Ocean vs Beach and some general questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markcrawford55

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi Folks,

i get the ocean is the full fat camper with kitchen unit etc... vs beach which is i guess more like a Kombi with the seats sliding.... ?

is the beach also non elec roof ? and non heated seats generally ? Beach doesn't have night heater from what i can see ?

I've started to consider a california - having had my mind blown by the 1001 variants of camper/Kombi variations of the 'van'

found an ad on here for a T5 Beach which could be close to ideal.

i assume if the rear seat on a beach or Ocean was fully forward - they would both have the same room to the rear door ? if so can folk generally get a mountainlike in there with front wheel removed ?

Yes,

I think all Beachs have manual roofs, some prefer this.
Heated seats are an option. And come as standard on recent Oceans.
Yes aux heater is also an option on Beach.

With my Ocean (and Coast before it) I would remove the front stop in the rail to allow me to push the bench all the way forward (touching the rear of front seats). This allowed me to transport my XL size bike without taking any wheels off in the back.

Getting a mountain bike in a Beach is doable with the seats fully forward and the MFB removed , not sure you would have enough diagonal length to do that in an Ocean / se etc due to the fixed units.
possibly with front wheel removed

Hi Folks,

i get the ocean is the full fat camper with kitchen unit etc... vs beach which is i guess more like a Kombi with the seats sliding.... ?

is the beach also non elec roof ? and non heated seats generally ? Beach doesn't have night heater from what i can see ?

I've started to consider a california - having had my mind blown by the 1001 variants of camper/Kombi variations of the 'van'

i assume if the rear seat on a beach or Ocean was fully forward - they would both have the same room to the rear door ? if so can folk generally get a mountainlike in there with front wheel removed ?

I suggest start with the brochure. For more detail play with the configurator. https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/app/local/download-brochure.html?model=california

If looking at second hand there is a brochure archive in the resources section of this forum.

If you’re looking for an adaptable basic camper, then the Beach is for you. Also a bigger downstairs bed, and more room to haul stuff. I say this as an Ocean owner, but our needs were different.

Thanks so much guys….

Yea, defo thinking a beach is close to perfect, I do love the nicely converted vans, and the ocean California etc. as they lack so much in…. But in reality, I think the wider bed, more space generally and just using a decent portably compressor fridge and a single ring bib would do for 99% of overnights.

I would be using more as day van/daily… but like ability to kip in at a race meetings etc..

Thanks again for the specifics on mountainbike too…. Sounds superb!!!

Had both, se/ocean first, Beaches are tricky to get what you want as a lot of them weren't very well specced. All Beaches are manual roof, they're really easy to use. I waited until I found a beach with all the things I wanted. I have heated seats, 3 zone climate and night heater. I wanted xenon but it's like looking for hens teeth.
Getting your bike in is not a problem, you just need to spend a bit of time jiggling things around to get the position that works for your bike.

Thanks…. Yea, that’s the frustration with beaches (certainly the older ones) the dash….. and in particular lack of heated seats.. I know could add later, but lacks the nice factory look.

Night heater would also be great.

It will come down to what’s about….. and price.

Thanks…. Yea, that’s the frustration with beaches (certainly the older ones) the dash….. and in particular lack of heated seats.. I know could add later, but lacks the nice factory look.

Night heater would also be great.

It will come down to what’s about….. and price.

Had both, the Ocean was far better.
Loads of useable storage, which meant it was far easier to camp in.
If you spend less time camping than using it as a vehicle, then the Beach may work for you.

Hi Folks,

Had a Beach for five years now got an Ocean. The Beach is a brilliantly versatile vehicle, ours was a demo T6 so excellent spec, heater, three zone climatic control, no heated seats which we weren’t bothered about, yet to use them in the Ocean. Two seater rear bench gave us oodles of space, manual roof is standard. Beach would be ideal for you and your bike. Ocean’s are not better than Beach’s, both models are just different and offer different options depending on how you want to use the vehicle. Good luck with your search.

thanks guys - yes... all a compromise, and for sure i don't really plan to 'camp' with it much - ability to stay over at a race track...... maybe the odd time camping, but wouldn't be used as a 'camper' for regular wk ends and not for main holidays etc.... had full sized motorhomes for 12 year so have done that for a bit (and loved it)

this would be to replace my daily jeep.... but give me the ability to sleep at race meetings, carry a mountainbike.... and possibly on occasion camp with the family - albeit i know the beach in particular would not exactly be plush for that... it would however give a potentially better nights sleep with full width rear bed.

there is a T5 Beach advertised on here.... needs a replacement head unit, bit of paint work..... and then ideally for me towbar, heated front seats and a night heater installed and it would arguably be a perfect base vehicle...

i had looked at some T6 Kombi's but the fixed seats in rear being so close to the front seats just look a no go for me.

its a bit of a mind bend as there are just sooooo many variations of vans out there, but i am warming to this one... just a shame it needs a few bits and bobs, but if mechanically good - would probably be worth the investment

We have a 2022 Beach, it has heated seats and a diesel heater (both were options we ticked). It also has a fold our gas hob inside, but we don't use that as we prefer to cook outside to avoid smells and humidity inside.

Yes, it has a manual roof but I'd have any issue with this. Haven't tried an electric roof but putting the roof down on ours isn't difficult.

We have the three seat bench version as it is also our everyday car, so we wanted as much flexibility as possible.

that sounds like a lovely van.........

i have also spotted this SE - so more Ocean spec i guess.... advantages over the Beach above is it obv has the slightly nicer dash (and obv working screen/unit !!) and heated seats, and night heater... obv as well as the kitchen unit.. its moderately high miles - but was a one owner vehicle... full VW history - albeit a few of the stints between services are longer than ideal.

If you go for the beach it's worth a haggle on price for the jobs that need doing. It's worth ditching the kenwood for some thing newer. I find mine is pretty awful, it will be swapped when funds allow.

thanks guys - yes... all a compromise, and for sure i don't really plan to 'camp' with it much - ability to stay over at a race track...... maybe the odd time camping, but wouldn't be used as a 'camper' for regular wk ends and not for main holidays etc.... had full sized motorhomes for 12 year so have done that for a bit (and loved it)

If you are not going to camp often then I would recommend a Caravelle. I am just about to swap my very high spec 2015 Exec 180 DSG for a Beach as I now need a pip up roof for the three kids. Before I had three it was fine for camping. I will message you with some pics.

The Brandrup extreme blinds go behind the side sun blinds really well. The three seater bench is a nice bed. Wife and no 3 in the van. Me and #1 and #2 in the tent. I hope to squeeze us all into a Beach. Only changing to get that pop up roof bed.

IMG_20230604_173636.jpg

there is a T5 Beach advertised on here.... needs a replacement head unit, bit of paint work..... and then ideally for me towbar, heated front seats and a night heater installed and it would arguably be a perfect base vehicle...

The description states that it has 3 zone aircon, a picture of the dash shows that it has the basic single zone ie, same temperature both sides at the front & no aircon at all to the rear.

I am biased being an Ocean owner, but it is great being able to leave all the camping gear in the built in cupboards when using the van for other duties, other than fresh food our van is ready to be used at a moments notice.

Other than the obvious kitchen & electric roof differences there are other differences between the specs of the base van on a typical beach & ocean.

Opening window in side sliding door
front parking sensors
heated seats
The beach comes with single headlights, a standard ocean with twin, that particular ocean looks to have aftermarket LEDs
Front opening window in roof
2 leisure batteries as opposed to one.
soft motorised closing on slider and bootlid ( that ocean has a full motorised slider)
Double glazing in the rear
Electric folding mirrors.

If you are not going to camp often then I would recommend a Caravelle. I am just about to swap my very high spec 2015 Exec 180 DSG for a Beach as I now need a pip up roof for the three kids. Before I had three it was fine for camping. I will message you with some pics.

defo need a pop top....... on the occasions we sleep at a race meeting me and potentially wife and two daughters would (could) stay.. and a tent is not an option

The description states that it has 3 zone aircon, a picture of the dash shows that it has the basic single zone ie, same temperature both sides at the front & no aircon at all to the rear.

I am biased being an Ocean owner, but it is great being able to leave all the camping gear in the built in cupboards when using the van for other duties, other than fresh food our van is ready to be used at a moments notice.

Other than the obvious kitchen & electric roof differences there are other differences between the specs of the base van on a typical beach & ocean.

Opening window in side sliding door
front parking sensors
heated seats
The beach comes with single headlights, a standard ocean with twin, that particular ocean looks to have aftermarket LEDs
Front opening window in roof
2 leisure batteries as opposed to one.
soft motorised closing on slider and bootlid ( that ocean has a full motorised slider)
Double glazing in the rear
Electric folding mirrors.
that's really informative ! - thanks !! yes - i thought the dash in general on the beach looked very basic.... sounds stupid - but i do hate that 'basic' layout, and also hate the lack of heated seats (albeit not expensive to retrofit) but i definitely want heated seats.

wasn't aware of the motorized boot and side door.. nor double glazing in rear - that must make a fair difference compared to many vans to be fair !

i did think the lights on the ocean looked different/more modern - looks like they are day time running LED maybe.

will buzz the dealer to see - but it looks like they have already discounted it from 39,995 so no doubt isn't wanting to take too much of a bath on it - but i see lots of dealers with discounts, so they definitely are not flying off the shelf like they would have done the past 2-3 years

the ocean looks like new - despite the miles.... its a one owner, so i suspect it was owned by a couple with a fair bit of time to explore...... fair play to them

Just a few points:
1. The standard Beach dash is basic but über practical. The more luxurious "Comfort" dash is a lovely thing that gives an air quality but it isn't as practical. Unlike the standard version, there are no useful cup holders in the dash top and the number of useful cubby holes is also reduced.
2. Motorised door closing is very useful on a campsite at night but it isn't that essential.
3. The double glazed windows are not fitted to every window in the van and from my experience make little difference to either insulation or sound proofing.
4. If you have either a factory parking heater or an after market job then the heated seats will be pretty much redundant. I'm on my third van (SE, Beach and Beach) and had heated seats on each van. Never once have I used them.
5. If you are looking at buying either a T5 or T6 then the headlight options vary a lot from almost useless H4 basic HLs, very good H7s or absolutely amazing LEDs. My advice is try to find an example with either of the latter HLs fitted.

this would be to replace my daily jeep.... but give me the ability to sleep at race meetings, carry a mountainbike.... and possibly on occasion camp with the family - albeit i know the beach in particular would not exactly be plush for that... it would however give a potentially better nights sleep with full width rear bed.

i had looked at some T6 Kombi's but the fixed seats in rear being so close to the front seats just look a no go for me.

its a bit of a mind bend as there are just sooooo many variations of vans out there, but i am warming to this one... just a shame it needs a few bits and bobs, but if mechanically good - would probably be worth the investment
That’s one of the reasons I just sold my kombi after owning Calis, and jokers could handle them rear seats so close to front seats nightmare

thanks guys............ Borris - interetsing on headlight variations !! there really are a ton of variations on these babies !!

on the heated seats - it would be for when driving, i use them a lot even in 'summer' as my back is really bad - and heat generally helps ease it... obv they can be retrofitted to the Beach tho

Just a few points:
1. The standard Beach dash is basic but über practical. The more luxurious "Comfort" dash is a lovely thing that gives an air quality but it isn't as practical. Unlike the standard version, there are no useful cup holders in the dash top and the number of useful cubby holes is also reduced.
2. Motorised door closing is very useful on a campsite at night but it isn't that essential.
3. The double glazed windows are not fitted to every window in the van and from my experience make little difference to either insulation or sound proofing.
4. If you have either a factory parking heater or an after market job then the heated seats will be pretty much redundant. I'm on my third van (SE, Beach and Beach) and had heated seats on each van. Never once have I used them.
5. If you are looking at buying either a T5 or T6 then the headlight options vary a lot from almost useless H4 basic HLs, very good H7s or absolutely amazing LEDs. My advice is try to find an example with either of the latter HLs fitted.

cup holders is interesting..... your comment made me google.. does the likes of this not fit both a beach and an ocean ?

its says it fits California.. but doesn't stipulate the differences in dash.

whichever van i get - definitely need cup holders.. my current jeep has a couple of awesome sturdy cup holders in the middle which get regular use !!

cup holders is interesting..... your comment made me google.. does the likes of this not fit both a beach and an ocean ?

its says it fits California.. but doesn't stipulate the differences in dash.

whichever van i get - definitely need cup holders.. my current jeep has a couple of awesome sturdy cup holders in the middle which get regular use !!
The "Comfort" dash was an expensive option on the T6 Beach and in the usual VW fashion, came as a package with other options included. If you were to go for a T6 with comfort dash you do get 2 x cup holders in the front centre of the dash. However the dash top CHs on the basic dash are much better as they aren't in the way, don't compromise the busy front centre of the dash area and can have other uses as well e.g loose change, keys etc. The comfort CH offering isn't bad but involves pulling out a sliding CH tray that can vibrate and get in the way. The basic dash has fixed plastic CH wells built into each side of the dash top.

Both the vans in the adverts mentioned above have the standard T5.1 cup holders, it’s a pull out draw with two holders to the left of the gear selector. The comfort dash etc came in with the T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back