Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On hook up battery displayed not plug

BillyCasper

BillyCasper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

When mains cable attached the display is showing the battery and not the plug.

Battery power is good, but did drive back from France on Monday
The three pin plug is active
Have reset control panel.

Any ideas?

Van is going in tomorrow for the sinking roof to be checked out, for second time. I will raise it then, but interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

When mains cable attached the display is showing the battery and not the plug.

Battery power is good, but did drive back from France on Monday
The three pin plug is active
Have reset control panel.

Any ideas?

Van is going in tomorrow for the sinking roof to be checked out, for second time. I will raise it then, but interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Sounds as if the Battery Charger is not on as it provides a signal to the Control Panel.
Does the Control Panel show a change in voltage when the Mains is plugged in?

If not, then it is possible the IEC Mains Plug has become disconnected, or if not the Charger has failed.

Many thanks Welshgas. I wiggled the IEC plug on top of the rear leisure battery. It was fully in but it generally doesn’t feel tight.

Connected mains, plug displayed.

12.n V on battery, 13.n V on hook up.

Last edited:
Is there anything else working of 220v ?
Is the mains switch , switched ON ?

Is there anything else working of 220v ?
Is the mains switch , switched ON ?

If anything, I think the problem is that the IEC plug is not a snug fit, it’s quite loose. I’m taking it to SMG tomorrow for a roof repair, so I will mention it.

Our RCBO unit failed on our 2012 SE in year 4 stated with occasional not plugin showing steadily got to stage when no plug showing in at any time. Batteries only being charged from the alternator. After checking all the other possibles causes already mentioned concluded the fault was at RCBO unit, which was confirmed by dealer replaced and issue fixed. Understand it is rare for them to fail but ours did. Could be your issue if all other things ok.

Last edited:
@Loz
Would this schematic be the same for my 2006 SE Cali?
I believe yes. I don't think the Leisure 12v system or the 230v system has changed in general layout throughout the T5/T5.1 and T6 range apart from one thing. The position of the Mains Charger has moved from below the Refrigerator to above the Rear Leisure Battery, sometime around 2012 I believe.