Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean vs Beach and some general questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks both - every day is a school day !!

Hi Folks,

i get the ocean is the full fat camper with kitchen unit etc... vs beach which is i guess more like a Kombi with the seats sliding.... ?

is the beach also non elec roof ? and non heated seats generally ? Beach doesn't have night heater from what i can see ?

I've started to consider a california - having had my mind blown by the 1001 variants of camper/Kombi variations of the 'van'

found an ad on here for a T5 Beach which could be close to ideal.

i assume if the rear seat on a beach or Ocean was fully forward - they would both have the same room to the rear door ? if so can folk generally get a mountainlike in there with front wheel removed ?
On the MTB question I can fit my full sus large frame, my wife’s small frame and sons bike all in, wheels on and space for passengers.

Treat yourself to a LHD you get the nice dash, heated seats, climate control and 4motion, even an electric roof if you want. U.K. options suck.

IMG_4971.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

i get the ocean is the full fat camper with kitchen unit etc... vs beach which is i guess more like a Kombi with the seats sliding.... ?

is the beach also non elec roof ? and non heated seats generally ? Beach doesn't have night heater from what i can see ?

I've started to consider a california - having had my mind blown by the 1001 variants of camper/Kombi variations of the 'van'

i assume if the rear seat on a beach or Ocean was fully forward - they would both have the same room to the rear door ? if so can folk generally get a mountainlike in there with front wheel removed ?

1st time 2021 beach owner here, I think it depends what spec you get.

Personally we wanted a bigger bed, more space when bed is away. Storage never been an issue, we use Vanessa canvas bags a that go into the rear windows, we get clothes in there for 3/4 of us.

We never wanted to “cook” in the van, it would stink, got a Webber travel BBQ, fridge in the back, lots more space in the back for stuff. The stove that comes out is plenty to use if we had it heat stuff up/boil water etc.

It’s fully spec’d also. Heated seats, heated windscreen, larger media unit, lane assist, park assist, reversing camera - it has everything you can get from a tech point of view and it has auxiliary heater.

Manual roof, less to go wrong with.

Overall, the extra space and bed size is better Imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach all the way for us nowadays. We had an Ocean before and struggled with space (2 kids) and only having 4 seats. Kitchen in boot and fridge behind passenger seat. I can now get the MTB in the back if need be. You can be really flexible with how you use it.

Hope you find the right van.

IMG_1560.jpeg

Hi Folks,

We opted for the Coast over the beach as we have found the fridge to be significant benefit. We’ve slept downstairs and it’s fine for two adults. We are going for a bike rack on the tailgate rather than having to play around with the interior configuration. Heated seats were optional but so glad we got them.

Here in Australia only the Beach is available. VW therefore offers all options, which I took advantage of, though at great expense. My Beach is my daily driver and this is where the Beach thrives. It fits into my employers underground parking, it gets reasonable fuel economy, I can remove all the seats when I need a removal van, I can put in my additional two rear seats when I need to carry 7 people and I can put in my rear kitchen when going off on a trip. Versatility is the key. The compromise comes when you pull up to a campsite, it is cold and raining, so you make do until morning. With good planning this rarely occurs and so it is near perfect for our needs.9C44908F-221A-4E3C-8BBA-BD308750BA98.jpeg

1st time 2021 beach owner here, I think it depends what spec you get.

Personally we wanted a bigger bed, more space when bed is away. Storage never been an issue, we use Vanessa canvas bags a that go into the rear windows, we get clothes in there for 3/4 of us.

We never wanted to “cook” in the van, it would stink, got a Webber travel BBQ, fridge in the back, lots more space in the back for stuff. The stove that comes out is plenty to use if we had it heat stuff up/boil water etc.

It’s fully spec’d also. Heated seats, heated windscreen, larger media unit, lane assist, park assist, reversing camera - it has everything you can get from a tech point of view and it has auxiliary heater.

Manual roof, less to go wrong with.

Overall, the extra space and bed size is better Imo

I presume you don't have a kitchen at home and cook and eat in the garden then?

I presume you don't have a kitchen at home and cook and eat in the garden then?

Calm down Welshly G.

I mean, my kitchen isn’t tiny space, has an extractor fan and isn’t made from materials that would absorb smells.

Think you probably missed the point there……?

Not sure, it read pretty condescending to me although I slept badly and haven’t had a coffee yet

I think it boils down to keeping life as simple as possible. If I want a beer/brew at home I just wander into the kitchen. If I wake up in the the Cali I just reach over and put the coffee pot on the stove then relax in bed whilst it does it’s thing.

Still, I suppose with a Beach you always have the option of one of those moronic slide out kitchen pod nonsense things?

I think it boils down to keeping life as simple as possible. If I want a beer/brew at home I just wander into the kitchen. If I wake up in the the Cali I just reach over and put the coffee pot on the stove then relax in bed whilst it does it’s thing.

Still, I suppose with a Beach you always have the option of one of those moronic slide out kitchen pod nonsense things?

Had no idea this forum was like this, is it some big competition or something? - very strange.

Seeing as it’s how it is, I whack a pod in the travel nespesso, is that okay ?!

Also have the option of a small removable kitchen pod in the van. Which avoids the need to carry the kitchen sink etc around all the time and gives the option of 7 seats when needed.

Ocean usually works out as better value, Beach gives more versatility. Just a case of choosing what works best for the individual.

I didn’t mean to reignite this debate. My wife and I owned a campervan in the 80’s with a kitchen and loved it. We could have bought a transporter and got it converted with a kitchen but we wanted a California and the Beach is the only option in Australia.
We love it. Everyone on this forum loves the California (presumably) and arguing over which is best is rather juvenile. They are all great but some serve individuals needs better than others. We are not all working, we are not all retired, we all don’t have kids to travel with us.
Enough from me.

I didn’t mean to reignite this debate. My wife and I owned a campervan in the 80’s with a kitchen and loved it. We could have bought a transporter and got it converted with a kitchen but we wanted a California and the Beach is the only option in Australia.
We love it. Everyone on this forum loves the California (presumably) and arguing over which is best is rather juvenile. They are all great but some serve individuals needs better than others. We are not all working, we are not all retired, we all don’t have kids to travel with us.
Enough from me.
Neither one is better than the other, they are both good vehicles they just provide different options depending on an individual’s family’s needs.

If you make comments like this :-

We never wanted to “cook” in the van, it would stink,

then expect pushback comments because many owners of the SE/Ocean disagree and use their vehicles as intended by the manufacturer without these “ perceived “ problems made by non-owners.

If you make comments like this :-

We never wanted to “cook” in the van, it would stink,

then expect pushback comments because many owners of the SE/Ocean disagree and use their vehicles as intended by the manufacturer without these “ perceived “ problems made by non-owners.

The key word is “we” here, absolutely no need for you to be so condescending but here we are.

More bitchy than mums net

I suggest you keep to " Mumsnet" then as you obviously have experience of that site.

Good grief, you’re retired so going to assume you’re well experienced in life, astonished at how you can still be shouting at strangers on the internet.

And I’d suggest reading a book on how to communicate

Good grief, you’re retired so going to assume you’re well experienced in life, astonished at how you can still be shouting at strangers on the internet.

And I’d suggest reading a book on how to communicate

Keep digging. The pit will soon collapse on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back