you'll regret it at all. It's not exactly expensive to hire a 7 seater or panel van should your kids require moving to Uni or something.
I’ve also taken the tow bar to just rent a trailer if needed

Thanks. I’m interested in your move from lwb to swb. Do you miss the space? Would you ever go back?
We didn't have swivelling seats in our LWB. Passenger side was double bench, later swapped for single. The swivelling seats in the Cali made good the difference lost in the swb.

The extra length in rear was handy for bikes, room for toilet, dog etc. It started out Ocean style, then removed half the cupboards to gain more flexibility/ seating options on floor mounted rails. Ditched the Smev sink/ stove in the process, not used enough to warrant the space.

Drivingwise you don't notice the difference, other than squeezing into smaller parking places.

Probably wouldn't go back, if only that any future change will probably be a self-conversion based on the Peugeot/Citroën/Ducato type mid height, medium length van. DIY as less and less impressed with what you get for your £ and the compromises in design/ increasingly over complex tech. It's good to know how things have been fitted so can resolve issues whilst away.

Many years off though, probably at a time when extended touring becomes an option for us.

You can't compare Beach and Ocean. They are different beasts that fill different niches, the same as the 2 seat Beach does a different thing to a 3 seat Beach and a twin door Tour.
Whilst I agree that they are very "different beasts", some time ago we found ourselves in circumstances where we had to seriously compare both models. We had the privilege of owning a late T5-1 SE 180ps dsg 4motion ex demo at the same time as a seven seat T6 150ps manual Beach, also an ex demo van. How we came to be in that position isn't important but we did intend to run them as our personal escape pod and general purpose family car respectively. Unfortunately Mrs B wasn't confident driving either so long story short, one had to go.

As it turned out the decision wasn't a difficult one. We kept the Beach because we found we could do everything in the Beach that we could do in the SE and a great deal more besides. We are now on our second Beach.

thanks so much for this.

I was wondering if the table to could be used with two legs and connected to the side. Is that still possible on 6.1 with the little stove?
Yes. Apparently you can connect it to the stowed away stove in the side wall with two legs deployed, or to the stove when it's out in it's working position, again with two legs deployed or finally have it standing on it's own on all four legs.

thanks so much for this.

The fold out stove has a double set of rails so you can connect the table with two legs to it whether it's open or closed.

Last edited:
I think @Auberg-ine has done that on a number of occasions.
Comparing photos of an empty Beach, mislabelled as a campervan, to a properly equipped Ocean correctly labelled as a campervan, proves only one thing. You have a MPV that you can take camping when it's loaded up and I have a campervan.
I think WG should offer his services at the Monty Python Argument Office. We know he's already volunteering full time at the Insult Office.

I think WG should offer his services at the Monty Python Argument Office. We know he's already volunteering full time at the Insult Office.
or alternatively, just get the facts straight?

Only following your example as THE MASTER.

or alternatively, just get the facts straight?
Facts are correct according to DVLA. VW have managed to convince them otherwise to the detriment of many other Campervan converters. Big business has its way, as usual otherwise the Beach would have a much higher Vehicle Exise Duty compared to the Ocean, as has happened in the past.

Facts are correct according to DVLA. VW have managed to convince them otherwise to the detriment of many other Campervan converters. Big business has its way, as usual otherwise the Beach would have a much higher Vehicle Exise Duty compared to the Ocean, as has happened in the past.

The DVLA define a “motor caravan”. I think that most reasonable people would not consider “motor caravan” and “campervan” to be synonymous. But even if you believe the DVLA definition of a “motor caravan” to define a campervan, surely you accept there are other ways to define a campervan. One loose definition would be “a van used for the purpose of camping containing one or more beds.

Eurotunnel used a different definition which certainly did not include the Beach. I recall in some of the Eurotunnel arguments, if you could book a Beach onto the shuttle as a car, you arguing that a Beach *was* a campervan.

The DVLA define a “motor caravan”. I think that most reasonable people would not consider “motor caravan” and “campervan” to be synonymous. But even if you believe the DVLA definition of a “motor caravan” to define a campervan, surely you accept there are other ways to define a campervan. One loose definition would be “a van used for the purpose of camping containing one or more beds.

Eurotunnel used a different definition which certainly did not include the Beach. I recall in some of the Eurotunnel arguments, if you could book a Beach onto the shuttle as a car, you arguing that a Beach *was* a campervan.
Agree, if you consider the Beach is a Campervan then you should pay the premium. Why should you be able to pick and choose.

If this is correct, according to you " One loose definition would be “a van used for the purpose of camping containing one or more beds." then conversion companies and self converters should also be allowed but they are stuck with " Van with Windows " .

As far as I am aware DVLA don't use Body Type - Campervan only Motor Caravan which encompasses Campervans to Motorhomes.

Agree, if you consider the Beach is a Campervan then you should pay the premium. Why should you be able to pick and choose.

If this is correct, according to you " One loose definition would be “a van used for the purpose of camping containing one or more beds." then conversion companies and self converters should also be allowed but they are stuck with " Van with Windows " .

As far as I am aware DVLA don't use Body Type - Campervan only Motor Caravan which encompasses Campervans to Motorhomes.

We had this issue with the regulations for use of the Rotherhithe Tunnel. A California is free to use the tunnel whereas a converted van risks a fine.

So it’s not really about Beach owners picking and choosing if their van is a campervan, it is about understanding the definition of a campervan given by the various authorities.

So it’s not really about Beach owners picking and choosing if their van is a campervan, it is about understanding the definition of a campervan given by the various authorities.
Yes, and as my post #141 demonstrates not even the DVLA can make up their mind.

These are hard to come by these days but the advertising clearly states they are an 'Overnight Camper'.

Might be worth seeing if this meets your needs (not to mention all the other incredible features.... Removals anyone!)!

maxi.png

I don't understand why you're even discussing this. The beach is a camper van in use regardless of how some bureaucrats in London label it.

I wouldn't get involved mate. It's a completely pointless discussion on 2 versions of a van that you can sleep in.

If people want an Ocean, get one. If not get a Beach. If not get a Transporter and convert it etc etc etc

It's pretty easy. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages, and neither is better or worse. Just different.

I think some people feel the need to justify their purchase decisions and belittle others because they are insecure.

It's ok to change your mind. It doesn't matter what anyone else 'classifies' your van as.

It yours. Do with it what you want and just enjoy it.

These are hard to come by these days but the advertising clearly states they are an 'Overnight Camper'.

Might be worth seeing if this meets your needs (not to mention all the other incredible features.... Removals anyone!)!

View attachment 84438

I worked for Leyland at the time. They gave me one as a company car. When I got promoted they gave me two,

Two oil slicks on the drive was more than I could take so I changed jobs :shocked

I worked for Leyland at the time. They gave me one as a company car. When I got promoted they gave me two,

Two oil slicks on the drive was more than I could take so I changed jobs :shocked

Nice :)

My Uncle had the equally venerable Princess. I'm not sure which was worse.

With such incredible design and technology it's unbeleivable that the Japanese and Germans took over the car market.... :)

princess_09.jpg

Who could resist with such incredible Marketing!

Nice :)

My Uncle had the equally venerable Princess. I'm not sure which was worse.

With such incredible design and technology it's unbeleivable that the Japanese and Germans took over the car market.... :)

View attachment 84473

Who could resist with such incredible Marketing!

I went with my boss to pick up his new princess. It was at the Bristol depot so on the way home to London he could really sit there, luxuriate in the space and fiddle with everything.

Half way home he felt something warm trickling down into his shoe. Somewhat embarrassed we pulled into a services .... so he could empty hydraulic fluid from out of his shoe, coming from the steering column :(

It was not all bad, I did have a Dolomite sprint in the drive once,

I went with my boss to pick up his new princess. It was at the Bristol depot so on the way home to London he could really sit there, luxuriate in the space and fiddle with everything.

Half way home he felt something warm trickling down into his shoe. Somewhat embarrassed we pulled into a services .... so he could empty hydraulic fluid from out of his shoe, coming from the steering column :(

It was not all bad, I did have a Dolomite sprint in the drive once,
Wow, very cool - certainly one upped my Grandads Triumph Herald!!

The only thing I remember about that car, was playing in it on my own and pulling out the cigarette lighter and marvelling at the Orange/Red glow then placing it square down into the palm of my hand (I was only 4 or something).

The concentric circle pattern was incredible on my palm. Then came the pain. I somehow hid the pain from my parents and grandparents and they never did find out for years after, when I felt I could actually tell them the story without getting a sound thrashing!!

Ahh, those were the days. :)

I wouldn't get involved mate. It's a completely pointless discussion on 2 versions of a van that you can sleep in.

If people want an Ocean, get one. If not get a Beach. If not get a Transporter and convert it etc etc etc

It's pretty easy. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages, and neither is better or worse. Just different.

I think some people feel the need to justify their purchase decisions and belittle others because they are insecure.

It's ok to change your mind. It doesn't matter what anyone else 'classifies' your van as.

It yours. Do with it what you want and just enjoy it.
Says he who has just got involved.

Anyway your missing the point. We know all that and this topic has been done to death many times before. Of course it's pointless but so is a game of tennis. Doesn't stop people enjoying themselves knocking a silly ball to and fro. :thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.